BROTH

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by TheIronDuke, Nov 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Hi, lovely to meet you. Enchante. Straights.

This is not a thread for the faint hearted. Or fans of.... soup. Or Endives. Or fucking Rocket.

This, my friends, is a thread about BROTH.

BROTH. Full-on, in your face Winter food for people who live in a cold Northern climate, are mostly skint, are mostly short of winter forrage and who mostly aint in the fucking mood...

So, do you rinse your pulses? Or just boil them? And when does pea 'n ham soup turn into peas pudding BROTH?

2. Always rinse old chap, always rinse. :chef:

3. Broth has (in my part of the world anyway) meat in it.

BTW what happened to the Tesco's turkey drumsticks @ £0.71 each? In the oven for 40 mins - get a good (large size) meal out of one and then boil the remains to feck... The start of a good broth.

4. scotch broth, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

5. TheIronDuke

I would say you cant beat a good ham shank.

But some chapskate would come in with a smart crack and the whole job would go shitshaped.

6. Get down the butchers Mr Duke, and ask him for a big pile of whatever bones he's got left over from filleting beef or lamb. Most will give them to you free, some will maybe charge you a pound or two for a huge bag.
    Now boil the whole lot in a big pan of water (5-6 pints), add some leftover odds and ends of vegetables that you might have kicking around in the fridge or under the sink.. carrots, celery, leeks, onions are all good if you have some. If you've got some peppercorns, or a bulb or 2 of garlic, add those as well. Keep it simmering gently for at least one hour. At the end, strain off all the liquid into a clean pan.
    Now add 2 diced carrots, 2 diced onions, 1 small diced turnip, 1 chopped leek... don't have a heart attack at this point, you can normally buy the whole lot together in one pack in any supermarket for about 2 quid... normally labelled "Winter stew pack" or similar. Doesn't matter if the exact ingredients don't match the above, just chop them up and put them in. It's broth, not masterchef. Just make sure there's 2 onions going in.
    Now rinse off 3 or 4 ounces of pearl barley, and add that, and if you like meat, add some chopped up cheap stewing steak. Simmer for 1 to 2 hours until the barley is soft. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

The whole thing should give you 4-6 big bowls and will cost about £5 all in, depending on whether your butcher gives you the bones for nowt. If you buy your stewing steak from him, he'll probably throw them in for nothing.

7. TheIronDuke

Now somebody once told me not to put onions in broth. They made it go off or something? Cant remember. I put onions in most things, but not broth.

Onions aside, thats a class recepie. I'd only add mixed pulses to the pearl barley. Lentils and that.

8. Pearl barley. Home made stock (pheasant is good). Result thick enough so the spoon sticks up straight. Sets you up for a hard night's drinking. Leftovers for the next day. Et voilà!

9. Scotch broth recipe[hr]

1. Pre soak the barley and split peas, set aside for now.

2. Chop all the vegetables (onions, carrots, turnips,leeks, potatoes) or buy a winter vegetable pack from supermarket.

3. Melt a wee bit of lard/cooking oil and add the chopped onion. Once softened add water or a stock. You can boil bones or meat to make you're own stock if you want. Add half your turnip, potatoes if you like and leeks.

4. After boiling bones/ meat for about half an hour add the barley and peas and simmer for another 30 minutes.

5. Add the remaining vegetables.

6. If used, remove the meat bones and strip off the meat and return this to the pot. Stir in , season to taste
    7. Second day soup is even better.................tastes better !!!!

10. yes onion DOES make your broth or soup go off and so does pearl barley they are ok if you are making enough to eat in one day but you cant freeze it cause it starts to ferment when defrosted

11. Don't forget finely chopped parsnips, similar proportion to the carrots, gives a lovely sweet taste........

12. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

ASDA also do them or get a big f*ck off bag of frozen chicken portions from Sainsbury's far £3.75 ish! :D You get about 5 chickens worth.

13. I must admit I've never heard of onions making something go "off". :?
    At this time of year I generally make some sort of big stew or casserole on a Sunday (containing at least one onion) and it lasts easily until midweek in the fridge.
    As for the barley fermenting... not sure. They do say you shouldn't eat rice that's more than a day or 2 old as that definately ferments, so there might be some mileage in that. But if you are freezing a big batch, barley shouldn't get time to ferment because a single portion only takes 2-3 hours to defrost, quicker in a micro obviously. I freeze mine in those pots you get at the supermarket in the aisle where the cling film is... "tub-its" I think they're called.

14. Pig's trotters make awesome stock, and the meat off the bones is dead tasty!! AND they're pence to buy.......or they were until Huge Fearny-Whatshisface made them 'trendy'!! God damn him!!! :x

15. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

It's a bacteria that causes the rice to go off,that's why fried rice from a chinese is better than boiled.