Broon to stand doon at next election

According to the beeb, an announcement later tonight:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30277709

Not before time. A 30-year "career" in politics and the only good things he did were keeping us out of the euro and giving independence over interest rates to the Bank of England. Although he also took away the Bank's supervisory powers over the banking sector with the result that there was no single regulator keeping an eye on them in the decade before the crash of '08.
Apparently since 2010 he has been doing mostly charity work and UN special envoy stuff, so presumably he'll be paying back his MP's salary for that period.
Good riddance.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Not a fan then? :rolleyes:

Don`t kick a man when he is down

We didn't`t all ways see eye to eye and he may have taken his eye of the ball in relation to the Banks

He has obviously got his eye on a lucrative job in the wider world

Archie

E

EScotia

Don`t kick a man when he is down

We didn't`t all ways see eye to eye and he may have taken his eye of the ball in relation to the Banks

He has obviously got his eye on a lucrative job in the wider world

Archie
If my legs were capable I'd kick him when he was down, up or sideways. And before you ask AY, No, I'm not a fan.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
If my legs were capable I'd kick him when he was down, up or sideways. And before you ask AY, No, I'm not a fan.
You must be HIM then. The one and only in Scotland. That unique beastie rarely spoken of in polite society........

......you Sir, are a Tory! :p

sguyw

LE
You must be HIM then. The one and only in Scotland. That unique beastie rarely spoken of in polite society........

Is there such a beast ??, I thought Nessie was more real than a Jock Tory.

According to the beeb, an announcement later tonight:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30277709

Not before time. A 30-year "career" in politics and the only good things he did were keeping us out of the euro and giving independence over interest rates to the Bank of England. Although he also took away the Bank's supervisory powers over the banking sector with the result that there was no single regulator keeping an eye on them in the decade before the crash of '08.
Apparently since 2010 he has been doing mostly charity work and UN special envoy stuff, so presumably he'll be paying back his MP's salary for that period.
Good riddance.
All the money from outside his parliamentary work goes to charity. I'm not a fan myself but fair's fair.

I suspect his ambitions lie in Scotland.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Good thing that Brown doesnt go to HoC that often. I imagine it costs a bit to get the urine stains out of the green leather.

E

EScotia

Well, seeing as on the Really Long Thread I stated I'd voted SNP from 2005 until this year previously having voted Labour from age 18 onwards, seems your aim might be slightly off. Either that or you're one of those Scots who think everyone who doesn't support Independence has to be either English or a Tory (I'm English, married to a Scot, living in Scotland as I've mentioned so many times you should know that by now).

I have to say however that as I'm unlikely to vote Labour again* and the SNP have lost my vote, the only party that is worth my protest vote would unfortunately be the Conservative Party, in Scottish elections and the GE.

By the way, you were correct with the "rarely spoken of in polite society" jibe, never was, never have been and never will be a participant in fake social circles.

* Note I have changed my stance from never to unlikely. Labour might once again get my vote if they got rid of the two-faced, chinless wonders and no-hopers and became once again a party of the genuine working class and, lets face it, that's not going to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
E

EScotia

All the money from outside his parliamentary work goes to charity. I'm not a fan myself but fair's fair.
Err no, it doesn't. There is ample evidence available by googling that shows a significant amount of his "earnings" goes on promoting his own endeavours such as travel for him, his wife and hangers-on, and all the administration and costs his "Charity work" needs to survive.

Great early Christmas present! Scotland today last night wanted me to grab a bucket to spew in with all the fake gushing about him going on about who he was the rector of the university whilst still a student. Didnt say that he scoured all the rules etc to find a way to get itbcertainly wasnt given it on merit no doubt gave him the skills for his next career.

Few of his constituents interviewed last night were glad to be seeing the back of him as well. Just wonder if that vile specimen of an assistant to him is nominated to stand in his place.

I have to admit I cringed when I saw him wheeling his wife and two sons out again last night, echoing their long walk out of Downing Street in 2010. The oldest lad looked positively mortified throughout the whole façade.
BBC News are promising a full review of his Political career this morning. That will be my cue to give the dog a shout and head off onto Salisbury Plain for a long walk.

Lacking Moral Fibre

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
Although not a Labour voter I felt a tadge sorry for the guy when the worlds economy crashed but but but as soon as he called that little old northen lady a bigot after she voiced the fustrations of many regarding immigrants I lost all faith in sanity of the bloke. For the first time in my life I realised his Government had no idea or cared how most folks live.
I always wondered why he was desperate to be the PM when it was obvious people had had enough of New Labour and he had little chance of getting elected, bit like the last President of South Vietnam-gets the job just as the tanks smash through the gates.

NSP

LE
Claimed he "saved the world" whilst his evidently massive ego and vanity was busy kicking the over-inflated ball of debt he encouraged everyone to pump up into the long grass. Probably could be held directly responsible for every IVA and repossession since 2000. Factor in his woeful attendance record since being unceremoniously kicked out of Downing Street and it is easy to see that his departure from public life is long overdue. The only downer is that he is moving away horizontally under his own steam rather than moving away vertically in a downwards direction, encased in a tapered wooden box.

And when he does kark it his sycophantic supporters will probably demand - and get - a gun carriage funeral at public expense. Whereby I shall be forced to vomit copiously.

Last edited:
S

simmer

One good financial decisions which you have to take your hat off to. I do wonder however if what prompted him to keep out of the Euro however was his loathing of anything Blair wanted to do rather than a good decision - we can but speculate. Couldn't stand his politics or hypocritical moral position, and I wouldn't want him as a mate. I'd love to say mostly harmless but I can't. At least he did less damage than Blair to the country but probably because he never got the chance

Edited it to make a couple of minor tweaks as he was a tw@t

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app on my shiny new IPhone

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Threads