Brown wants to allow children to vote...

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by stoatman, Nov 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On PMQ's last Wednesday, the Prime Mentalist stated that he supported lowering the voting age to 16. This smacks of a Labour government again looking to lower the voting age on the assumption that children will vote for Labour because they "want to help the poor people", as they did back when the voting age was lowered from 21.

But, this is all very interesting when contrasted with what 16-year-olds and 17-year-olds were permitted to do back in 1997 that they are no longer allowed to do, and various current proposals in a similar vein:

Buy a penknife, scissors or cutlery (previously unrestricted, then 16, now 18).
    Purchase an airgun (previously 17).
    Buy cigarettes (previously 16).
    Buy fireworks (previously 16?).
    Leave school (proposal to raise age to 18).

Here: http://heresycorner.blogspot.com/2009/11/votes-at-sixteen.html is a very interesting blog post on the topic. Some selected excerpts:

Put it back to 21, I say...

2. I would have said 25 meself Stoat

Even at 21 the majority of my thinking was conducted 2 feet 6 south of my head :D

3. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

If they're old enough to pay tax then they're old enough to vote.

Oh, and 16 year olds are only children in England and Wales. At sixteen you're an adult in Scotland.

4. I'd go with what sixty says, if you pay tax you should have a say in the running of the country.

5. I think it should be 18, whilst i have no doubt that some 16 year olds will be able to vote, the vast majority won't (and that included me at that age).

6. I agree.

7. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Now all you have to do is define who is paying taxes....good luck on that one.

S_R

8. Sixty

No I don't. They're old enough to pay income tax, therefore they should be allowed to vote (irrespective of whether they pay it or not). Simple.

9. I would agree in general that if you're paying taxes (although very difficult to define, since everybody pays VAT, and what about a 4-hours on minimum wage on a Saturday job?) you should get a say. However, how many 16-17-year-olds (or even 16-21-year-olds) these days actually are?

If they raise the school leaving age to 18, practically no under 18's will be paying (income-) taxes.

10. So being 16 and able to vote as you are now classed as an adult (and pay taxes) will also allow you to join the army and go on Op tours? Mmmmm =(

11. 16-year-olds are legally children, the vast majority are still at school (maybe in the near future they will all be at school), and are not considered mature enough by the government to buy a pair of scissors.

Get the same government considers the mature enough to have a say in the governance of the country?

12. Sixty

In England and Wales.

13. Curses, I was hoping this one would run :D

For arguements sake, however, why should people have a say in the running of the country if they don't/haven't contributed to it?

14. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I disagree. Labour-domination of the schooling system, with Labour agendas means that most kids in state educashun are already being programmed to vote for the spastics we are about to throw out of power. I'd say keep it as a minimum of 18 so they've had a chance to learn a bit more before signing on the dotted line.

15. Sixty

Ooh, very Starship Troopers :D

I can see your point but it's hard to define 'contribution' to the country. What counts? Banging out a sprog (paying for us in old age), being on benefits (valuable support for the tobacco and white cider industries)?