Brown makes armed forces pledge

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by msr, Jun 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Prime Minister Gordon Brown has promised the government will do "everything in our power" to help members of the armed forces.

He said a White Paper would set out the help available to troops in areas such as health care and education.

Yeah right.

2. Well, that's the vote from everyone in the military secured.
  3. The Cnut can start by letting me claim tax relief on my laundry! Please see the YOU NEED TO READ THIS thread in the NAAFI!
  4. Am I reading this right?

Are the MOD and CGS directly at odds here? And in a very public way too?
  5. In his power is the ability to assign money to the following...

A rehab pool at RAF Headley Court (rather than using charity money)

Re-opening a Psychiatric wing at a DEDICATED Military Hospital to deal with the upswing in PTSD cases that's going to come along imminently and increase over the next 5-20 years.

Enough money to complete Project SLAM and PUMA in 2 years not 25 as is the case currently.

Reverse the Defence Training Review PFI. The projected saving is less than £40m pa, and as with all PFI that will have disappeared within 5 years so that the whole thing ends up costing more in the long run.

Any other suggestions?

I'm also sure it's within his power to meet a few reps from Arrse to take delivery of our reasonable suggestions in person.

How about a new law ordering all past-Prime Ministers to allocate a proportion of autobiographical book sales to Military Charities...

He could always deliver the cheques to Headley and Selly Oak himself. To my knowledge neither Bean nor Bliar have ever visited either.
  6. My bold. His empty promises.
    The tragedy is he really does think we'll swallow that doesn't he. :roll:
  7. Now I actually did "laugh out loud" at that! :D
  8. What about Pay....He is always on about taking workers out of poverty, now here is his chance
  9. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Military Housing, both for singlies and families?

Get rid of the limit on compensation for injuries?

Sort out JPA?
  10. "I will give a 4% pay rise"

"I will buy 5 new Chinooks"

"I will build 200 new MQs by 2010"

Believable, measurable and clear beyond equivocation...

"I will do everything in my power"

Yeah was not within my power because i moved the goalposts...

How do you tell if a PM is lying? Easy his lips are moving.
  11. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

No he doesn't, he talks about taking "children out of poverty" through the working families tax credit. More difficult to claim than a big bag of difficult things.
  12. Hmmm. Please forgive my cynicism ....
  13. he's not saying it for the benefit of soldiers, he's saying it for the public.

He will say all the right things to try and decieve the public into thinking he will do something. He will then give some money with one hand and take it away with the other.

14. Please see the 'you need to get a fecking life and stop harping on about laundry' comment... yes the one I've just typed.

...and click, another one added to the 'shit list'

15. Sort out JPA? Feck, you really want the impossible don't you? We'll each have our own helicopters before that happens.