Browns call "for new hero bank holiday"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ben34567, Aug 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In the news today it mentions that Brown, in all of his wisdom, wishes to create a new bank holiday, at an economic cost of up to £6bn to thank 'local heroes'.

BBC Local 'Heroes'

I have 2 main points:
    a)Is it me or could this money surely not be spent better towards an overstretched military, for which Brown has recieved much recent critisism over poorly funding?

b)Secondly, I think it is a scandal that as lads, some as young as 18, are preaturely giving up their lives in the defence of this country, they are immediately glossed over when it comes to this new 'hero holiday'. It is not to undermine these heroes in local communities that, im sure do very positive things, however i feel more should be done to raise the profile of the brave men and women dying far too regularly in the middle east for a cause created by the government.

End rant.

2. No reason why it could not be for a soldier from a local area. It seems a waste of money though and may be subject to too much political interference.

3. Armed Forces Day throughout the UK where the real people can thank those who are defending them worldwide.Free travel to all serving and ex service personel throughout the UK.Free booze,free food and free smoke to those who smoke on that day. That will hearten the Armed Forces moral folks.God bless them all wherever you are folks. :D :D

4. I read that it was for ordinary people,so there is no chance that this goverment (or any other for that matter) would allow it to be a squaddie,and any way why tag in on to Rememberance day! that is a special time and has been for donkeys years,its bad enough that the two minute silence is hijacked for every thing nowadays,if they want a day for local hero's ok have one but separate from Rememberance day

5. As as our towns local hero is Paddy Mayne it could means two days following his tradition of getting pissed in the Legion ,trashing it and fighting allcomers ,Paddy Mayne Day sounds good to me :D

6. Yanks give up chairs in restaurants and places in queues for uniformed soldiers, and this happens, quite regularly, 365 days a year. All this in a country which values and supports their troops, and backs them up with cold hard cash to get the job done.

Britain has no pride in it's services, and our Government stifles funds at every opportunity. Their idea of a hero is probably as questionable as their ideas of a fairly run country.

'Here you go Britain, have another bank holiday on me. This one is for all the immigrant care workers, firefighters on strike, and criminals who have not reoffended in the last six months. Oh, and I suppose soldiers can take the day off too. You owe me one.'

Only Labour could give an extra day off such a bad taste in the mouth.

7. WTf has this got to do with brown? It is a proposal by a thinktank. The article doesn't even mention that Brown has even heard of this.

8. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

This is partly our own fault. If we were seen around in uniform more, we would be seen as playing a much more central role in our communities and I think you would be surprised by the goodwill shown by the British public.

I'm all for another Bank Holiday: let's have it on the closest Monday to 11 November.

9. Great idea...... Never gonna happen though.

Lets have August the sixth too, call it 'Nuke the Japs' day

10. The link below is to a recent CNN article that has a table of all the main countries total paid holiday entitlements including bank holidays. The UK and the USA are in the bottom 5 you will be unsurprised to learn. Finland & France however look like a holiday paradise's

http://money.cnn.com/2007/06/12/pf/vacation_days_worldwide/

With only Rumania having less bank holidays than us, I would say we have a good case for at least two days more :)

11. You surely don't believe that anything discussed by these taxpayer funded 'thinktanks' doesn't have Browns grubby fingerprints all over it from the start? This comes suspiciously close on the heels of Gordons' book on everyday heroes (none of which, incidentally, were servicemen or women - which would explain a lot about the man).

Britain is the only country on the so-called 'winning' side of the 1st World War that doesn't have a day off for it.

12. Heroes' Day? What will those cnuts dream up next? T72s up Whitehall? I just wish these mongs would disappear. Ten years is too much and the joke's wearing thin now.

13. You surely don't believe that anything discussed by these taxpayer funded 'thinktanks' doesn't have Browns grubby fingerprints all over it from the start? This comes suspiciously close on the heels of Gordons' book on everyday heroes (none of which, incidentally, were servicemen or women - which would explain a lot about the man).

Britain is the only country on the so-called 'winning' side of the 1st World War that doesn't have a day off for it.

14. Make 11/11 a public holiday irrespective of the day of the week on which it falls and prohibit retail trading prior to 1200 hrs.

15. Nonsense. It is all very well criticizing Gordon Brown but criticizing for the sake of criticizing waters down legitimate concerns.