Browns Recess

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by FINCO, Mar 15, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know the history of this tradition?

2. Brown was a QM with a weak bladder who at his dining out left a legacy that would be known as Browns recess. a toilet break after the meal at a regimental dinner before the speeches. Damn Sensible Bloke!

3. JG

Don't fight the force, don't believe all that they tell you about the Dark Side. Look how Babysham has deserted you??

Luke, I am your real father, put your prejudice behind you and embarace the Dark side. :cry:

4. I think Brown had his bits blasted off, thats why he had probs. :oops:

5. Speaking as someone who has a bladder the size of a ping-pong ball, I am a big fan of the Brown's Recess.
    However, I note that there has been a recent amendment to this long-standing tradition. BR Amndt 1(a) dictates that RSMs of certain MI battalions, when troubled by a call of nature prior to the official recess being announced, may leapord crawl the entire length of the dining hall before slinking out to use the toilets; concurrent to this, the remaining 70-odd diners must immediately strike up conversation with the person to their left and pretend that they haven't noticed (excepting the person immediately to the right of the RSM, of course, who must shout across the empty void to compensate). Animated conversation is to continue until said RSM reappears in the dining hall, drops to the floor and leapord crawls his way back up the length of the dining hall to retake his seat.
    I wondered if contributors knew of any other quirky amendments to this ruling?

6. I hate to be a crushing bore
    I think we've had this thread before, its late, but still in this condition
    Brown was FINCO Cromac Mission

Ormeau by soda

7. Major (QM) Kim Brown was dined out by the WOs and Sgts' Mess, Ashford. What he actually said, after the Loyal and other Toasts, was "RSM, I have got rather a lot to say and I would like everyone comfortable so that they listen rather than be preoccupied with the urge to go, may we have a short recess". The RSM agreed (It may have ben Mark Westbrook but I'm not sure anyway it was in the very early 80s) and then we all returned. Brown then gave us all his pearls of wisdom and the usual lecture about the youth of the day not being up to the mark etc, etc and when it was time to go the RSM bade him farewell and declared that the mess would observe Brown's Recess in perpeturity. It has been controversial ever since with the usual complaint being taht it was disloyal to leave the table before the Toast. It never was intended to be that way and I can tell you the coffe brandy and cigar were so much better being relaxed after the recess. Good move Kim I say.

8. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Seems regular custom in Crab messes [after Loyal Toast], perhaps to avoid those interesting stains on the carpet? :lol:

9. We do it in the RN too, except it's called "Ease springs".

10. Just to be completely pedantic -

Brown's Recess.

11. My dear lady.

One is either pedantic or not. You cannot be "completely" pedantic.

See how you need SNCOs to keep you on the right track?

12. Bu@@er! Clearly there are not enough SNCOs around the Directorate - can I offer you a post? :D

13. REFUSE. DON'T DO IT!!!!

YOU WILL NEVER BE THE SAME AGAIN. I HAVE SEEN PEOPLE GO IN THERE SANE AND COME OUT BARKING MAD. :crying:

14. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Interesting pedantry there. "Unique" is an absolute value [i.e. you can't be "amost" the only one, you are or you aren't]. But a "pedant", according to the OxDic, is capable of being subject to "degree". :wink:

"I am a bit of a pedant, you are an SNCO, he is a General" and she can punctuate.:lol:

PS: "Dear Lady" could be seen as either patronising or evidence of cost; which is it, Sir? :lol:

15. interesting use of the words Ox Dick there b_p :)