Broon and Co screwing the Yorkshire flood victims

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Bugsy, May 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What’s basically happened is that the UK was recently awarded Euro 162 million (£110 million) from the EU Solidarity Fund to help the flood victims in Yorkshire whose gaffs were made uninhabitable by the floods about a year ago. However, the UK gobment only plans to pay out £31 million and to keep the rest to help plug the holes in the national budget.

Because the UK is a net payer into the EU, but has to forego many of the subsidies handed out to France, Spain etc, Maggie Thatcher negotiated a rebate. Since 1984, something like EUR 69 billion has been paid back to the UK as a result. This rebate is generally reduced by normal EU subsidies. And this is where Brown the Clown and that Darling geezer have done a bit of clever bookkeeping, since the money for the flood victims is regarded as tantamount to a subsidy.

So they reckon that two-thirds of the sum from the Solidarity Fund would have accrued to them anyway in the form of the rebate, and they’re also hanging onto a further £19 million, which would have been the UK contribution to the financial aid.

Nothing is forcing them to do this, although they claim that EU financial regulations are to blame – they’re not! Brown the Clown and the fella with the Groucho Marx eyebrows are the snide, dishonest culprits.

I can’t find anything in English about this, so any ARRSErs who’re better at googling than me (which probably includes just about everybody) will certainly have more luck. In the meantime, here’s the story in German from STERN:

2. Bugsy,

Mc Broon & co ripping-off English flood victims?. Well what a surprise!.

The real scandal would be if as you say not been aired in public in Britain before.
  3. So when Yorkshire floods again does this mean you now forward your insurance claim straight to knob head & liarbour, as he/they were given the means to prevent it, but did nothing.
  4. gordon brown stealing from the citizens of the UK. whodathunkit?

5. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

Didn't the Liarbour gobment surrender the rebate anyway a few years ago? If so they are lying twice.
  6. In that Boxheed article I referenced, it says that the rebate is scheduled to be reduced by 2013. If I remember rightly, Phony Tony only gave up a percentage of it, but I don't know how much.

7. IIRC it was £7Bn per year that was surrendered
  8. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

So 20% of the defence budget then? Or 7% of the disabled, job seekers, chavs and mongs budget. If they had kept it they could have bribed the electorate and still had change last week.
  9. It's not a EU grant, it's our money being given back.

More beer please.

10. What is it with some of you people? His name is Brown.
  11. If memory serves wasn't it meant to be a quid pro quo in return for the promise of an overhaul and reduction of the Common Agricultural Policy in the future? I'm not exactly holding my breath to see whether the French and Germans decide to hold up their end of the bargain.