Broken Hard Drive, help needed please

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Aunty Stella, Feb 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have a HDD where the heads have dropped and the disk is now Kaput.

There's lots of stuff on there that I urgently need back.

Yes I know I am a tw*t for not backing it up, but I didn't so there you go.

Any ideas / experts that can recover it for me out there?
  2. Some companies do this, but it costs a small fortune.

If you can't read this platters then I can't see how it will work. Have you tried slaving it, and seeing if it can be read at all?
  3. Cow

Cow LE

It's going to cost you. Plenty of companies out there will do it, google will throw up a load. They'll rebuild it using spare bits and then extract the data.

Most will do a free evaluation on if it can be done and cost before you go ahead.
  4. As far as I know, there's no way of rescuing it without full-on technical knowledge. As Smudge says, it can be expensive but it depends on the time needed to recover it and on how badly fecked it is.

Should you get it recovered, you may want to consider an online backup system or maybe just an external hard drive. Many free email addresses can hold a lot of data in attachments, so just email your important docs to yourself. There are other methods of backing up, many of which are free or cheap.
  5. msr

msr LE

Can be? Will be! You may well be looking at several hundred pounds+

This is going to be an expensive lesson.

P.S. How do you know the 'heads have dropped'? Did you drop it?
  6. Several hundred I can live with. Anyone know of a company that they have used that they would recommend?

I know the head has dropped for two reasons.

1. The God awful noise it made when I tried to slave it and

2. Some tw*t (not me) dropped an amplifier on the PC that it was originally inside.
  7. i have had success by putting the hd in a plastic bag & putting it in the freezer compartment of the fridge for 24 hrs

then cloning the hd

cheap as in free, but at own risk
  8. Several hundred?? When a company I used to contract for trashed a disc, they paid a company called "Vogon data recovery" or somesuch £38k to retrieve some data.
  9. Take out the drive and put in in a plastic bag and place in the freezer overnight. Sometimes this can shrink the bearings enough to run it for a short time.

Connect it to a working PC as a second primary with no jumpers and see if you can access the drive.

If all else fails, you can try dropping it again from a short distance (like 8 inches) on a flat surface to see if something dislodges but that's a last resort measure.

If you have things you cannot do without, I would suggest buying a dvd burner and doing regular file backups with that. You could also set up RAID 5 with 3 identical drives with parity striping on. Not sure how that would hold up to the pc being dropped though.

You could consider solid state drives as well. Expensive and not as much space but also not as touchy to being dropped or shaken.
  10. Aunty Stella,

try this lotPC Image I have used them before, very good and if they cant fix no fee, if they can they will let you know the cost first.

They send back via royal mail special delivery as well!

11. Thanks for the advice chaps, will try the freezer thing tomorrow

Hundreds would be worth it, thousands wouldn't, it would be cheaper for me to pay my staff to rebuild the data.

Once again, thanks for the info and if anyone else has any ideas, please share them.
  12. Whilst I am at it, no matter what happens with the drive I will be implementing an "off site" back up plan.

Any of you clever techy guys got any thoughts on this?

My initial thought was to use a facility similar to that built in to PC Anywhere where you clone the drive and then the back up simply uploads any changes as opposed to backing up the entire HDD over and over again.

Plan is to have the server at work talk to a "storage" PC at my house via broadband at early oclock in the morning and for the back up to take place then.

I have static IP's at work and at home. Anyone got any ideas how I could achieve this?

Thanks in advance
  13. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

Don't p1ss about with heath robinson solutions, use a proper solution

Check out these two

I think Mozy is the best and at only $5 a month, cheap, but Carbonite might be better suited for a network setup

It uses the power of the interweb to back up designated directories to a cloud based storage area (i.e. a data centre). Once synced up it analyses the nominated directories and only backs up the changes
  14. Cheers mucker, if you don't mind I'll give you a bell next week when the server is back up and running to have a chat about the above