Broken Halfshaft on Freelander - Help Please

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by the_boy_syrup, Dec 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Ok here we go :

Driving into work tonight and suddenly loads of vibration and an almighty bang from underneath X Reg Freelander 1.8
    Look underneath and the rear halfshaft is lying on the ground still attached at the front
    So Tommorrow apart from swear at the inevitable parking ticket because I got it into a parking bay whats my options?

If I go down strap it up to get it home can I take it off the front end and just use it as 2 wheel drive for now?

I couldn't see any oil on the ground but would I need to cover or seal anything up?

It looks like the bolt holding it on has snapped and it's simply fell off so until I can get another any ideas please ?
  2. FUKIN sell it mate.

I have owned a 1.8 Freecrapper for the last couple of years and eventually off loaded it onto an unsuspecting punter a month ago. Sold as seen.
    Quite honestly the worst car I have owned since my MG Roadster that I had in 1982.
    Just get yourself onto any decent Landrover forum and look up all the problems they have - head gasket being the main one, along with the MGF which share the same power (did I mention 'power' must have had one too many beers there) plant.
    Every Freelander was built on a Friday afternoon - fact.
    Sorry. Sell it.
  3. Similar thing happened to me in 1981 when I was driving a C-reg (that's C at the right-hand end of the number plate - 1965) Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL) Safari Landrover. The lugs holding the propshaft to the rear diff snapped. I just removed the propshaft, slipped into fore-wheel drive using the 4-wheel drive knob and had no problems. It didn't even make a great deal of difference when driving along boggy haul roads and the petrol consumption was much improved.

TRRL were skinflints and didn't get it repaired during the remainder of the 6 month contract.
  4. Freecrappers don't have a 4 wheel drive option. they are fwd all the time.
  5. Half-shaft or Propshaft ? - Ours had a rear propshaft go. Solution - as advised by the local LR garages workshop manager - was "Get a spare off fleabay, tart it up and flog it."

The fleabay part cost be £100 - a genuine part would have been closer to £900 !

The worst vehicle LR have ever made. ( Except the series 2A forward control maybe ?) That drivetrain is way too complexicated.

Get an old Disco if you need a 4x4 from LR. Now cheap as chips and far easier to work on.
  6. Get a MINI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  7. what about 2004+, any better?
  8. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Not sure to be honest I've never heard a good word about them
    I quite like mine (up until now!!)

However a mate bought one brand new after about 30,000 miles it went bang
    He took it back to Landrover who told him "thats ok they do that " he was invited to put it round the back with the rest all with the same problem

Also on mine if you slam the passenger door the rar windo winds down

Be prepared for a lot of niggly little things to go wrong

Oh and I think I can whip the propshaft off and run it front wheel drive
  9. Should work with the prop off, has a viscous coupling rather than a traditional diff-lock apparently.
  11. Boss had one and same thing happened. He had the half shaft removed and had it as a two wheel drive, as the cost of sorting it was more than the value of it. He then bought the new style Freelander and now lets his 14 year old son drive the old crap one around his farm.
  12. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

A mate of mine looped a coat hanger under the back end of a broken freelander prop shaft and drove it 230 miles home.

Unless you are a hairdresser, get rid and buy a 110 Defender. Or go for broke and buy one of them white Suzuki things you hire in Thailand.
  13. set it a light these are know problem cars asept for the td4 version no one wants to buy them best bet insurance job but make sure u take all the add ons off if u aint declaired it to ur insurane company and take the seats out and sell them before u torch it makes it look like its been nicked for a reason
  14. Call the AA and get rid of it asap. I made the mistake of purchasing one of those things off ebay (I know, I shouldn't have done that) and still have the thing. My ex REME pal (when I took it to him to fix shortly after I got the thing) said "I wish you had called me before you bought that, I would have told you not to buy it", he then proceeded to tell me of all the badness it has.
  15. Buy a 200TDi or 300TDi Defender. You can knock out your own dints, paint it with a paint brush and best of all, the fcukers just keep going!!!