Brown bitchslapped by entire world at G20 meeting

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by maguire, Nov 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

'The Prime Minister used a speech at a meeting of G20 finance ministers in St Andrews to call for the new tax to fund future bank bailouts – despite previous government opposition to such a move.

However, within hours of his speech, both the US and Canada rejected the plan. Timothy Geithner, the US Treasury Secretary, said: "That's not something that we're prepared to support."

Canada's finance minister, Jim Flaherty, said: "It is not something we would be interested in in Canada. We are not in the business of raising taxes, we are in the business of lowering taxes in Canada. It is not an idea we would look at."

Dominique Strauss-Khan, head of the International Monetary Fund (IMF), also poured cold water on the plan. “I don’t believe it will be a transaction tax because transactions are very difficult to measure and so it’s very easy to avoid a transaction tax,” he said.

The swiftness of the rejection was a serious blow for Mr Brown who had gone to Scotland to deliver a trenchant message to banks worldwide amid continuing public anger over their return to profitability and bonus payments after being kept afloat by taxpayers.'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/gordon-brown/6521548/Gordon-Brown-worldwide-snub-over-tax-plans.html

oh dear, what a shame. dont these people KNOW he's saving the world?

2. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

I see that Reverse Midas Touch is still on top form with Gordo McRuin.

Who the hell does he think he is? He is one of the prime movers in making Britain a minor nation slipping from a "projection of power" state to just another small country in the EU.

I think he has just been sent a message to that effect - he won't understand it even if he listened to it.

Off to drink lots of wine now. Grrrrrrr.

3. The trouble is, now that smarter and more intelligent people than him have knocked the idea, the more chance of the thick bastard implementing it.

4. Yet again the Great Leader proves to be a total embarrassment, his new idea of taxing all banking transactions was slapped down quickly and firmly by both the US and Canada. Just who does he think will end up paying the "Tobin Tax", it will get passed on to us the taxpayer making things even more expensive.

The guy hasn't got a clue, this has to go down with his abolition of the 10% tax band which hit the lowest earners hardest.

Gordon for heavens sake GO NOW

5. They probably have 'caller id', and I guess what happens when Gordo's name flashes up :D

6. Oh, Canada!!

Can we have a government like that?

7. The PM doesnt care how successful a project is, after a few months it will be under the radar anyway.

The only thing he is interested in is power, and the best way to do that is to win the votes of the great unwashed by grandstanding on the world stage.

It doesnt matter what crap he spouts, like Stalin he looks "strong".

8. There are only three letters in Gorgons alphabet, viz: T.A.X anything else is pure speculation or commentary.

9. ..that assumes they'd pick up the phone...........good stuff this Caller ID!

Odo

10. ...b#gger, second again

Odo

11. Now you know why The Seagull buggered off there as soon as he got the chance! :D

12. The French and the Germans are in favour. With respect, I'm not sure Canada's lack of support is that big a deal, which just leaves the US. The US Treasury Secretary's reaction was fairly lukewarm though.

The idea is worthy of consideration. It is, however, hard to see the point of building up a huge pot of money (and it would have to be huge, judging by the bail-out figures) for something that is probably going to occur once in a lifetime. Isn't that what central banks are for?

13. You are ashie and I claim my £5

14. Ashie who? (Is this a 'knock knock' joke?)

15. No, Ashie is an ARRSE member and a labour supporter. I think it was just confusion, because you looked at the idea intelligently rather than posted a generic insult aimed at Brown.