Brown Delivers 10th Budget

Don't think he will rock the boat too much. After all he may well inherite the earth before the next budget is due.

Weekend_Warrior said:
What is the impact going to be for the Armed Forces
Beer and fags will go up!!

Everyone's going to get fcuked but without the full facts I can't possibly comment on how fcuked everybody's going to be. A good politician's post there.

Vimeiro said:
Don't think he will rock the boat too much. After all he may well inherite the earth before the next budget is due.

Weekend_Warrior said:
What is the impact going to be for the Armed Forces
Beer and fags will go up!!
As well as:

petrol
road tax
insurance tax
airport departure tax
every other tax
some new taxes

Also heard he might be considering a tax on condoms. So you can be taxed for having a sh@g!!

Apart from that it will be fine!! 8O

Rudolph_Hucker said:
Also heard he might be considering a tax on condoms. So you can be taxed for having a sh@g!!
Why use a condom??? If you impregnate her you will get cash back in the form of a tax credit.

No tax on Condoms - Brown is going to shave 17.5% (VAT) off a condom - just hope it isn't the bell end. Knowing this government, he'll probably further discount the thick rubber Peter Mandelson style condom and lube too.

Just heard a bit of this apparently he is going to freeze tax on champange and british sparkling wine.

Well thats alright then.

I wonder what is going to happen to the tax on cigars and whisk(e)y?

Steven said:
Just heard a bit of this apparently he is going to freeze tax on champange and british sparkling wine.

Well thats alright then.

I wonder what is going to happen to the tax on cigars and whisk(e)y?
That's going to cause uproar in the NAAFI then or maybe not. I just can't contain my indifference.

If anyone wants to sing along to Brown's speech it's here:

http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/budget/budget_06/bud_bud06_speech.cfm

I'll spoil the climax to his speech: "Next year £440M extra for schools, and I commend this budget to the House". May elections only six weeks away. Sweet.

Interesting that he's allocated £800M to help the forces in Afghanistan. The overall Defence Budget has fallen from around £32B to £29B over the past three years - don't think he's mentioning that today.

Country_Bumpkin said:
If anyone wants to singalong to Browns speech it's here:

http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/budget/budget_06/bud_bud06_speech.cfm

Interesting that he's allocated £800M to help the forces in Afghanistan. The overall Defence Budget has fallen from £32B to £29B over the past three years.
See Lord Garden's latest post in the 'Westminster' thread. Reading the Hansard account of the defence debate when this money was discussed shows that it is not new, or extra money, or even part of the Defence Budget. It's separate money for keeping ops in Iraq and Afghanistan going.