Bronze Stars for 3CS

There`s a rumour going round 3 CS, out here in Iraq, that some of their soldiers, have been put forward for the Bronze Star, following an incident that occurred following an attack on a US convoy near Basrah, can anyone confirm this for me?

Attachments

answer my own ?

3-13. Bronze Star Medal
a. The Bronze Star Medal was established by Executive Order 9419, 4 February 1944 (superseded by Executive Order 11046, 24 August 1962).

b. The Bronze Star Medal is awarded to any person who, while serving in any capacity in or with the Army of the United States after 6 December 1941, distinguished himself or herself by heroic or meritorious achievement or service, not involving participation in aerial flight, in connection with military operations against an armed enemy; or while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party.

c. Awards may be made for acts of heroism, performed under circumstances described above, which are of lesser degree than required for the award of the Silver Star.

d. The Bronze Star Medal may be awarded for meritorious achievement or meritorious service according to the following:

(1) Awards may be made to recognize single acts of merit or meritorious service. The lesser degree than that required for the award of the Legion of Merit must nevertheless have been meritorious and accomplished with distinction.

(2) Award may be made by letter application to Commander, ARPERCEN, ATTN: DARP-VSE-A, 9700 Page Boulevard, St. Louis, MO 63132-5200 (enclosing documentary evidence, if possible), to each member of the Armed Forces of the United States who after 6 December 1941, has been cited in orders or awarded a certificate for exemplary conduct in ground combat against an armed enemy between 7 December 1941 and 2 September 1945, inclusive, or whose meritorious achievement has been other wise confirmed by documents executed prior to 1 July 1947. For this purpose, an award of the Combat Infantryman Badge or Combat Medical Badge is considered as a citation in orders. Documents executed since 4 August 1944 in connection with recommendations for the award of decorations of higher degree than the Bronze Star Medal will not be used as the basis for an award under this paragraph.

(3) Upon letter application, award of the Bronze Star Medal may be made to eligible soldiers who participated in the Philippine Islands Campaign between 7 December 1941 to 10 May 1942. Performance of duty must have been on the island of Luzon or the Harbor Defenses in Corregidor and Bataan. Only soldiers who were awarded the Distinguished Unit Citation (Presidential Unit Citation) may be awarded this decoration. Letter application should be sent to the Commander, ARPERCEN, ATTN: DARP-VSE-A, 9700 Page Boulevard, St. Louis, MO 63132-5200.

are they eligable taking into account the above?

British personnel have been permitted to accept such awards before. I know this is the Army Rumour Service, however in my experience, speculation about who has been put up for such an award tends to lead either to disappointment/embarrassment or to somehow devaluing it if and when it does come through.

AMERICAN AWARDS TO BRITISH FORCES PERSONNEL

Legion of Merit (Degree of Officer)

Major General Andrew Peter FARQUHAR CBE
Late The Green Howards

Lieutenant General Sir John Panton KISZELY KCB MC
Late Scots Guards

Major General Jonathon Peter RILEY DSO
Late The Royal Welch Fusiliers

Bronze Star Medal

Major Adam Timothy Stephen CRAWFORD
Royal Marines

Lieutenant Colonel Jani MAROK
Royal Marines

Major Simon James BANTON
The Staffordshire Regiment

Corporal Thomas Edward BOND
Royal Tank Regiment

Major General John COOPER DSO MBE
Late The King’s Own Scottish Borderers

Lieutenant Colonel Neil Davidson FRASER
Royal Corps of Signals

Lieutenant Colonel Mark Andre HOLDEN
The Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters

Colonel Paul Richard Lorimer LANE
Late Royal Regiment of Artillery

Warrant Officer Class 2 Lee James MASON
Royal Corps of Signals

Major John Stuart McDONALD
The Parachute Regiment

Major John Christopher PEREZ MBE
Royal Gibraltar Regiment

Major Michael William SHERVINGTON
The Parachute Regiment

Colonel Mark Evan WARING OBE
Late Royal Regiment of Artillery

Captain Colin WHITWORTH
The Royal Logistic Corps

Lieutenant Colonel Peter Simon Paton WORSLEY
Royal Regiment of Artillery

Major John Charles Julian WRIGHT
The Royal Anglian Regiment

Attachments

Hackle,

Please could you tell us about your experience regarding "speculation about who has been put up for such an award tends to lead either to disappointment/embarrassment or to somehow devaluing it if and when it does come through."

Is it an amusing story, or a sad one?

Tell, Tell!!!!!

BJOW.

Check out the latest King and Country, a fat tankie has been given a bronze star for driving US general and also given permission to wear it.

I heard those 3 CS boys, really pulled those yanks out of the sh@t. Interestingly most of the them wheren`t even part of 3, they where reservists!!!!!

Two died in Shaibah, Iraq, on Sept. 26, when an improvised explosive device detonated near their HMMWV during convoy operations. They were also attacked by enemy forces using small arms fire. Both soldiers were assigned to the Army National Guard's 2nd Battalion, 127th Infantry Regiment, 32nd Infantry Brigade, Fond du Lac, Wis.

Killed were:

Sgt. Andrew P. Wallace, 25, of Oshkosh, Wis.

Spc. Michael J. Wendling, 20, of Mayville, Wis.

Dear Service Personnel, currently serving on Op Telic as part of the UK Medical Group, at Shaibah Hospital. My attention, has been drawn to this thread, and I can confirm that documents have been passed to Whitehall from the Pentagon, referring to this incident, and inquiries are currently being made in relation to the proposed awarding of the Bronze Star, to certain key members of 3 UK Med Groups, Blue Light Matrix. I can confirm that these service personnel are in fact reservist, and have proved themselves to be valued members of the Multi National Forces, currently serving in Iraq. My counter part Secretary Donald Rumsfeld is currently looking into this matter and their names, will be published very shortly. In the mean time, I would like to take this opportunity, to thank 3 UK Medical Group & the Blue Light Matrix based at Shaibah, for all their services, during the current military operations in Southern Iraq.

Ian Andrews

Second Permanent Under Secretary
Ian Andrews

Ian Andrews joined the MOD in 1975. Early appointments included work in fields such as equipment procurement, personnel policy.

Currently appointed as Secretary to the M.O.D Medals and Awards Department, Whitehall. Authorising and processing applications from Foreign Powers, for the issuing of Foreign Awards to British Service Personnel.

As a Territorial Army officer, he took a year's sabbatical to serve with the Regular Army in Germany. On his return, he worked at HM Naval Base Rosyth, attended the NATO Defence College in Rome, and served as Assistant Private Secretary to the Secretary of State for Defence in 1986-8. Promoted to Assistant Secretary, he was head of the Defence Lands secretariat, and head of the Resources and Programmes branch for the Army during the Options for Change review. He returned to the British Forces in Germany as the senior MOD civil servant there, then became a Managing Director at the Defence Evaluation and Research Agency.

Since 1998, he has served as Chief Executive of what is now the Defence Estates Agency, responsible for the management of the MOD's very significant property holdings; particular successes there have included the publication of the departmental strategy for the Defence Estate, "In Trust & On Trust", and the introduction of a new procurement process recognised as a leading example in government on securing better value for construction in the public sector.

Attachments

Excuse the (apparent) ignorance but the only stupid question is the one left unasked (and maybe this one?) but do I derive from this that the British personnel who were awarded the Legion of Merit and the Bronze Star are not allowed to display them..or how does that work?

Yes British Personel have been granted the right to wear US medals and have had for sometime now, please see below, a picture of a WW2 group to a British Soldier, including the Bronze Star.

Attachments

Dear Service Personel, it is with great pleasure that I can disclose the following information. At this time, it would not be fair of me to disclose names however, I can confirm the following awards, to the following Regiments/Corps, relating the the previously mentioned incident.

Bronze Stars to

1x JNCO Blues and Royals (reservist)
1x JNCO RAMC (reservist)
1x JNCO RLC (regular)
1x JNCO RAMC (regular)

Still under consideration, for the award of the Bronze Star

1 x JNCO RRF (reservist)
1 x JNCO RAMC (TA)

Ian Andrews

Attachments

modwatchdog said:
Dear Service Personnel, currently serving on Op Telic as part of the UK Medical Group, at Shaibah Hospital. My attention, has been drawn to this thread, and I can confirm that documents have been passed to Whitehall from the Pentagon, referring to this incident, and inquiries are currently being made in relation to the proposed awarding of the Bronze Star, to certain key members of 3 UK Med Groups, Blue Light Matrix. I can confirm that these service personnel are in fact reservist, and have proved themselves to be valued members of the Multi National Forces, currently serving in Iraq. My counter part Secretary Donald Rumsfeld is currently looking into this matter and their names, will be published very shortly. In the mean time, I would like to take this opportunity, to thank 3 UK Medical Group & the Blue Light Matrix based at Shaibah, for all their services, during the current military operations in Southern Iraq.

Ian Andrews

Second Permanent Under Secretary
Ian Andrews

Ian Andrews joined the MOD in 1975. Early appointments included work in fields such as equipment procurement, personnel policy.

Currently appointed as Secretary to the M.O.D Medals and Awards Department, Whitehall. Authorising and processing applications from Foreign Powers, for the issuing of Foreign Awards to British Service Personnel.

As a Territorial Army officer, he took a year's sabbatical to serve with the Regular Army in Germany. On his return, he worked at HM Naval Base Rosyth, attended the NATO Defence College in Rome, and served as Assistant Private Secretary to the Secretary of State for Defence in 1986-8. Promoted to Assistant Secretary, he was head of the Defence Lands secretariat, and head of the Resources and Programmes branch for the Army during the Options for Change review. He returned to the British Forces in Germany as the senior MOD civil servant there, then became a Managing Director at the Defence Evaluation and Research Agency.

Since 1998, he has served as Chief Executive of what is now the Defence Estates Agency, responsible for the management of the MOD's very significant property holdings; particular successes there have included the publication of the departmental strategy for the Defence Estate, "In Trust & On Trust", and the introduction of a new procurement process recognised as a leading example in government on securing better value for construction in the public sector.

good lads....i bet they get their medals from the Americans on-time and with a bit of fcking gratitude too

this bond's a star

Bronze star winner: Cpl Tommy Bond, 2 RTR

A BRITISH tankie who ran a gauntlet of bombings and assassination attempts while protecting an American brigadier in Baghdad has been awarded the US Bronze Star for his bravery.

Cpl Tommy Bond swapped his role as a Challenger 2 operator with the 2nd Royal Tank Regiment for a stint as a driver and bodyguard in Iraq earlier this year.

His team was tasked with protecting a US Army brigadier responsible for overseeing the building and equipping of the fledgling Iraqi security services.

During Cpl Bond’s tour the brigadier’s convoy was attacked six times and on one occasion a Range Rover was destroyed by an explosion.

The team was ambushed during another incident and Cpl Bond had to drive to safety with his tyres shot out.

The danger didn’t stop when he was off duty. On most nights his Baghdad base came under rocket attack four or five times. “Living in the American Embassy in what was originally Saddam’s Presidential Palace was hard,” he said. “We were attacked so many times it became almost routine.”

Cpl Bond completed extensive training to become a member of the close protection team, honing his driving skills and his marksmanship with weapons including the HK53 assault rifle as well as the standard issue SA80 A2.

Impressed by Cpl Bond’s professionalism, the brigadier asked that the tank operator accompany him as a close protection team member during a tour of Bosnia due to start later this month. Cpl Bond, meanwhile, has been granted permission by the Queen to wear the American medal on his uniform.

Attachments

Dear Service Personel, I`m delighted to be able to announce, that top American General Richard Myers, will be visiting 3 Close Support Medical Regiment, at a date to be disclosed, in order to issue these Bronze Stars in person to these brave young men. Well done, Britain is proud of you.

Ian Andrews.

Attachments

Good Morning everyone. Can I say how delighted, I am to hear of these latest awards issued by the United States of America`s Government.
It indicates the cooperation between our two countries today. And let me also give my personal thanks to the men for what you did, because I know it was difficult, it was necessary, and deeply appreciated by our American colleagues.

Attachments

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
TonyBlair said:
Good Morning everyone. Can I say how delighted, I am to hear of these latest awards issued by the Unitied States of America`s Government.
It indicates the cooperation between our two countries today. And let me also give my personal thanks to the men for what you did, because I know it was difficult, it was necessary, and deeply appreciated by our American colleagues.
PM - SL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TonyBlair said:
Good Morning everyone. Can I say how delighted, I am to hear of these latest awards issued by the Unitied States of America`s Government.
Did nobody ever tell you to get your work red-penned before you submit it? It could lead to embarrasing errors ;) That almost reads the Untied States...... Freudian slip, perhaps :?

Ghost

:lol: