Browne to be MOD part -time

I thought I was part-time, but it turned out that I'm just casual...

I wouldn't mind betting that he's still getting a pension for it though.

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Agree with the comment above, this is an indication of the utter contempt that G Brown has for the Armed Forces. Quite deliberately, he is showing the Forces that they are of little concern.

You can bet that from now on, when a difficult question is asked, or something said in the House, Browne will be involved with his other job - whichever is easiest for him

Part-time Minister of Defence? Words fail me.

Agree with seanbean,

But Broon is actually signalling the marginalisation of the Scottish Office rather than the MoD (which couldn't be much more marginalised even if they left it out in the rain for a few weeks and refused to feed it).

The Tartan Toilet has its own Assembly and they're going to have to get off their behinds and do a lot more work under the new 'administration', leaving Swiss Des with more than enough time to carry on fcuking up the MoD in the time honoured fashion.

Some at the MoD are actually PLEASED that Des has kept his portfolio.

Shurely shome mishtake.

Edited to add that Swiss Des is a big chum of Alex Salmond, the Scots Nats chappie, so there's another reason for the Jocks to stick together.

I don't see what the surprise is - his attitude always struck me as 'part-time' anyway.

I understand that Mr. Browne's professional experience in his legal career largely focused on child law - just the sort of grounding one wishes to see in a Defence Secretary.

why cant the governement put someone in the armed forces to job share with Mr Browne .

At least then we can have someone in authority who can advise mr browne the right way look after our armed forces and soldiers welfare etc.
Or is it going to be another thanks for nothing like we had from our other past p.m.

On BBC Five Live this morning they did a link up with BFBS in Basra the station manager said that the guys there would like John Reid back as Sec state for defence

Hmm, I don't know much about this guy other than he's anti-US and that his name reflects the color of poo.

seanbean said:
Merely the opening moves.... It's going to get a lot messier - Broon hates Defence with a vengeance.
Seconded.

Be afraid. Be very afraid... :twisted:

I stopped and searched a cab outside Main Building the other night (I'm MDP) the fare was the BBC political Journo Nick Robinson. While waiting for checks on the driver I spoke to him about whether Browne would keep his job, his opinion was that the military chiefs / PUS like him because he does what they tell him. Besides there is absolutley no one with defence experience of any sort in the labour party, so because of the various operations and he is already there he stays.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It seemed that the MOD appointment was an afterthought. Defence was not mentioned. May the PM was waiting to see if any of the so called big hitters (ie talentless party hacks) would be willing to take it on. Obviously thay know what Brown feels about it so choose not to. So Des gets to stay.