Broons Book of British Military heroism

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by BigD, Sep 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I see from the GBrown interview/advertorial in today's Telegraph that our leader is so obviously concerned to improve his image as a supporter of Britain & British Forces that 'Later this year the Prime Minister will publish a book with stories of British military heroism'

Maybe he would be better off using the time to rework & increase the military budget (& replace Browne) so that there are fewer heroes having to go out on patrol in snatch landrovers.
  2. The man really is a cnut of the nth degree isn't he? The man responsible for bleeding our forces dry of finance, kit and manpower has the audacity to insinuate he has any respect for us?
  3. msr

msr LE

'What good Broon has done for HMF' will probably be about as slim as Yasser Arafat's 'Book of Barmitzvah Toasts'.

4. From the interview he also looks as though he wants to jump on the Afghan VC bandwagon which makes my skin creep:

'He talks about the death of Capt David Hicks last month in Helmand. The 26-year-old officer was mortally wounded but refused treatment for his shrapnel injuries.

Mr Brown said: "That was an incredible story of courage. He refused morphine so he could carry on leading his men while they were under attack."

Later this year the Prime Minister will publish a book with stories of British military heroism.

Capt Hicks is now in line for a posthumous Victoria Cross. He would be the first officer to win one since Colonel "H" Jones in the Falklands.'
  5. And where will the proceeds of this book go I wonder? I just look forward to the day when a heroic military firing squad gives him the good news.
  6. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Dear PM

Nice to see that your new job is not of a full time nature and enables you to have plenty of time for money making schemes for you and the family. Would it be correct to assume that any profits from your new book writing venture will be going to one of the forces charities.

Best wishes on your project.

7. I take it he'll be researching the heroism first hand? No? Who'd'a thunk it.
  8. I hate father-1 even fcuking more than I did the last cnut, and that really is almost an impossiblity.

The idea of this book, just about is as far as any human can go to insult the families of those injured and killed on current ops, while insisting that we dont get any resoruces or equipment matched to the task.

Or is that the current plan to achieve 15% savings, underequip the forces so we lose 15% to little more than well motivated goat herders.
  9. In a way the book publishing is almost admirable - for its sheer bl00dy nerve. To the tune of "Take my breath away". I normally conclude this type of thing doesn't surprise me but this one did 8O

10. Or that other famous one ;Bobbie Sands lazy K cookbook
  11. Never, in the field of human history, have so few done so much with so little.

or something like that :roll:
  12. 'Military Bravery' by Gordon Brown subtitled 'Basking in reflected glory'

To be followed by sequel - 'Political Cowardice', subtitled 'Risking other people's lives through shortsighted budget cuts'.
  13. Can't get the Telegraph page up - please tell me this is a very bad taste windup. Please.

How could he have the sheer brass neck? I'm not even angry I'm just stunned.
  14. I have just submitted an e-petition to the 10 Downing Street site, stating that: We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to donate all proceeds from his forthcoming book on British military heroism to Forces charities

If it gets through the Number 10 screening process & goes live, I'll put up a link to the petition.
  15. What about the Gordon Brown guide to good grooming and healthy eating? The David Milliband guide to Anglo American relations? George Bush's Seven Steps to a better Iraq.

No, Gordon's book will go to the same spot on my Christams List as other recent tomes from politically motivated revisionist authors, like Soldier by M Jackson. The bottom.