Broadbandings and satellite

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Porridge_gun, Sep 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

I am the furthest house from my local exchange and I get the wankiest broadband speed known to man.

Virgin / Cable aren't in the area and am microns away from a freak out of biblical proportions.

Anyone know anything about satelite broadband, any recommendations, drawbacks etc.

I want loads of help and advice and in return I shall do nothing other than thankyou and take your advice.

2. Mobile dongles are pretty good, my last one was faster than my home bb, at 15 quid a month with a 5 gig limit, have you tried one of those?

3. Dear Mister porridge gun I find your avatar very disturbing...is it a recent passport photo?
    as for your broadband question...I haven,t a fukcing clue.

4. P_G
    I am in the same situation as you in that i am miles from an exchange. I was with virgin then changed to Sky 1.5mb download ******* yippee i hear you say. I use a dongle when its really slow and to be honest it is quicker than ordinary broadband down the line.
    Bone question i know but do you know what your line is capable of? try this out Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test
    Let us know what it comes back with

Cheers

5. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Cheers chaps, broadband dongle is pants.

I've just convinced Orange to release me from a contract due to lack of coverage.

I want me a satellite.

6. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

7. If you have not already got one of these it will be the best tenner you have ever spent

BT Iplate / BT Broadband Accelerator (048280) - BT Shop

PG I am in a similar situation for Broadband reception .... installed the Iplate and had a significant improvement .... took several days to settle down and establish a good link to the exchange . I also leave my Router permanently switched on to reduce risk of degradation of link .

meridian is right ... and best £10 I spent ... lots of my neighbours now have them fitted .

Certainly worth a try .

8. As others have said the BTIplate thing does ok as I have a mate who lives in the middle of nowhere and it improved his a lot.

Not that I am complaining with 5.8 mbps and even virgin around here are between 5 and 9 mbps.

9. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

PG, you donkey worrier

Did you get one of these

10. msr

msr LE

Stop living in the cuds, you hillbilly :)