Broccoli leaves

Bit of a crap year in the veg beds. My broccoli got root bound in pots growing from seed and then got clouted by the dry spell. Bottom line, most of the heads are flowering before they form properly.

Bugger.

They do however have a lot of very lush looking leaves. I’ve Googled it and apparently they’re very nutritious and can be cooked like kale, cabbage etc. So far, so good. I’ve got a family reunion this weekend and a monster roast is in the offing. Rather than shell out on expensive and frankly pretty poor cabbage in the shops, I thought I’d give it a go.

Question is, does it taste OK?

Over to you and TIA.

Yes they are fine,along the lines of spring greens.
We only tried them for the first time last week after my mates wife mentioned she had been serving them up from some plants I gave them a few months back.
Just take out the thick vein and give them a quick steam.
They do wilt down so you will need plenty.

They are leafy greens, so they will cook, and wilt, hugely. Stir in butter, garlic, and serve.
If you have any chillies growing, nip off a few leaves and add them for a kick. The heat is in the whole plant, and could add a nice bite.
I only grow 2-3 chillies a year, most fruit go to friends, I have a scant handful at the end. But I do like the leaves. Way better than rocket or watercress.

I used to live near a vegetable processing factory in Kendal and they only took the florets off the broccoli, we collected the stems peeled them, cut into fine strips and steamed or stir-fried them.

We also ate cauliflower greens and anything else but their skip was full of boxes of imperfect fruit and veggies anyway, a whole box of fruit or veg would get binned if any had gone off. We had a flat like a greengrocer, boxes of stuff everywhere.

Broccoli is very nice sprinkled with garlic salt and then dried off in an oven.

Thanks all

Fry onions in butter, chuck in some diced potato and the broccoli leaves, bit of water and some diced tomato. Pinch of cumin, salt and pepper then lid on and allow to simmer on low heat until potatoes are cooked through and going mushy round the edges.

Big dollop of butter on top and serve.

The bottom bits become slightly caramelised and are tres lush.

I used to live near a vegetable processing factory in Kendal and they only took the florets off the broccoli, we collected the stems peeled them, cut into fine strips and steamed or stir-fried them.

We also ate cauliflower greens and anything else but their skip was full of boxes of imperfect fruit and veggies anyway, a whole box of fruit or veg would get binned if any had gone off. We had a flat like a greengrocer, boxes of stuff everywhere.
Kirkz walt

@Toastie , quick question re your broccoli, what variety are you growing, is it sprouting broccol?
I ask as my sprouting broccoli is only just getting going and won’t be anything like ready for some time, my calabrese is coming on nicely but again won’t be ready for some time and I am interested in having an earlier crop if I can.

Will you be flying the day after consumption?
F/O will probably be on oxygen for the trip.

@Toastie , quick question re your broccoli, what variety are you growing, is it sprouting broccol?
I ask as my sprouting broccoli is only just getting going and won’t be anything like ready for some time, my calabrese is coming on nicely but again won’t be ready for some time and I am interested in having an earlier crop if I can.
Both. It’s the calabrese that knocked, the purple sprouting won’t be ready until Autumn. I’m just circumventing it by taking the young shoots that ordinarily would develop into “heads” by harvesting it early as sprouts. Just as tasty but a bit wasteful.

Dwarf

LE
Both. It’s the calabrese that knocked, the purple sprouting won’t be ready until Autumn. I’m just circumventing it by taking the young shoots that ordinarily would develop into “heads” by harvesting it early as sprouts. Just as tasty but a bit wasteful.
If people like cabbage they will likr these. I do them in a little oil and black pepper and garlic, covered and stirred occasionally.
Molt bo.

Thanks for that, my calabrese is way behind yours then only about a foot high and no sign of any sprouting at all, does it go on to produce full sized heads once you have taken the first cut?

Thanks for that, my calabrese is way behind yours then only about a foot high and no sign of any sprouting at all, does it go on to produce full sized heads once you have taken the first cut?
Don’t know as it’s only been a week. Most of the sprouts I’ve taken have been the centre ones and it just goes on to sprout “branches”. They’re delicious, every bit as good as tender stem.

It’s not looking good for full heads though as most of the sprouts grow to about tender stem size then open up into individual buds rather than clumping as a head. I’ve found I need to cut them right then as they flower inside 24 hours if left.

God knows what I’ve done but I’m at least getting some produce from them!

Don’t know as it’s only been a week. Most of the sprouts I’ve taken have been the centre ones and it just goes on to sprout “branches”. They’re delicious, every bit as good as tender stem.

It’s not looking good for full heads though as most of the sprouts grow to about tender stem size then open up into individual buds rather than clumping as a head. I’ve found I need to cut them right then as they flower inside 24 hours if left.

God knows what I’ve done but I’m at least getting some produce from them!
Thanks I’ll take care with mine and hopefully enjoy some produce this year.

Latest Threads