Bronco Model 1/35 scale M2 Bailey Bridge.

Bronco Model 1/35 scale M2 Bailey Bridge.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
smeg-head submitted a new resource:

Bronco Model 1/35 scale M2 Bailey Bridge. - In-box review of a long awaited for kit

WWII Bailey Bridge Type M2 Bronco Models
1:35 Scale Kit No. CB-35012

View attachment 425911

This model ended up on my doormat after a protracted battle with flea-bay and PayPal. I ended up paying nothing for it and was originally considering doing it for the D-Day Group Build, but after closer inspection, decided to let it go and become a static elsewhere.

The Bailey Bridge system was invented by British Civil Engineer Sir Donald Bailey...
Read more about this resource...

smeg-head submitted a new resource:

Bronco Model 1/35 scale M2 Bailey Bridge. - In-box review of a long awaited for kit

Read more about this resource...
I'd highly recommend getting an official manual to explain how bits go together and subtle variations in different builds and abutments ('cos the build was determined by length and weight limit amongst other factors.

As noted by @smeg-head, this is an M2 - suitable for NWE - NOT Tunisia or Italy where I believe only PPB (Bailey) - the first Model, was used by both U.S and Commonwealth armies. They were SCC 2 Brown.
The only difference between M2 Bailey in NWE ? - U.S ones were U..S Olive Drab and British continued SCC 2 Brown, not sure if Brit OD was used later.
For complete spotters, M2 us wider than PPB (B) and the last version EWBB was again wider than M2

I'd highly recommend getting an official manual to explain how bits go together and subtle variations in different builds and abutments ('cos the build was determined by length and weight limit amongst other factors.

As noted by @smeg-head, this is an M2 - suitable for NWE - NOT Tunisia or Italy where I believe only PPB (Bailey) - the first Model, was used by both U.S and Commonwealth armies. They were SCC 2 Brown.
The only difference between M2 Bailey in NWE ? - U.S ones were U..S Olive Drab and British continued SCC 2 Brown, not sure if Brit OD was used later.
For complete spotters, M2 us wider than PPB (B) and the last version EWBB was again wider than M2
I believe the M1, & 3 nomenclature is American and post war. I’ve never seen it in any British Bailey pamphlet.

In the M nomenclature, M1 is the standard Bailey which was developed at Christchurch and entered British, American and Canadian inventories from 1941.

The M2 was specifically an American version that did not enter the British inventory. It had a wider deck than the standard Bailey (US nomenclature) but not as side a the M3.

M3 was the British developed Extra Wide Bailey Bridge (EWBB) which was wider still and was only adopted by the British and Australians. It didn’t see service with the US Army.

The US Bailey Field Manual FM 5-277 describes the three versions and their origins. There are several manufactures still making M1, M2 and M3 Baileys in India and China and using the nomenclature.

Apart from the deck width, the major differences lie in the transoms. M1 transoms are straight. M2 & 3 transoms are longer and taper at the ends. You do need to be a bit of a spotter (like me) to tell the difference.

@bobthebuilder
Your U.S. FM is ideal for the Bronco M2 model in review - and we're both spotters.

As mentioned, only difference between U.S. and Brit M2s was the colour. And the historical note that the model wouldn't be correct for any MEF/CMF setting.

IMG_20191028_095356.jpgIMG_20191028_095431.jpg
If this model is popular somehow I can imagine a lot of RE's tutting about End Post positioning on the Bearings for the particular build and MLC.

ETA Pretty sure Churchill Crab wouldn't fit over the first Model - whether that was only with the flail lowered for use I'm not sure (it could be raised vertically) as I haven't got the dimensions.
The M2 became necessary partly because bigger tanks were in the pipeline - Pershing etc.

Last edited:
@bobthebuilder
Your U.S. FM is ideal for the Bronco M2 model in review - and we're both spotters.

As mentioned, only difference between U.S. and Brit M2s was the colour. And the historical note that the model wouldn't be correct for any MEF/CMF setting.

View attachment 426040View attachment 426041
If this model is popular somehow I can imagine a lot of RE's tutting about End Post positioning on the Bearings for the particular build and MLC.

ETA Pretty sure Churchill Crab wouldn't fit over the first Model - whether that was only with the flail lowered for use I'm not sure (it could be raised vertically) as I haven't got the dimensions.
The M2 became necessary partly because bigger tanks were in the pipeline - Pershing etc.
Although the road width of a US M2 and a British Standard Wide Bailey are the same, the transom designs are quite different.

The M2 is a 10” I beam with 6 equally spaced webs. The bottom flange is wider between the middle four webs. It is made from a single steel beam very much like the Standard Bailey.

SWBB transoms are 12” under the deck and taper down to 10” and the ends, made from four separate section of beam with welded .joints. The flange is the same width along the whole transom.

A further difference; M2 transoms have six holes for carrying handles, whilst SWBB have four.

Latest Threads