Browns Biggest Failure Was the Welfare State

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by miles_gloriosus, Aug 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Browns biggest failure "WAS" the welfare state...Should that not read IS? He is currently still in the process of destroying the system as we speak. His disgraceful tenure as PM, will be judged when he and his cronies are ousted at the next general election...The problem is that there really isn't an alternative. Does anyone really believe that a Tory government will do any better? Or that a Lib Dems (stop laughing) have a chance of ever seeing government again?

I can't see a viable option on the horizon, and that is a major concern and just the way Brown wants it to stay :x
  2. Fair point. It must have been my overwhelming urge to only think of him in the past tense.
  3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

With so many big failures to choose from, I would need to spend the rest of the week cross-referencing before I could agree.....
  4. I've had said the Welfare State was Tony Bliar's worst political mistake ever. At a time when Neu Labour had the political support to start true reform, He completely and utterly bottled it, like a gutless little wannbe...
    • Like Like x 1
  5. It still is the biggest mistake and needs major root and branch reform, support those are do require help and get those the scroungers off it ASAP
  6. 100% with you on that Mr D. Our generous welfare state is the root of many other problems. Whoever eventually decides to tackle it will come in for alot of flak. I always thought that Frank Field knew what he was doing which is why he didn't last long under the Emperor.
  7. The fundamental problem is that the welfare state, and the NHS, are un-reformable because even where the public acknowledges that there is a problem, they refuse to accept any of the solutions. Trying to change anything is political suicide.

Sodding democracy... ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. So, is it called the welfare state because it's "well fair"?
  9. The problem with the "welfare state" isn't its generosity, the problem is that those that know how to exploit the system get a good bit of cash (and other benefits such as rushed to the head of housing queues, etc.) while those that have no clue get pushed under by bureaucrats who see them as easy targets. A good few ex-squaddies fall into this trap when they leave, they get ground under by a system that just doesn't care.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. The biggest mistake of all has been the policy of Labour to promote the incompetent. They do it in the party, they do it in government and the push the idea amongst the public too. If you are incompetent, it's someone elses fault, so you still deserve to get what is 'your due'.

The failure to sort out the welfare state and reduce the numbers of welfare 'lifers' is Gordon Brown's fault, and Gordon Brown is Labour's fault.
  11. Brown is by definition a failure.
  12. Was his biggest failure.
    As in he hasn't finished yet and there are bigger fook up's in the pipeline
  13. Well put it this way ....

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel "pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the promised land."

Nearly 60 years ago, Aneurin "Nye" Bevan said, "Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a Camel, this is the promised land."

Now Cameron has stolen your shovel, taxed your asses, raised the price of Camels, and mortgaged the promised land!

Furthermore, I was so depressed last night thinking about this fake recession and all the bullshit health care plans, the economy, the wars, lost jobs, diminished savings, Social Security, retirement funds, etc., I called the Samaritans, the suicide help line. Got a call center in Pakistan . I told them I was suicidal.

They all got excited and asked if I could drive a truck. . :)
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Blair & Brown a Pair of Tossers add Dave and you have a Prile.