Browns interview with BBC on SUnday

ARMED FORCES

AM: You mention the Army. A lot of people look at what's happened to the Army, the very, very poor level of accommodation, the relatively low level of pay, the shortage of front line soldiers in terms of - there's a recruiting gap of about two and a half thousand front line soldiers - and then they read that half the Navy, what's left of it, is going to be mothballed.

And they ask "are you really playing fair by the people that you as a government are sending out to fight and die for us around the world"?

GB: I was in Basra only a few weeks ago and met the Army, and I must say I've got nothing but admiration for what they are going in the most difficult of times.

AM: What about their accommodation, Chancellor? Because, you know, there's been a real issue about this.

GB: I agree that there is an issue, and although most of the accommodation has been brought up to standard, there is more to do.

So in the next few weeks there will be more being spent in a new phase of accommodation improvement.

And then over the next ten years I think we'll be putting about £5 billion into improving army and defence forces accommodation. But I'm convinced that we've got to more. We will do more.

AM: You'll do something for them?

GB: Yes, I'm convinced we've got to do more and we will do more. And let me say it's part of my recognition that the defence forces are not only an essential part of the security of the modern world in a way that perhaps people have not previously realised that because of the terrorist threat it's actually right at the heart of people's worries about their own future. But also they just do a brilliant job.

Malteser said:
AM: What about their accommodation, Chancellor? Because, you know, there's been a real issue about this.

GB: I agree that there is an issue, and although most of the accommodation has been brought up to standard, there is more to do.

So in the next few weeks there will be more being spent in a new phase of accommodation improvement.

And then over the next ten years I think we'll be putting about £5 billion into improving army and defence forces accommodation. But I'm convinced that we've got to more. We will do more.
[url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6240635.stm][color=blue]BBC[/color][/url] said:
The Tories have called for an inquiry into the estimated £2.3bn cost of the Ministry of Defence's new Whitehall HQ.

The party want the National Audit Office (NAO) to look into the private finance refurbishment project, the cost of which will be repaid over 30 years.
[align=center]...[/align]

In an interview with GMTV, Mr Cameron described the "fantastic" new 10-floor MoD building in London as having "no expense spared".
So Gordon thinks so much of the Armed Forces that he's been happy to let them live in sub-standard accommodation whilst signing off on this project which offers civil servants:

[url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6240635.stm][color=blue]BBC[/color][/url] said:
...a restaurant, coffee bar, large plasma screens, a gym and "quiet rooms" where staff can relax.
Malteser said:
AM: You'll do something for them?

GB: Yes, I'm convinced we've got to do more and we will do more. And let me say it's part of my recognition that the defence forces are not only an essential part of the security of the modern world in a way that perhaps people have not previously realised that because of the terrorist threat it's actually right at the heart of people's worries about their own future. But also they just do a brilliant job.
They've had 10 years to "do more" - why do Brown and Bliar in particular keep banging on about the things they "will" and "must" do as if they only took power 10 days ago?

Most accommodation???? :evil:

Who is he kidding?

What % of accommodation has been brought up to what standard?

He says we need to spend 5 billion over 10 years to make it better,
But I'm convinced that we've got to more. We will do more
In other word, we were trying to save money and do things on the cheap, have been found out and are now spinning merrily away to make it sound as if we really care.....

What chance of that?

P1ss and wind

Malteser said:
GB: I was in Basra only a few weeks ago and met the Army, and I must say I've got nothing but admiration for what they are going in the most difficult of times.

Do you think the BBC have it in for Gordon? I watched the edited highlights of this interview on TV Sunday morning, although I saw and heard all the bits in between, these two complementary extracts appeared to be missing!!!! or have I developed selective hearing and eyesight in my old age? :(

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Southern Africa 15
harry7134 Films, Music and All Things Artsy 14
Lance_corp_more_rant The NAAFI Bar 20