Brown plans major reshuffle as poll shows Labour faces elect

According to The Scotsman
Brown plans major reshuffle as poll shows Labour faces election disaster

Published Date: 31 May 2009
By Tom Peterkin

GORDON Brown is planning a radical "reshaping" of his government to avoid electoral meltdown as polls suggest Labour faces disaster at the European elections and could even end up behind UKIP.

The shake-up could see close links with the Liberal Democrats established and even the inclusion of senior Lib Dem figures such as Vince Cable in the government.

According to reports, Brown's team is looking at a "game-changing" reshuffle after ADVERTISEMENT
the
election and not just the simple reshuffle that often follows poor poll results.

Constitutional reform, including the possibility of using proportional representation in elections, is said to be favoured by as many as half the cabinet.

The need for action was underlined by a Populus Poll published yesterday which asked people how they would vote in this week's polls. The replies suggested that over the past three weeks, Labour support had fallen by nine points to 16 per cent.

The Tories dropped four points to 30 per cent, while the Lib Dems fell eight points to 12 per cent.

UKIP were the main party to benefit from the slump, rising from 13 points to 19 per cent – overtaking Labour for the first time. The Greens rose five points to 10 per cent and the BNP went up three points to 5 per cent.

When the sample was asked about their voting intentions for the General Election, Labour fell by five points to 21 per cent while the Tories went up two points to 41 per cent.

Tellingly, 62 per cent of those surveyed believed that the Prime Minister was most damaged by the whole expenses fiasco compared with just 5 per cent who thought that Cameron was.

Just 14 per cent believe Labour is likely to win the next General Election outright compared with 51 per cent, who think the Tories will win.

Labour's desperation to distance itself from the expenses row is illustrated by a blueprint for a letter that has been issued to European candidates.

All candidates have been advised of the form of words they should use to attempt to empathise with voters when writing about the expenses issue.

The letter, obtained by Scotland on Sunday, acknowledges "how angry people are with Westminster politicians". It advises candidates to say: "I suspect you are as fed up as I am as day after day more stories come out showing greed and in some cases, serious wrongdoing.

"I would like to echo Gordon Brown's words – that I am sorry that the political system has let you down. And as for the media reports that a Tory MP is blaming his constituents for his expense claims and thinks that 'we're all just jealous' is unbelievable."

In an attempt to pin the expenses scandal on the Tories, the letter was referring to the Conservative MP Sir Anthony Steen, who declared that the public had no right to "interfere" with his private life after it emerged that he had claimed for the treatment of 500 trees in the grounds of his house.

Steen defended himself saying: "I've done nothing criminal, that's the most awful thing, and do you know what it's about? Jealousy. I've got a very, very large house. Some people say it looks like Balmoral."

What makes Brown think any of the LibDems will jump onto his sinking ship?
The Liberal Democrts have the very real possiblity of moving up a place in Parliamentary ranking, concievably acually in the running for real power in the next parliaments....

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
I agree with Jagman Sky news are reporting (or were this morning) that the Lib Dems are ahead of Labour
So why would they want to jump in with Labour
If it was me I want to put as much distance between myself and Labour as possible before I was tainted by them
The Lib Dems are doing all right Vince Cable IMHO is becoming possibly the leading MP in the UK today
Unfortunately Vince Cable will suffer from "George Best Syndrome"
He's a great player but I don't know if the rest of the team will be strong enough to propell him to the big stage

He can reshuffle all he likes - although Brown is the major part of the problem, the fact is, in the game of musical chairs that he is playing, there is just no talent out there to reshuffle, and the Great British Public are only too aware of it.

Having read the times this morning I can't help feeling that Gordon Brown isn't to far akin to a 8 year old child with his fingers in his ears shouting 'na na na na can't hear you'. According to the times this morning Brown is stood by to defy any of his cabinet's efforts to bin him after Thursday's elections. He's also ignoring calls from the general populace for a general election and I quote from the times 'that the public expected him to clean up politics first and defeat the recession.'

He's living in cloud cuckoo land and I would love to meet these so called 'public' who want him to stay in office and sort everything out first. He just can't take a hint can he?

Countrylad said:
Having read the times this morning I can't help feeling that Gordon Brown isn't to far akin to a 8 year old child with his fingers in his ears shouting 'na na na na can't hear you'. According to the times this morning Brown is stood by to defy any of his cabinet's efforts to bin him after Thursday's elections. He's also ignoring calls from the general populace for a general election and I quote from the times 'that the public expected him to clean up politics first and defeat the recession.'

He's living in cloud cuckoo land and I would love to meet these so called 'public' who want him to stay in office and sort everything out first. He just can't take a hint can he?
It would seem not:

Brown hanging on in there

At least his predecessor knew when enough was enough. This clown hasn't even got the sense to see that.

Thursday's results promise to make interesting reading.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
If the Limp Dings are stupid enough to think their election chances will be enhanced by jumping in to bed with McRuin, then let them. I suspect they aren't that stupid however, and once again it's Labliar clutching at straws, not the Limps.

McRuin can shuffle, and shiffle, and wiffle all the piffle he likes. Him and his party have bankrupted the UK; him and his party have tried very hard to remove all our freedoms; him and his party, whilst taxing us to fcuk and back have had overwatch whilst they removed themselves from the tax equation; during his and Labliar's watch, the parliamentary rules on MP funding have been relaxed massively - and that's why so many MPs had their hands in the till.

He's got NO chance of winning the next election, and it doesn't matter what he does.

In times past people would often attribute disasters, war, famine, plague etc to deities punishing them for great sins committed. So it begs the question, what great sin did we committ to have Gordon Brown & Co visited upon us?

Countrylad said:
To paraphrase Andrew Marr's comment yesterday when he interviewed Brown, 'If handed the mess Webley, you'd simply use it on your critics wouldn't you?'.

IMHO, Brown is seriously mentally ill. I'm not a doctor and the Scouts first aid badge I earned when Baden Powell was still hanging about with young boys didn't require any knowledge of psychiatry. However, I do know several doctors and they're all of the opinion that Brown is cracking up.

It's quite possible that he has reached the point where he is hearing voices in his head telling him that only he can save the world. He won't go willingly and I know of no way to force him out other than a confidence vote.

Given Labour's majority, losing a confidence vote would seem to be impossible. However, I heard an interesting comment yesterday. Some Labour party members are of the view that one extra Labour MP will lose their seat for every day that Brown remains in power.

If that's a widely held view among the PLP, we may yet see Labour turkeys joining with the Tories and voting for an early Christmas.

Countrylad said:
In times past people would often attribute disasters, war, famine, plague etc to deities punishing them for great sins committed. So it begs the question, what great sin did we committ to have Gordon Brown & Co visited upon us?
We let Hadrian's wall fall down.

I wonder when they will lock up Gordon?

cpunk

LE
The problem that Brown faces is that he no longer has anything he can offer disaffected Labour MPs, other than a poisoned chalice. He hasn't the support,energy or creativity to force through anything worthwhile to 'fix' the economy (like huge cuts in public spending, including defence) and Labour MPs know that the longer they are associated with his failing government, the less chance they have of being elected. He has also lost his attack dogs, like Damian McBride, so the his coercive abilities are no longer what they were. I would suggest that the numbers are probably already against him and it only needs a bad local/Euro election result to see the knives really come out.

But having said that, who would really want to succeed him now? The only prospect for a new Labour leader is 10 months in office followed by an electoral massacre. William Hague is one of the most able people in politics, yet he screwed his chance of the top job by succeeding Major in 1997 when the Tories were still hopelessly in the poo.

For the good of the country, we probably should have an autumn election but my guess is that Brown will hang on to the bitter end, simply because nobody else in the Labour party would want to lead them into oblivion and he is too hubristic to call an election.

Hes can shuffle the cabinet all he wants.

He's the problem and whoever he appoints to ministerial position is going to be crap as well.

They're all just CRAP!

cpunk said:
For the good of the country, we probably should have an autumn election but my guess is that Brown will hang on to the bitter end, simply because nobody else in the Labour party would want to lead them into oblivion and he is too hubristic to call an election.
I agree - there is no way he will go - he fought tooth and nail (well backstabbed) his way to get where he is and he isn't going to give it up. And TBH not one single Labour name sticks out as being able to replace him!

harareboy99 said:
Hes can shuffle the cabinet all he wants.

He's the problem and whoever he appoints to ministerial position is going to be crap as well.

They're all just CRAP!
Indeed, the current bunch of ministers are the best they've got. Government of all the talents (a phrase used by Brown on assembling his bunch of idiots in 2007) my f*****g arrse.

On the other hand if the PLP feel that a change of leader will go some way to mitigate the electoral disaster that is looming he may be forced out, there is a very real prospect that Labour will finish third to the Lib Dems at the next election, the PLP will want to avoid that at all costs.

Who says that reshuffling the deckchairs on the increasingly steep decks is going to do any good. Labour are going to get remembered for their sleaze and oppression for many many years. Being the 3rd or maybe 4th party is fine by me.

There is no talent left on the government benches, anyone that had talent has been found to be involved in sleaze and relegated (rightly) to the back benches, and some of them on more than one occasion. The sign that Brown was in desperation surely was when he brought his old arch-enemy Mandleson back into the government. Government of all talents had by then turned into the Government of no talents.

CQMS said:
On the other hand if the PLP feel that a change of leader will go some way to mitigate the electoral disaster that is looming he may be forced out, there is a very real prospect that Labour will finish third to the Lib Dems at the next election, the PLP will want to avoid that at all costs.
They don't want to just avoid it, they really need to prevent it happening. The reason? Funding. Which unions would want to fund their political interests if they were only to be represented as the 'also-rans' ie. third place in Parliament? The Labour Party are already in financial dire straights, any further major reduction in funding might just wipe them out completely.

bobthedog said:
Who says that reshuffling the deckchairs on the increasingly steep decks is going to do any good. Labour are going to get remembered for their sleaze and oppression for many many years. Being the 3rd or maybe 4th party is fine by me.

There is no talent left on the government benches, anyone that had talent has been found to be involved in sleaze and relegated (rightly) to the back benches, and some of them on more than one occasion. The sign that Brown was in desperation surely was when he brought his old arch-enemy Mandleson back into the government. Government of all talents had by then turned into the Government of no talents.
Will they be checking their Lordships expenses as well? Mandybums won't have been able to help himself - spots, leopards, inter-changeable etc!

Latest Threads