Brown supports special medal for casualties

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by CharlieBubbles, Dec 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I suppose it is cheaper than paying for proper medical treatment and pschcological treatments for those in real need!

When will this bloody government realise, that is the right support is there at the right time for what ever the reason, they will be far more respected, that just lets give the poor lads a bloody medal.

The USA have a 24 month 'Veterans Programme', where they the individual and their family are helped to move forward after what has been a life changing experiance.

What do we get here? A fight with the Mod to get the recognition for the harm they have sustained while serving their country!

A Bloody Medal, what an insult, proper medical care and follow up would be what most would want!
    :evil: :evil: :evil:

2. Completely agree. Those injured in service of our country should be given adequate lifetime care instead of a bloody medal or an insurance payout.

Gits! :roll:

3. A medal for getting shot? That's like getting a medal for having your house burn down...

4. Rayc

Rayc RIP

A Wound Medal differentiates the men from the boys!

It has it value.

But it does not mean that lifetime medical facilities are not given!

A campaign medal does not show who all saw the 'whites of the enemy's eyes' and who pushed a pen!

5. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

No it doesn't. It differentiates between those injured & those not. It is quite possible, & happens on many occassions, to receive a medal for galantry without being hurt. Are you suggesting those individuals are lesser beings because they are uninjured?

6. Even someone that pushed a pen can get hit by mortar shrapnel or what not.. I've never liked the American purple heart idea and I don't like this..

I read somewhere not too long ago that a bunch of yanks blew up a car (etc) and it was full of chlorine gas which they didn't know, as a result they inhaled a bit of the gas - purple hearts all round.. 8O Now I'm not taking anything away from the fact they destroyed a potentially very dangerous weapon but it's hardly seeing the "whites of the enemy's eyes"

7. I disagree there is nothing big and hard about getting injured, Just mainly bad luck.
    Who would decide what the criteria is for getting one? 2CS regt had more casualties on OP Telic 1 from falling down scud trenchs than they did anything else.

8. From this bunch of twonks? It's knee-jerk quickie.
    Of course I love, no I won't come in your mouth and the cheque's in the post.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the medal it's just that I tend to be on the cynical side when these pious, hand wringing liars announce anything.

I suspect they'll have to pay for the medal or it will come in from 2010 or somesuch bolleau.

9. If they're going to do that, why don't they just bring back the old system of wound stripes to be worn on No2 Dress. Recognition at a fraction of the cost of producing a new medal. Might even leave a bit left over for proper medical care.

10. Those are seriously stupid comments.

I can only presume you have never served.

11. Rayc

Rayc RIP

I have served and I have seen more wars than you could imagine!

Have a gallantry award as also a Wound Medal.

The difference is that I am from a different Army!

If wounded, I rather have a wound medal than no medal!

Notwithstanding, I still say that there should be medical benefits till the time the wound heals or a compensation for being combat disabled and unable to work!

Happens in my army!

12. Rayc, I bet you have a medal for doing your shoe laces up and wipping your arrse as well?

13. Thats making the assumption that you have a set of two's to wear them on (TA for example, and the cunning plan of binning No 2's for the regulars) and of course, an arm to wear the wound stripe on.

To be honest I don't like the idea of a medal like the purple heart, especially not when the gobment is trying to cut back on just about everything except their own expense accounts. What will be cut to provide this medal, after all it has to be agreed in the first place, designed, produced, someone is going to have to decide on the criteria for awarding it. There will no doubt be reams of paperwork for it (to be submitted in triplicate) and then the medal office can send it out 3 years after the individual qualifies for it.

What sort of criteria would there be for it? Any injury sustained in an operational theatre? Only those injuries directly attributed to enemy action? Would any serious illness caught in theatre count? for one that is only prevalent in that area. Physical injuries only, or mental conditions? Who would be responsible for applying for it? If you qualify for more than one will you get a number on the ribbon? bars? how about an injury badge to add to the operational tour medal?

Even better, bin the idea and concentrate on caring for those injured physically and mentally.

14. It's stating the blindingly obvious I know, but Brown is desperatley trying to show that he understands and empathises with the armed forces!!!!! It's true folks! (and infintely cheaper than say, a proper military hospital, or something like the level of care that US wounded receive from their veterans administration).

15. Like this? You know you want to