Brown commits to big defence spending

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jagman, Feb 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article7010508.ece

No really, he is saying that.
    It is the one area of UK spending that needs increasing, is it genuine or more smoke and mirrors? Who knows but its a start.
    According to that Typhoon, F35, both carriers and maintaing the Army at 100,000 plus are set in stone.

2. He's prepared to offer the earth, he's got nothing to lose at this stage, if he could he'd offer himself as the second coming. Everything he says has to be tempered by his election prospects

3. Must be an election in the offing.
    He has starved HM Forces for years but now promises Billions.
    Mind you he probably does not ecpect to have to pay for all his Talk.
    john

4. Typhoons. F-35 and carriers bring jobs mostly to the north and Scotland…

Go figure.

5. What a great ploy! Until, of course, the Tories point out that the piggy bank is empty.

6. Dont forget where those Carriers are going to be made, and who (Which MP) will benefit from the jobs being secured in his constituency. He hasn't said when he is going to supply the aircraft for them.

7. Er, but the government is supposedly commited to those anyway, isnt it? They're existing programmes or in the case of the army numbers, the current figures.

I'd also like to know how many JSFs he thinks he's going to get for £10bn.

8. more lies

9. Finding that money for the Defence Budget would be easy. The NHS Budget has in creases by about £6-billion every year, so there's more fat in the NHS budget then there is anywhere else. Which equals one thing, tons and tons of wastage. You give a Department £6-billion extra every year and they just wont know what to do with it.

Plus, if you're talking about saving 5% on wastage alone, with an annual budget of £109-Billion a 5% saving on wastage, or trim, is allot of money.

10. There is plenty of money to pay for this. We just have to stop squandering money eleswhere.
    If public spending was taken under control then all of the above are erfectly fundable. The irony is that the same thing aplies to the economy as a whole.

To be frank, Brown has a habit of promissing lots and delivering little but the significant part of this is that he could force the Conservatives to commit to keeping these projects alive.

11. I'll believe it when I see it.

Which I'm fairly sure I won't.

12. As I said above, the interesting bit is if Brown manages to make Cameron commit to the spending.
    That said, even if Cameron promises the same its just a politicians promise and therfor worthless.

13. Fcuk me, this governing lark is easier than I thought. It appears that you simply make it up as you go along. As Yosser used to say: 'I could do that!'

14. Well, well! After almost thirteen years the oaf, noting that a General Election is approaching, agrees to spend some money on the Armed Forces.

I wonder if this money will actually be forthcoming - I am sceptical as it will probably be declared a 'saving'.

15. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Not so odd, considering, as noted above, where these two beasts will be made. Labour is concentrating on its core vote, and bugger the rest of us. A fine example was revealed yesterday - Their "Strategic Investment Fund" to prop up struggling industries was announced last year. According to the News of the World yesterday,96% of the £521.5 million so far spent by the fund has gone to companies in Labour held constituencies, with LibDem constituencies getting the remaining 4%.

Now if that's not a blatant example of vote buying, I don't know what is!

The rule of thumb with Gordon is - if his lips are moving, he's lying. Or chewing a bogie.