Bruges

Discussion in 'Travel' started by DozyBint, Mar 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A Kiwi work colleague is heading over there for a weekend next month to hook up with her father who'll be on a business trip. Is anyone able to recommend a good hotel and restaurant(s) as well as anything that'd be good for them to see and do?

Ithangyou...

2. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Bruges? That's in Belgium, isn't it?

Recommend a day trip to England, France, Germany ..... ;-)

3. Your coat? But of course... :D

4. blue-sophist

5. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

My last trip to Belgium was to SHAPE in Mons so I'm not much use to you but a friend of mine has spent time in Bruges.

I'll email him (he's in the middle of the Med at the mo) and get back to you.

6. Thank you! The alternative is that they stay in Brussels - a better or worse option do you think?

7. blue-sophist

My blissfully brief recollection of Belgium is eat your way down the street of a thousand restaurants in Bruxelexlexes .... but that was a loooonnnnggg time ago.

8. Tell her that under no circumstances should she visit the Tin Tin museum in Brussels, she will become comatose!

9. Get a horse drawn cab from the Grand Place. It stops half way round for the 'oss to have a drink - right by a rather attractive bar where you can do like the horse! Also the boat trips are good value and show a side of the city you will miss just wandering around.

Restaurants a la touriste are pretty much of a muchness and most are quite good. An early evening stroll around the square allows you to recce, then move in for the kill. Sea-food and carbonnade (flemish beef stew) are two of the high spots. Wash it down with a selection of beers before bimbling home - streets are pretty safe by the way.

10. blue-sophist

Frites with everything, of course ...

11. Are you a biker? If so why not try this, I stayed here last year, really friendly but basic (1*) accomodation. Good food and drink. Excellent entertainment. However, it is about 15 miles from Brugge. http://www.grd.be/motorhotel/

12. Brussels restaurants are now hellishly expensive if they're any good, and pretty moderate if they're not.

Best to head for the more suburban cafes/restaurants, especially on the east side, out of the eating zone of the Eurocrats, and the kind of places where the local Bruxellois tend to eat. Great scoff at affordable prices.

Drooling at the thought. Room for a passenger??

13. Bruges is a beautiful place. Try any of the resturants on the main square. the one on the right as you come in from the main carpark/bus station is excellent and there is a Rumanian waiter who speaks bits of about 16 languages. Tripadvisor.com has some good hotels to stay in. You must tell them to take a boat trip. It is quite charming and very relaxing.

Bruges is well worth a visit. Try the beer musee and the cathedral as well. It is one of my favourite places. Brussels it is not. It is tiny but once one of the richest cities in the cworld - middle ages that was - and the original centre of european banking if I remember correctly. There are good flee markets on Sundays

14. What I remember of Bruges is that it is beautiful - or at least the cobbles along one side of one of the many squares in Bruges. All I saw were cobbles - spent the entire time (on a day trip from Ypres) simulating an upset & angry volcano, after indulgences in the hostelries / establishemnts of Ypres previous night. :puker:

But it was a good trip (I think)

15. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Bump. Any recent ideas. I fancy mayo and chips in January?