Browns call "for new hero bank holiday"

In the news today it mentions that Brown, in all of his wisdom, wishes to create a new bank holiday, at an economic cost of up to £6bn to thank 'local heroes'.

BBC Local 'Heroes'

I have 2 main points:
a)Is it me or could this money surely not be spent better towards an overstretched military, for which Brown has recieved much recent critisism over poorly funding?

b)Secondly, I think it is a scandal that as lads, some as young as 18, are preaturely giving up their lives in the defence of this country, they are immediately glossed over when it comes to this new 'hero holiday'. It is not to undermine these heroes in local communities that, im sure do very positive things, however i feel more should be done to raise the profile of the brave men and women dying far too regularly in the middle east for a cause created by the government.

End rant.

No reason why it could not be for a soldier from a local area. It seems a waste of money though and may be subject to too much political interference.

Armed Forces Day throughout the UK where the real people can thank those who are defending them worldwide.Free travel to all serving and ex service personel throughout the UK.Free booze,free food and free smoke to those who smoke on that day. That will hearten the Armed Forces moral folks.God bless them all wherever you are folks. :D :D

Trooper! said:
No reason why it could not be for a soldier from a local area. It seems a waste of money though and may be subject to too much political interference.

I read that it was for ordinary people,so there is no chance that this goverment (or any other for that matter) would allow it to be a squaddie,and any way why tag in on to Rememberance day! that is a special time and has been for donkeys years,its bad enough that the two minute silence is hijacked for every thing nowadays,if they want a day for local hero's ok have one but separate from Rememberance day

As as our towns local hero is Paddy Mayne it could means two days following his tradition of getting pissed in the Legion ,trashing it and fighting allcomers ,Paddy Mayne Day sounds good to me :D

Yanks give up chairs in restaurants and places in queues for uniformed soldiers, and this happens, quite regularly, 365 days a year. All this in a country which values and supports their troops, and backs them up with cold hard cash to get the job done.

Britain has no pride in it's services, and our Government stifles funds at every opportunity. Their idea of a hero is probably as questionable as their ideas of a fairly run country.

'Here you go Britain, have another bank holiday on me. This one is for all the immigrant care workers, firefighters on strike, and criminals who have not reoffended in the last six months. Oh, and I suppose soldiers can take the day off too. You owe me one.'

Only Labour could give an extra day off such a bad taste in the mouth.

cpunk

LE
skintboymike said:
Yanks give up chairs in restaurants and places in queues for uniformed soldiers, and this happens, quite regularly, 365 days a year. All this in a country which values and supports their troops, and backs them up with cold hard cash to get the job done.
This is partly our own fault. If we were seen around in uniform more, we would be seen as playing a much more central role in our communities and I think you would be surprised by the goodwill shown by the British public.

I'm all for another Bank Holiday: let's have it on the closest Monday to 11 November.

cpunk said:
I'm all for another Bank Holiday: let's have it on the closest Monday to 11 November.
Great idea...... Never gonna happen though.

Lets have August the sixth too, call it 'Nuke the Japs' day

The link below is to a recent CNN article that has a table of all the main countries total paid holiday entitlements including bank holidays. The UK and the USA are in the bottom 5 you will be unsurprised to learn. Finland & France however look like a holiday paradise's

http://money.cnn.com/2007/06/12/pf/vacation_days_worldwide/

With only Rumania having less bank holidays than us, I would say we have a good case for at least two days more :)

You surely don't believe that anything discussed by these taxpayer funded 'thinktanks' doesn't have Browns grubby fingerprints all over it from the start? This comes suspiciously close on the heels of Gordons' book on everyday heroes (none of which, incidentally, were servicemen or women - which would explain a lot about the man).

Britain is the only country on the so-called 'winning' side of the 1st World War that doesn't have a day off for it.

Heroes' Day? What will those cnuts dream up next? T72s up Whitehall? I just wish these mongs would disappear. Ten years is too much and the joke's wearing thin now.

You surely don't believe that anything discussed by these taxpayer funded 'thinktanks' doesn't have Browns grubby fingerprints all over it from the start? This comes suspiciously close on the heels of Gordons' book on everyday heroes (none of which, incidentally, were servicemen or women - which would explain a lot about the man).

Britain is the only country on the so-called 'winning' side of the 1st World War that doesn't have a day off for it.

mnairb said:
Nonsense. It is all very well criticizing Gordon Brown but criticizing for the sake of criticizing waters down legitimate concerns.

sandy_boots said:
Make 11/11 a public holiday irrespective of the day of the week on which it falls and prohibit retail trading prior to 1200 hrs.
What if you need to buy Single malt for you hip flask or a poppy.... or a bag of wine gums to scoff at the service of Remembrance.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Cynical as I am
A) This goverment has no love for the forces
B) A bank holiday the monday after rememberance day aka ' Hero's day'
C) why do you need two days?

Pretty soon the H&S nazis and local councils who are slowly killing rememberance day as it is will be telling the general public we won't need a rememberance day - because our war dead and serving hero's can all be celebrated on = Hero's day
Along with the lesbian social workers a druggy who has gone 1 week without heroin, footballers and other council nominated toss pots

Wait and see :x

the_boy_syrup said:
Cynical as I am

Pretty soon the H&S nazis and local councils who are slowly killing rememberance day as it is will be telling the general public we won't need a rememberance day - because our war dead and serving hero's can all be celebrated on = Hero's day
Along with the lesbian social workers a druggy who has gone 1 week without heroin, footballers and other council nominated toss pots

Thats the point I was trying to get across,keep Rememberence Sunday for what it is and the 2 minute silence

TartanJock said:
Armed Forces Day throughout the UK where the real people can thank those who are defending them worldwide.Free travel to all serving and ex service personel throughout the UK.Free booze,free food and free smoke to those who smoke on that day. That will hearten the Armed Forces moral folks.God bless them all wherever you are folks. :D :D
That's half the problem, the forces aren't defending them, they're off doing a dirty job that whether they sink or swim will make very little difference to the lives of the average Briton. It's not that people don't value the forces it's just that they can't see any point in what they're doing.

the_boy_syrup said:
Cynical as I am

What a load of rubbish.

15 years ago in my town VJ Day saw one or two Old soldiers remembering their dead. Now we have a healthy corps of veterens who step forward to remember. This without any overt help from the council BUT with their support of the ceremony by stopping traffic etc.

Last Year our memorial was overhauled with the work being finished just before VJ day. this meant that there was considerable disruption to the traffic flow. The council could have left it since it severely affected the traffic flow and therefore tourists, but it was worked on and We now have a memorial that is hard to match anywhere in the country.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Southern Africa 15
harry7134 Films, Music and All Things Artsy 14
Lance_corp_more_rant The NAAFI Bar 20