Broken Army? Newsnight 6 Sep 07

Broken Army? Newsnight 6 Sep 07

On Thursday Newsnight will be devoting the whole programme to an analysis of the state of the Army. We'll have the first broadcast interview with General Sir Mike Jackson in advance of the release of his controversial autobiography, Soldier.

Mark Urban will explore whether the funding and operation commitments of the Army have led to a crisis, and whether radical changes to its functions and set-up are needed. And we'll be releasing some fascinating polling about the public's attitude to the army, and its work in Iraq and Afghanistan.

And we'll be joined by a Defence Minister, who will be answering questions from a panel which will include former serving soldiers. But we'd also like to hear from you. What is the burning issue you want the MoD to address, or the one big question you want answered?

Leave your comments and thoughts below or send your message as a video - you can upload it to a video sharing website, and send us the link. (Please read these guidelines before submitting.) We'll aim to show some of them on Thursday's programme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/newsnight/2007/09/broken_army.html

Good question by SVEN

"Why was the recent DIN effectively gagging serving troops introduced. Will the minister sign onto the Army Rumour Service to talk directly to serving and ex servidemen and women?"

Pocoyo said:
Good question by SVEN

"Why was the recent DIN effectively gagging serving troops introduced. Will the minister sign onto the Army Rumour Service to talk directly to serving and ex servidemen and women?"
Did he post anything on here to draw ARRSErs eyes to the blog? 8)

I refer You to my post of Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:01 pm, on the State of the British Army thread - the first thrad on this programme.

:roll:

Seeings as though we are on the subject of semantics.

I was technically correct as I didn't state that you hadn't done it, merely stated that you will, and you did.

At no point did I say that you "would"

Pocoyo said:
Seeings as though we are on the subject of semantics.

I was technically correct as I didn't state that you hadn't done it, merely stated that you will, and you did.

At no point did I say that you "would"
It's what passes for discussion in Sven's lonely universe. :roll:

If you weren't bored befrore - you soon will be. 8)

Lads,I might be a ex-crab but i am concerned about the state of not just the army but the forces as a whole.miss spike asked me if I was to join up now would I feel the same now as I did back in 84.
Difficult answer as the world has changed but I did say this,I would care about the man next to me as if he was my brother.That part has'nt & wont change.

Well, since the debate is between just You two - and what a debate it is - I'll leave You two to it.

Must remind You of a mini 90 Days thread Stonks - only a select few post there as well. :roll:

Jackson's Clintonesque "I feel your pain" is hypocritical. More silences that the Archbishop of Canterbury. He's much less credible than the other talking heads (esp Sir Jack Deverell). Nothing yet to shift a minister, and his "10% would go a ong way" is glib. Looks like Drayson was in the studio, so let's see what he commits to. So far, there's nothing for him to respond to from Jackson.

Not eloquent, but Jackson can fuck right off. If Gavin Esler knew the first thing about the Army, he could rip him to shreds.

He should sort his fucking tie out too.

Ministers who claim "my colleague is actively working on it" deserve our contempt. Drayson sees this an escape and evasion exercise while trying to sound concerned. He certainly isn't going to do anything.

Drayson: "I've been on operations myself" :x