Broken Train set

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Pluvia_Plumbum, Nov 28, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know this may have been covered in lots of threads but I'm hanging up my boots soon after 20 enjoyable (most of the time) years in the TA.

Many of my fellow old school NCO's are thinking like me that the endless rounds of changes have killed a great deal ethos cameraderie and spirit which made the TA a worthwhile second career.

Has BLair and his penny pinching crony Cutback Gordon created this situation of using the Reserves as a band aid for the Hard pressed Regs. I.e backfill/BCR's on the cheap you bet.

Am I glad that by finally voting with my feet I might actually bring about a change in policy that doesn't involve invading other countries, perhaps. But as a serving soldier you can't complain too much. afte all you sign on the dotted line and go wherever the F@ckwit poiticians send us. Do I expect to be properly equipped and managed of course. Unfortunately as we are all too painfully aware this present administration provides cheap ammo that jams, and promises kit that probably will be delivered too late ( if at all ) and overbudget, while the incompetents at the MOD preside over their failed procurements time & again- if they worked in Industry they would be fired.

So what do you think, is the train set broken?

2. See ya!

3. Out of interest P_P, is there anything that would have convinced you to stay?

4. The trainst was fcuked years ago, that's partly why I left after Telic, or rather didn't come back. No Decent kit to play with (too expensive) lots of pointless exercises, lots of role changes, argh fcuk em.

5. In reality no , I have wrestled at lot with my concience about leaving my muckers behind. But everyone has a point where enough is enough and it gets time to move on.
    I half hope my unit makes some attempt to persuade me once I announce I'm off. But truth is I feel I have done my bit, family and Job are more important nowadays.

I have seen the changes that have happened over the last few years, given it all time to settle down and concluded that it really isn't the same organisation I joined. Neither in spirit or purpose.

If I sounded like I was having a bit of a rant then thats true, but my point remains though; the TA is running big time on the goodwill of experienced NCO's. Many of whome are getting to the end of their engagements. I know that I'm not alone certainly in my unit. If more of us leave then the powers that be will have to rethink.

6. The brain/experience drain is becoming endemic. Shame really as once it's gone its bloody hard to build up again. Best of luck!

7. Not broken, but using express locomotives to shunt goods wagons fucks everyone off.

Best of luck,
    PB

8. msr

msr LE

9. Want some advice, take you skills and find a new engine to drive you. You can use the skills to clean and pollish the points but try something like the Auxilliary air force. It is a huge difference to the clapped out TA but gives you the military ethos and camaradie.
    Nice blue engine, nice people, treated a a PERSON not a number, rank & name. ~
    Did me the world of good and I dont regret it for one minute

10. You've probably got a bit of on the bus/off the bus fatigue Pluvia_Plumbum :( . At least something positive will happen by leaving after so many years service, someone else can get promoted :D

See, even after being totally pssed orf and leaving you are still looking after your muckers :D

11. I hope that one day after you have spent 20 odd years supporting an organisation, some prick says something similar. I would like to know which part of the TA you are part of, as your comments on this site leave me wondering if you are a lonely individual. You seem to lack team spirit and think only of yourself and how the New Bliar TA suits you better, how the fat old slackers (the 50% who haven't deployed yet?) should F Off and leave a leaner TA, only it won't be the TA anymore it will be an exclusive club for "like minded individuals" to practise their command fantasies rather than a citizen army prepared to fight shoulder to shoulder with their colleagues to defend their countries interests. When I leave the TA, I can count the hundreds who would have fought and possibly died alongside me, when you leave will you be able to say that?

12. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

My bold - but nowadays that means that you've done an Op Tour - anything less - even 20 or 25 years of Service - means that the Army has not really had any 'benefit' from you.

It's harsh, I know, but that's how the world works now; the Army has got into the habit of using the TA, and it won't stop. Their view - and you can see their point - is simple:
    We do not need a Reserve in case of invasion
    We do need a Reserve we can call on whenever we need some extra bodies.

The TA is irrevocably different from its pre-9/11 days, and if you don't like it, I am afraid that you are indeed probably better off doing something else with your spare time.

The Train Set isn't broken, it's just being played with by bigger children.

13. Ok, back to the old question, who's going to provide the trg, food, uniforms, ranges and so on? More importantly, who's going to provide the Ethos? Train individuals and you get selfish individuals who piss off with the ball when it rains, train as a team and you get, selfless commitment, responsibility and trust. Which would you rather have?

14. I know how you feel having come back off telic the whole system seemed very jaded and run by the do as I say not as I do crowd. But had a look around and found a new unit (JCG) and found a change is as good as a rest. Any one thinking of jacking it in look around for new challenges while hanging in for one more bounty. What harm can it do you?

15. PP

Why not try a spell away from your unit?

The RTCs have expanded massively of late, and perhaps there is a role you could try there for a couple of years?

I did something similar and went to Bde for a tour. Best thing I did, and now I'm back in an Regt with a renewed interest, looking forward to another few years of TA life.