Broadband via the mains???

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Bravo_Bravo, Jan 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dudes

No. 2 daughter is gettinmg a laptop for school use but the long-haired RSM does not want to use wireless routing. Physical cabling is tricky, so is it possible to use the mains supply as a means of distributing signal from modeam to laptop?

Not usre I've used the right words but hope you understand what I'm on about.

2. The mains????? No!

Whats wrong with wireless?
  3. Short answer yes.

I have put a LAN over the domestic AC system in my house, my office, my Dad's place and my in-laws.

Devolo have very simple plugs that you can use to connect everything up.

No I'm not on commission :)
  4. wow, thanks for the rapid reply.
  5. Thats just a wireless router plugged into the mains?
  6. As long as its not broadcasting RF stuff, hurrah.
  7. It depends how your house is wired. You can use a patch panel and have your BB sent to individual phone jacks. It's a bit of a pain in the arse though and you need to find place to put it.

T C
  8. Yep thats the badger!
  9. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

Yes its possible and worls like a dream at least in my experience

Install you broadband router as normal but make sure the RF is turned off via the routers management interface.

Then you will need a main networking kit which connects one of the Ethernet ports on the router to the Ethernet port on your computer. It should really be as simple as that but you are looking at £75 on top of the normal costs.

If you sign up for BT Broadband with BT Vision you get the mains network kit thrown in (well I did)

Is there any particular reason you don't want wireless

Also dont forget you can put the broadband modem/router anywhere in the house as long as it is in easy reach of a telephone socket, then just connect via a network patch cord
  10. Yes, you can use the mains as an ethernet LAN. Several advantages over wireless spring to mind, speed, distance and security. Not so much the speed of your internet connection but if you want to transfer large files between computers on the network a wired network is usually much better.

I've been using a couple of plug-in mains adapters and they work very well.
  11. Concern is RF hazard and young children.

Fair one.
  12. Are you serious??
  13. I understand your wife's concern but I do not believe that a wireless home network is harmful. Typical home wireless networks operate in the 2.4 GHz band, so if you have a cordless phone, a digital baby monitor or anything with Bluetooth in your house then you are already exposing yourself to the same kind of radiation a wireless router produces. Again, harmless in domestic doses, in my opinion.
    Show her this website: clicky.

And a quote from the website to back me up:
    And how many kids use mobiles?
  14. Sounds it.

To be fair though i use a Devolo kit in the house its much better than a WiFi setup and it also stops the locals packet sniffing for your passwords and such. But theoreticaly you can also leech a mains adapter system. I read about it somewhere and will try to dig it out .