Browne backed by Defense Chiefs

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Browne is defending his job in front of hostile MP's with the backing (he says) of the MOD and the BeLiar-in-Chief.

Beeb Clicky

After they were freed earlier this month, the navy allowed some of the 15 crew members to sell their stories - a decision criticised by families of servicemen and women killed in action, opposition politicians and former military leaders.

Mr Browne gave the sale of the stories his blessing but then said with hindsight he "could have made a different decision".

He said he accepted full responsibility for the navy's decision, adding the "buck stops with me".
You're damn right buddy, the buck does indeed stop with you, and yes, you MUST resign without any further delay or prevarication. Why? Because even though you are the Armed Forces Minister, by allowing the 15 detainees to sell their stories means you have a total lack of understanding of the rules of the MOD and previous cases. If you didn't even know that this would be a bad mistake and gave it your blessing despite the fact that it was frowned upon in a BIG way for such things to happen, you are obviously not fit to head the department. IGNORANCE is not only no excuse, it is a bl00dy disgrace. Nobody who is that ignorant of the department and forces in its remit is fit to head such a department.

Bugger off now and save any further embarrassment to us all. T0sser.

Why is he getting the support of senior officers in the Pentagon?

He could always fall on his sword but then again will all the defence cuts he won't be able to find one!!!!!

amended version

He could always fall on his sword but then again with all the defence cuts he won't be able to find one!!!!!

I have one he can borrow......briefly.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
western said:
Erm, sorry "the support of the Great Leader". Is that better?

How about this:

Home Secretary John Reid admitted Mr Browne's job was on the line but praised his "courage" in accepting responsibility.

He told Sky News: "You take decisions every day of the week when you hold a great office of state...

"I think it was courageous [of Mr Browne] to say we got this thing wrong."

*******!

Courageous is deploying on Ops without proper body armour. Courageous is climbing into a Snatch Land Rover, Courageous is putting your life on the line for your comardes, courageous is what the families of the dead have shown on so many occasions, courageous is everything you spineless bunch of wasters are not..

Courage? You don't know the meaning of the word.

If the Chain Of Command supports you, then The Chain Of Command has lost the right to command.

western said:
Why has He got the full confidence of the officers at the very top of the CofC?

Incidentally, who is more out of touch, those generals on the top table or the members of ARRSE quoted as being against Brownes retention

Promotion for Honours?

caubeen said:
The reports are that Sir Jock Stirrup spent the weekend running round whipping in other admirals, to declare sufficient support for Browne that he can rise in the Commons this afternoon and claim the confidence of the Forces.
Blair seems to have backed him, and the bookies are offering quite long odds against Browne resigning.

He looked a profoundly unhappy man on his way to Cabinet this morning.

As he should be. The whole thing has been shameful . . . .
Why was Sir Jock doing this? Does the position of Whip now come with his job too? 8O

On the question I set at the start of this thread, no-one has yet given me a satifactory answer of why Browne deserves support. Any others from the MASSIVE 14 pro votes willing to tell me?

Brought across from another thread for airing here too

The word early this am was that Adm. Sir Jock Stirrup spent the w.e. whipping-in as many other admirals and defence chiefs as possible, to express confidence in Browne. And they may well have done so, as a form of working with the devil they know.

Blair's statement of support is in a conventional form of words, and seems solid - if undramatic.

The bookies are offering very long odds against Browne resigning.

So no change seems likely at this stage.

Sorry Caubeen - brought your point across already. It was a good one after all. :D

Beat me to it, ITC! - on migration from that parallel thread.

I don't know on what grounds the admirals are backing him. The cynic in me wonders if it might be as an alternative to some of them taking early retirement themselves.

When did Sir Jock change from an Air Chief Marshal to an Admiral??????????

Sven said:
western said:
Why has He got the full confidence of the officers at the very top of the CofC?

Incidentally, who is more out of touch, those generals on the top table or the members of ARRSE quoted as being against Brownes retention
No just silly jibe at the use of the word Defense rather than Defence.

Well, there are at least two of us here.

Got another of those cigars, ITC?

Evening Standard has a different angle

The Tories accused him of unfairly trying to offload blame to the Royal Navy and its second in command, Vice Admiral Adrian Johns.

They claimed that the Second Sea Lord did not agree to the 15 personnel selling interviews, because he was kept in the dark for several days after Mr Browne and his officials had been told.

Shadow minister for forces' families welfare Mark Harper said he had been passed information that Vice-Adml Johns only found out on Sunday April 8 - the day the row broke in the newspapers.

The MoD did not directly deny the claim that Vice-Adml Johns was unaware of the decision. But a spokesman said: "The submission that went to the Defence Secretary was sent from (Johns's) department."

The claim raises the question of whether junior naval officials actually pushed through the disastrous policy and whether they heeded advice from Mr Browne's team at the MoD.

caubeen said:

I don't know on what grounds the admirals are backing him. The cynic in me wonders if it might be as an alternative to some of them taking early retirement themselves.
Is it just the Admirals. News at 1 have just had a reporter saying that Stirrup took "discreet soundings" - so much for whipping up support. The result was "overwhelming support".

Perhaps the CGS is one of the 14 who voted as I did

The_Cad said:
If the Chain Of Command supports you, then The Chain Of Command has lost the right to command.
Seconded - Mind you, Perhaps the Chiefs have one eye on future cuts and would rather scratch Des's back than bend over and get fcuked by the Treasury using him as a condom....

Sven said:
caubeen said:

Is it just the Admirals. News at 1 have just had a reporter saying that Stirrup took "discreet soundings" - so much for whipping up support. The result was "overwhelming support".

Perhaps the CGS is one of the 14 who voted as I did
Come on then Sven. You are the first person to actually say that you voted for Browne to stay. Tell us all why

PS There is no need to tell us of your political leanings - we already know them :D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Felix_the_cat Infantry 2
C Officers 21
M Classified Ads 7