Broon impressed by the way US treats its Military and Vets

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by BuggerAll, Apr 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Small article in Daily Telegraph Sat 19 Apr 08. Broon took his head out of his Arrse whilst in the US and noticed that American society is far more friendly to service people that in the UK.

He is again reviving the 'Purple Heart' style medal but he is also keen to learn from other aspects of the way the US treats it's military.

Article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/04/19/narmy419.xml

The optimist in me says perhaps something good will come from his overseas photo op jaunt. The cynic says he will ditch us as soon as he realises that it will cost money which could be 'better' spent on the sort of Chavscum that might vote for him and anyway he has not got a team that could implement a good idea if it handed them on a plate.

2. The cynic in you is correct. He will have a complete memory loss as soon as he gets on the plane home.

3. Impressed with the americans in what terms, military hospitals, proper after care, a defence budget

4. How about he starts with something that is affecting thousands of bods every year?

The resettlement grant which is a pathetic £534 (yes, I do know they're looking at doubling it to £1068 but then CTP have hiked up their fees as well).

5. I've posted the following on this thread:

6. Really. He is impressed. Not hard is it? Anything is impressive compared to the shambles he and Bliar have presided over for a decade!

7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

What a load of bowlarks!

He's making the right noises for the septics to hear, but as soon as he gets back, what do you think will happen?

Do you think he'll increase the MOD budget?
    Do you think he'll increase forces pay?
    Do you think he'll cancel some of the forces tax rip-offs?

Here's what I think will happen:

The MOD will sell more bases off.
    There still won't be sufficient British helichoppers.
    There will be NO MOD budget increase (in fact, it will be squeezed harder).
    He won't visit Selly Oak
    He won't pay his respects, in person to the families of the fallen.

In fact, not one sodding thing will change, except maybe a medal that costs 25p to produce, along the lines of the Purple Heart, probably in China, as a sop to the newspapers so that at least he can look like he gives a fcuk, when to anyone with half a wit, it is quite obvious he doesn't.

8. So what do posters want from this government that will dissolve the disconnect You perceive the public has with the military. What can the military in its place do?

A forces day with parades has been poo-pooed by half those who posted on the thread because it too much like hard work. Increased compensation (whilst badly needed) is not going to make the population start kissing service people again and so - I think - can be absented as an answer from the above questions.

The AAC used to have an International Air Day which was discontinued. Would an Army Day on somewhere like the Harrogate Show Grounds (home of the Great Yorkshire Show) do anything to turn it around? Lots of displays, lots of demonstrations and maybe a couple of recruiters.

Do bandsmen play in parks anymore? How many battalions or regiments exercise their freedoms of towns? Will it help?

9. Actually Sven some of those things might just help. The main thing is to get the Forces back in the public eye. Wearing uniform in town not hiding away in barracks, including a robust attitude towards those who shout abuse rather than running back to camp to change. It won't change the minds of those who are dogedly anti-military or anti-British but it will I have no doubt help with the majority. More interaction with the local community would also help.

10. BuggerAll

The respect or lack of it comes from the top. The Home Secretary thinks it's acceptable to take the p'ss out of a Tory MP because of his military service. I cannot imagine an American politician doing that.

I have nothing against a wound medal - or a wound stripe which would be a more historically British Idea, but then they would have to give the TA a uniform to wear it on - B'gger more money that could better be spent on ChavScum.

11. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

In the US, the respect IS shown from the top down, from the Whitehouse and Congress all the way down to the people on the street.

In the US, pride in your country and armed forces is drilled into you from the day you are born.

In the UK, especially with this commie gobment, it's drilled into you from school-age onwards that Britain is a bad, jingoistic place with a terrible history that we should be ashamed of, it would seem, every bit as bad as the Nazis.

That needs to change. The successes of this country need to be taught in school, the media needs to remind the people why we are a great nation with a great culture, and the politicians need to back it up by improving that which is not up to standard, rather than pandering to pond-scum and giving them handouts.

12. I think a resurection of the Royal Tournament is a good idea. I enjoyed watching it as a kid, and was lucky enough to work on it one year, and it was always a sell out.

Who knows, perhaps we could even have Swiss Dess full time?

13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Feck me no I'd rather Sven did the job, at least he has some experience even if it was with TWA! :wink:

14. Totally agree.

15. BuggerAll

Biped has it quite right. when I was growing up in places like Arborfield, Camberley, Osnabruck being quietly patriotic was understood. If you went to the cinema when the National Anthem was played people shut up and stood up.

Now I wonder how many people would recognise the National Anthem let alone realise that the appropriate behaviour on hearing it is to shut up and stand up. Or for that matter when other people Anthems are played.

Indeed some people in Akrotiri do not seem to understand that (99%t do).