Browning 9mm

Just got one question regarding this handgun. I've only seen civilian issue/available Browning Hi-Powered handguns and they all seemed to feature the annoying (and useless) magazine safety.

Does the army-issue L9a1 handgun, does it feature a magazine safety?

Yes.

This has led to the official drill of placing a magazine onto the weapon to ease springs (a bit frightening when its newbies/old biffers doing an unload of a partially-filled magazine...).

The issue pistol also the magazine-retaining spring, which was sometimes removed (unofficially), along with a few other mods ..... apparently (ahem)....

Is it also the case that the magazine itself will not completely drop from the gun when the mag release button is pressed due to the magazine 'safety' or is that pure pub bullshit?

Manchester_Rogue said:
Is it also the case that the magazine itself will not completely drop from the gun when the mag release button is pressed due to the magazine 'safety' or is that pure pub bullshit?
crap.

Oddbod said:
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/MagazineSafety.htm

The mag. safety CAN prevent the mag. from dropping free.
That doesn't mean it WILL but that it's happened with some Hi Powers.
For two years i fired a Browning Hi-Power almost every other day, drawn from a pool of around 50 pistols and never have I had a magazine not release when using the magazine release catch.

Any SASC guys in here that could have something to say on this?

You can zero them to the firer, however in my experience when you use pool weapons this is never done as the adjustments are only fine adjustments.

polar69 said:
So you fire a couple of sighters and aim off as needed ?

Please note the only pistol I have ever shot was an air pistol
If it has been issued for operations you will have fired that weapon before.

4(T) said:
Yes.

This has led to the official drill of placing a magazine onto the weapon to ease springs (a bit frightening when its newbies/old biffers doing an unload of a partially-filled magazine...).
More accuratly put, the drill is to use a magazine (even with rounds in) to fire off the action, not ease springs. Ease springs would chamber a round and then firing off the action would cause an ND.

Or am I just being picky? :oops:

If all you want to do is relieve the hammer from a cocked position, you can release the magazine safety with your finger in the magazine well.

The saturday night finger into the mag housing is done regularly but it's highly unofficial. The mag safety is there to stop you NDing when your mag is off not to hinder you. It's a great pistol considering it was designed in 1898.
You'll find modern pistols do not have safety catches (SIG Sauer ect) just de-cocking levers. The theory being if you don't want to fire the pistol, don't pull the trigger.

HAve used the sig sauer P228 and p226 in the past and found them both to be excellent pistols, but found the 9mm rounds after 500 or so had been fired were to powerful and caused the topslide to crack, near the ejection slot.

As for the 9mm do you know if a mod was put onto the pistol after the Wood and Howe thing ( the guys got caught in a funeral in NI in the late 80's), as i seem to remember seeing the footage that they managed to get one round off which they fired over the heads of the crowd , then the magazine had actually fallen off.

You zero the pistol for elevation by changing the rearsight. There's a choice of two. Lateral adjustment is done by knocking the rearsight sideways with a hammer and drift.

I've shot a lot of pistols in different calibres over 20 years and I still think that other than it's lack of DA there's very little reason to fault the Hi-power/GP35/L9A1.

Gun_Doc said:
The saturday night finger into the mag housing is done regularly but it's highly unofficial. The mag safety is there to stop you NDing when your mag is off not to hinder you. It's a great pistol considering it was designed in 1898.You'll find modern pistols do not have safety catches (SIG Sauer ect) just de-cocking levers. The theory being if you don't want to fire the pistol, don't pull the trigger.
Hmm, so why is it designated P35 (as in Pattern of 1935) and its progenitor was the magnificent Model 1911? Check patent dates.

In my experience I have observed that the presence of a magazine safety has contributed to NDs amongst inexperienced users and it just goes to highlight the old saying that the best safety device 'resides between the ears and just behind the eyes'.

Edit for information- got my anorak on:- :lol:

Patent No. 1618510 June 28, 1923 February 22, 1927 AUTOMATIC FIREARM
led to the Browning Hi-Power
9mm short-recoil, locked-breech, exposed-hammer semi-automatic pistol. This was John M. Browning's last pistol development. [1 BrHT]

Manchester_Rogue said:
Just got one question regarding this handgun. I've only seen civilian issue/available Browning Hi-Powered handguns and they all seemed to feature the annoying (and useless) magazine safety.

Does the army-issue L9a1 handgun, does it feature a magazine safety?
Yes - if that's the thing that means U can't fire it without a mag on.

Many ill-trained young uns and old have been caught out by it (least fatal: Wing Nut, cleaning Coy 2ics browning puts a round thru ops room wall - 1974. Most fatal: circa 1979; ******** RMP on small hours sangar duty with female colleague: strips and assembles wpn; loads mag - eases springs on empty chamber. Then (not thinking) re-cocks weapon (full mag on) points at lass, and shoots her in the head.

There was a time when the Browning Hi Power was responsible for more deaths through small arms fire in NI, than the IRA had inflicted on the Army. REASON: because folk thought "small weapon = small threat" therefore "small training" - and gave it to users with minimal training. Just like you'd do with a Mini - small car - no need for full driver training - right?

I first carried it on ops in NI in 1976 - 21 yrs old - handgun down my levis - thought I was the business.
Then I realised I couldn't hit sh*t with it.
Then I began to practice.
By 1980 I was capable with it.
In 1997, outshot the Brit Practical Handgun Champion, at a Bde SAA meeting (we were both beaten by a Gurkha scaly)
By 2000 it had been my personal weapon for over 15 years - never fired it in anger, but at 20 metres could get a consistent 2" snap shot group, from the holster.

I'm short-sighted and, by this stage arthritic, but I've reached a point where I can group well enough not to worry about adjusting the sights on a pool weapon - I can shoot well enough to stay alive, even if I never got to Bisley.

In my view, a classic weapon.

Sabre said:
As for the 9mm do you know if a mod was put onto the pistol after the Wood and Howe thing ( the guys got caught in a funeral in NI in the late 80's), as I seem to remember seeing the footage that they managed to get one round off which they fired over the heads of the crowd , then the magazine had actually fallen off.
No - there wasn't - sadly, that was his sloppy loading (bad training = bad skills, see above)

In the early 90's Units like mine began to receive Brownings with extended safety catches (as opposed to the horrid little things I grew up with), but I think that was just Hereford stock being 'retired' into the Green army as the Gun Club took up Glocks or whatever folk are leaving in Sainsbury's these days.

polar69 said:
Dumb question time , do you have to zero pistols ?
Yes you can - see other posts about how to do it.
In my view: if you can group small, and apply fire instinctively, zeroing offers very little advantage in a close-range situation.

But that's exactly when you need every very little advantage you can muster . . .

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Hols4Heroes Christmas Auctions 78
Bubbles_Barker Shooting, Hunting and Fishing 11
Brew_Time Infantry 111