Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Brown to sell our Health Records

mad_mac said:
BT acts as a clearing house and sends your hospital a records to your Primary Care Trust, Strategic Health Authority, the Department of Health and even ‘Dr Foster’.

So the data is sent via BT (who won the telecoms contracts which was bid on by other companies) to your records on the database? Whats the surprise and horror about that? Siemens, Cisco and Thales are all other companies who could have provided this service. Just because they are the intermediary doesnt mean everybody in the company can read their neighbours medical records. The terms of the contract will forbid them even looking at the data being sent, only sending it to where it needs to go. The NHS is not capable of doing this, hence why it was contracted out just like with the computer system contract it self. There is a company out there in charge of the system that actually stores the data. But thats what contracting in expertise is all about.
As for the hassle of getting your data off the network, i doubt its a "conspiracy". How often have any of us had problems as the result of some muppet making a mistake on the paper work or not having a clue how the system works? It is a bad situation that should not happen, but its not evil.

And back to the thread. Patient willingness to allow 3rd party access to their records should not be assumed, it should be asked for. Next time your at the docs they should ask you for your support of the scheme or not. Id not be surprised if already the people working on this in Whitehall all have their names down as refusing. Yes the data is useful, but not at the expense of individual freedoms. Wasnt this scheme or something similar proposed and canned a few years ago, or is it the same thing different label?

The problem of taking your records off the system is that omission of said records is probably enough reason for an insurance company to refuse you cover without giving a reason.

Hi,this is alora.Healthy Circles is a personal health record that supports a vast array of features, all designed with your health in mind. Within an easy-to-use interface, you can manage permanent health information and/or keep track of and report your daily activity.If you want more please visit us.
===========================
alora

free phr

alora26 said:
Hi,this is alora.Healthy Circles is a personal health record that supports a vast array of features, all designed with your health in mind. Within an easy-to-use interface, you can manage permanent health information and/or keep track of and report your daily activity.If you want more please visit us.
===========================
alora

free phr

Er...

Yeah.

I´ll think about that. Thanks for the offer.

Re NHS computer system. How hard is it really to set up this data base? Surely all we need to do is have a central database where DOCTORS and other HEALTH PROFESSIONALS can access the info.

No one else needs to know the actual details. For the stats guys a simple "+1 for diabetes" or "+1 broken arm in boating accident will suffice".

It is not that difficult. All that is required is a answerable provider who will get prison time for breaches of trust. A ofrm of vetting by a sensible and known provider, not "rent a comms" putting in the cheapest bid and cobbling it all together with Polish Scribes to write and re-write.

exile1 said:
The problem of taking your records off the system is that omission of said records is probably enough reason for an insurance company to refuse you cover without giving a reason.

Quite. Rather like asking for a bank loan when you're not on that bastion of Victorian bureaucracy: the Electoral Roll - which any JoFo can fill in without any checks and which anyone can access.

Who actually owns the "data"?

The patient, the NHS, the doctors who wrote it (as in individually each bit) or the government?

I don´t mind them selling my data.... as long as I get a significant cut. Couple of grand a word would suffice.

So the data is sent via BT (who won the telecoms contracts which was bid on by other companies) to your records on the database? Whats the surprise and horror about that? Siemens, Cisco and Thales are all other companies who could have provided this service.

Those other companies you mention, would have to have around 180/200 sites, throughout the UK, capable of housing between 1 and 7 server racks. Those sites would need an access control system. I suspect BT won the contract because they were the only company capable of hosting this network.