Brown Down Battery, Gosport

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Countrylad, Jul 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was recently on exercise in Brown Down training area and I whilst there got the chance to look at the battery fort there. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it. I looked on google and am fairly certain it's of victorian vintage, I believe it forms part of the palmerston forts in that area. I guessed, but don't know for sure, that it might have held montcrieff guns. Anyway if anyone knows about it that would solve some of my curiosity, thanks in advance.
  2. Cheers, I just got a load of stuff about some R&B artist beating up his girlfriend, didn't think to put browndown, instead I put 'brown down', think I was having a 'special' moment.
  3. I think that the only remaining "moncrief gun" pits are on the Island of Flat Holm in the Bristol Channel, unfortuneatly the mounts have gone but some of the guns are still there. There are two more filled in pits at Lavernock near Penarth and they can be seen on Google maps in the caravan site at the location. but if you want to see the real thing a trip to Flat Holm is called for.
  4. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Er.....actually Fort Gilkicker, which is at the far (Eastern) end of Stokes Bay from the aforementioned Brown Down Battery has a very good information board showing the guns being installed . Assuming that the Moncrieff gun pits were put in place for the 'disappearing mount' installation, then they can also be clearly viewed up at Fort Nelson, which is an enclave of the National Armouries down here on the South Coast riviera.

Brown Down had a musketry range' in the 1900's. The ' Brown Down Plate' was prominently displayed in 2SL's HQ when I was there in the 1990s.

As Countrylad surmises, all part of the Palmerston defences for Portsmouth which run up from the coast from Fort Blockhouse, through Fort Grange, (which is now inside the wire at SULTAN),Fort Brockhurst, Fort Rowner to Portsdown Hill (Fort Nelson - Fort Southwick - Fort Widley ) and down to the East of Portsmouth at Fort Cumberland.

Some interesting details of the Portsmouth defence system can be found at LINKY
  5. Damn. I thought this was about Gordon Brown getting the shoeing he deserves after a trip to Gosport.
  6. Words of advice:

Don't get lost around Gilkicker and stray behind barbed wire; you may end up in 'gitmo for the rest of your natural.....
  7. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

Those militant National Trust members are dam right mean............
  8. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Didn't they use Browndown Camp for Lads' Army for a few years?
  9. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Oh yes, we supplied their tentage!
  10. no, I think you'll find that would be Broon Doon

Switch on...Stay alive.....2 Para did......
  11. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Alfred the Great

I think you mean Fort Monkton.....or are you referring to the Stokes Bay Golf Club Patriotic Peoples Liberation Army ?

( yes sir, that is indeed a black helicopter well spotted you.........move along there please, nothing to see.....)
  12. So is Rowner.
  13. Point of order - it's Browndown...pronounced Braindain in Gosport.