Browning Stalker

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Rikki_Tikki_Tavi, Jun 6, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any chaps own or tried the newish Browning Stalker (buggered if I can remember if its A, T or X bolt). Im looking for a short barrelled .243 and it seems a good option?

2. Cannot talk to the .243 version but spent a while in the company of a .223 X bolt equipped with an illuminated Swarovski Z6. Shot very well indeed, far better than I had expected.

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

If its the short barrel 51 cm whatever those are its the A bolt UK stalker, is it threaded as a factory option? if so then thats the jobby synthetic with a bronze matt finish. Just to confuse the issue there is also an X bolt stainless stalker which is threaded. Info correct from 2011 catalogue!

4. the other make you might take a look at, which seems to be a similar price, is the Tikka T3 Lite (20" barrel)...never owned one but have heard plenty of good things about them and are supposed to be extremely accurate out of the box...

5. Cheers, just read that the A bolt actually comes as 22 inch for .243 win. Longer than I was hoping. Ive used T3s and always been happy...blatently angling for a cheaper option though.

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Cheaper? Go for Howa, as for accuracy out of the box being astounding, I'm afraid the big aftermarket accurizing industry only serves to flatter the shooters ego and empty his wallet. I firmly believe that the turning point was the Ruger 77Mk2 and the only thing astounding out of the box should be innacuracy!
    With Tikka and Sako you just dont see any aftermarket add ons, they are fine as they come. Its the factory US stuff that people have this urge to tinker with and most of them make stuff for Howa. Honestly VFM I would get a Howa dealership if I could!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Mongo

Mongo LE Reviewer

When my 7 numbers come in I'll get in touch!

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Mate we will have such a toy shop!

9. Mongo

Mongo LE Reviewer

A man can (and I do) spend a lot of time dreaming about what to buy with a win!

• Like Like x 1
  10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Oh yes!

11. Re the Tikka T3 a few blokes in my rifle club have them and swear by them. I fired one in .308 at Bisley on Saturday and got a couple (out of 10 total) in the bull at 600 yards. That was prone, with a moderator and using a bipod, scope, and shooting left-handed, but my first time with a full-bore rifle (I'm a never-served civvy) so i've got nothing to compare against. It's now on my wish list once i get my FAC, alongside a 303 and a couple of .22LR

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The thing to remember is that the Tikka is the cheap long action rifle fitted with magazine blocks to allow your choice of cartridge to feed. The Sako (same company as Tikka) make the rifle action and magazine to suit the cartridge length but apart from that there is very little difference bar price.
    Modern factory made bolt action stalking rifles are capable of Moa and out perform most service rifles on the range but thats what they are capable off. I wouldnt take a T3 for fibua!

13. There is a little bit of aftermarket stuff for the Sako / Tikka from your man Pete Lincoln over at Roedale... not much I grant you
    Roedale Precision - Stocks
    Roedale Precision WebShop - Tikka

14. Word on the street is that Savage are turning out some of the cheapest yet most acurate rifles at the moment.