Brown Bess request

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by bigeye, Jan 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm Currently working on a project (a worthy cause) that would necessitate a comparison between weapons from Waterloo and modern day (assuming the co-operation of the MoD which should be granted in light of the nature of the project). These would be specifically arms used by the The light company of the 2nd Battalion, Coldstream Guards in 1815.

I'm hoping for some advice on the following:

1. A good location for the test - presumably a Military range
    2. Best source of arms/armourer for a working New land/India pattern Brown Bess
    3. Any advice/safety issues with firing live black powder

Thanks very much in advance,
    BE

2. Try The Defense Academy at Shrivenham. The Light weapons wing has one of just about everything. Not sure who the armourer is, but if ypu pm gassing badgers he may have some contact details

3. Thanks to you both I will do so.

4. You could also try and track down Mr Michael Crumplin FRCS, who is an acknowledged expert on the effects of weapons on the Napoleonic battlefield (I've seen some of his collection!)

These folks should be able to assist:

Wellington's Combat Surgeon: George Guthrie | Institute of Historical Research

He took part in a documentary about the effects of firearms on human tissue some while ago, including the "Brown Bess"

5. Thanks for that.

6. couple of chaps at my local gun club use brown besses and all the associated black powder stuff, (Derby area) i do believe that one may even be for sale if required.( FAC required obviously)
    if need more info please feel free to pm me

7. I have an India pattern (Bristol area) and relevant certs if all else fails, or better still try these guys; the one who set them up (contact details on page) is ex forces and a good bloke.

Membership

8. Thanks very much to the above for their replies.

The basic idea is to get hold of an unsuspecting serving Guardsman, dress him up in Waterloo era uniform issue him with period kit and rations and give him a Brown Bess and see how he gets on in a controlled 'battlefield' environment.

I would imagine the first the 'volunteer' will hear of his role in this will be: 'Guardsman xxxxx, do you accept my award or.....'

9. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Try Bapty & Co

They hire out weapons, working, de-acts, blank firers and replicas, for all sorts of film and TV work. They have a lot of Brown Bess's, I really mean a lot.