Brown makes armed forces pledge

Prime Minister Gordon Brown has promised the government will do "everything in our power" to help members of the armed forces.

He said a White Paper would set out the help available to troops in areas such as health care and education.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7437014.stm

Yeah right.

msr

Well, that's the vote from everyone in the military secured.

Am I reading this right?

He (CGS) said it was a democratic issue for the country to decide how much to spend on the armed forces, but that it was also "perfectly legitimate" to have a debate on the issue and challenged politicians to "set their priorities out".

The Ministry of Defence said pay was only one element of a soldiers' salary, which includes allowances for housing, food, tax relief and schooling.

An MoD spokesman said: "In February we announced a pay rise of 2.6% for all Servicemen and women, which builds upon last year's award of over 9% for the most junior ranks.

"A private on their first operation will receive a minimum of £16,227, plus a 2,320 tax-free operational allowance."
Are the MOD and CGS directly at odds here? And in a very public way too?

In his power is the ability to assign money to the following...

A rehab pool at RAF Headley Court (rather than using charity money)

Re-opening a Psychiatric wing at a DEDICATED Military Hospital to deal with the upswing in PTSD cases that's going to come along imminently and increase over the next 5-20 years.

Enough money to complete Project SLAM and PUMA in 2 years not 25 as is the case currently.

Reverse the Defence Training Review PFI. The projected saving is less than £40m pa, and as with all PFI that will have disappeared within 5 years so that the whole thing ends up costing more in the long run.

Any other suggestions?

I'm also sure it's within his power to meet a few reps from Arrse to take delivery of our reasonable suggestions in person.

How about a new law ordering all past-Prime Ministers to allocate a proportion of autobiographical book sales to Military Charities...

He could always deliver the cheques to Headley and Selly Oak himself. To my knowledge neither Bean nor Bliar have ever visited either.

Cyclops said:
"I recognise the huge contribution that our armed forces make to the security of the country and we will continue to try to reward our armed forces for the dedication and commitment they show, often in very difficult theatres of war.

"We will do everything in our power in the years to come to recognise the great individual contribution that is made by all the members of the Army, the navy, and the air force."
My bold. His empty promises.
The tragedy is he really does think we'll swallow that doesn't he. :roll:

What about Pay....He is always on about taking workers out of poverty, now here is his chance

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Maj_Boothroyd said:

Re-opening a Psychiatric wing at a DEDICATED Military Hospital to deal with the upswing in PTSD cases that's going to come along imminently and increase over the next 5-20 years.

Enough money to complete Project SLAM and PUMA in 2 years not 25 as is the case currently.

Reverse the Defence Training Review PFI. The projected saving is less than £40m pa, and as with all PFI that will have disappeared within 5 years so that the whole thing ends up costing more in the long run.

Any other suggestions?

I'm also sure it's within his power to meet a few reps from Arrse to take delivery of our reasonable suggestions in person.

How about a new law ordering all past-Prime Ministers to allocate a proportion of autobiographical book sales to Military Charities...

He could always deliver the cheques to Headley and Selly Oak himself. To my knowledge neither Bean nor Bliar have ever visited either.
Military Housing, both for singlies and families?

Get rid of the limit on compensation for injuries?

Sort out JPA?

"I will give a 4% pay rise"

"I will buy 5 new Chinooks"

"I will build 200 new MQs by 2010"

Believable, measurable and clear beyond equivocation...

"I will do everything in my power"

Yeah right...it was not within my power because i moved the goalposts...

How do you tell if a PM is lying? Easy his lips are moving.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Polish said:
What about Pay....He is always on about taking workers out of poverty, now here is his chance
No he doesn't, he talks about taking "children out of poverty" through the working families tax credit. More difficult to claim than a big bag of difficult things.

stickybomb said:
Cyclops said:
"I recognise the huge contribution that our armed forces make to the security of the country and we will continue to try to reward our armed forces for the dedication and commitment they show, often in very difficult theatres of war.

"We will do everything in our power in the years to come to recognise the great individual contribution that is made by all the members of the Army, the navy, and the air force."
My bold. His empty promises.
The tragedy is he really does think we'll swallow that doesn't he. :roll:
he's not saying it for the benefit of soldiers, he's saying it for the public.

He will say all the right things to try and decieve the public into thinking he will do something. He will then give some money with one hand and take it away with the other.

Ski.

whats_the_point said:
The Cnut can start by letting me claim tax relief on my laundry! Please see the YOU NEED TO READ THIS thread in the NAAFI!
Please see the 'you need to get a fecking life and stop harping on about laundry' comment... yes the one I've just typed.

...and click, another one added to the 'shit list'

Grownup_Rafbrat said:
Maj_Boothroyd said:

Any other suggestions?

Military Housing, both for singlies and families?

Get rid of the limit on compensation for injuries?

Sort out JPA?

Sort out JPA? Feck, you really want the impossible don't you? We'll each have our own helicopters before that happens.

Cuddles said:
"I will give a 4% pay rise"

"I will buy 5 new Chinooks"

"I will build 200 new MQs by 2010"

Believable, measurable and clear beyond equivocation...

"I will do everything in my power"

Yeah right...it was not within my power because i moved the goalposts...

How do you tell if a PM is lying? Easy his lips are moving.
I vaguely remember, long ago, getting a stand up chat from the Adjt about the unacceptable nature of cynicism in a young officer.

At what point does it metamorphose into an acceptable one?

The possibility that Cyclops will be in power at the end of the summer are remote, let alone the possibility he and Nu Liebour will still be in office at the next budget round.

Cyclops is hopping from crisis to crisis flailing his arms to make it look like he is doing something, when in fact he is achieving nothing.

Wont be long until yet another crisis changes his direction totally, and these will be long forgotten words.

theoriginalphantom said:
whats_the_point said:
The Cnut can start by letting me claim tax relief on my laundry! Please see the YOU NEED TO READ THIS thread in the NAAFI!
Please see the 'you need to get a fecking life and stop harping on about laundry' comment... yes the one I've just typed.

...and click, another one added to the 'shit list'
Blow me.

Oh, and shit list addition here too :D

Lies, all lies