Broadband "Hotspots"

We have the worlds shitest broadband provided by Virgin.

Ive spent the day being flipped between what felt like the Indian from Phonejacker, and Altcourse prison in Liverpool.

My problem is the "Ready Light" on the modem flashing, when it should be solid. They have not a clue what the problem is, and want to send a tech out NEXT WEEK to sort it out.

They tried what they could their end, ive tried here, we even signed up another modem without success.

Ive now resorted to "borrowing" bandwith from neighbours, but now even they have dissapeared, leaving me with a bunch of security enabled networks. Is there a "cheat" for this?

I really do not want to spend the next week talking to the mrs.

carlbcfc said:
Ive now resorted to "borrowing" bandwith from neighbours, but now even they have dissapeared, leaving me with a bunch of security enabled networks. Is there a "cheat" for this?
Afraid I can't help with your dilema, although I can offer you some advice on what you type on the Internet, Borrowing your neighbours Bandwidth can get you into trouble with the boys in blue. I know there is gun crime, murders and drug dealers galore but there will be a spotty nerdy young in a whizz police hit squad watching for key words like this. Where's my tin foil hat.

On the other hand you can try using default passwords, just like the one you got when you signed up to Virgin. Most people can't be arsed to change it :roll:

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
On a similar subject, is there any way to tell if someone is stealing your bandwidth? Mine has dropped down to less than 0.7Meg recently, when I should be getting up to 5.5.

CountryGal

MIA
Book Reviewer
wheres mrs when you want him?

What your trying to do is called "Wardriving" in geek terminology and is quite illegal, there have even been prosecutions in the UK for this crime unbelievably. Shows you where the police have their priorities doesn't it.

Anyhow, if the wireless hotspots in question just so happen to be secured with WEP instead of WPA/WPA2, it would be quite easy to break the password with the right software I suppose. Not that I'm implying anything...just sayin'....

Legs said:
On a similar subject, is there any way to tell if someone is stealing your bandwidth? Mine has dropped down to less than 0.7Meg recently, when I should be getting up to 5.5.
Yes...depending on your wireless router.

If your router is secured with WPA/WPA2 its highly unlikely someone has managed to break your password and stealing your bandwidth unless you've set the password to be "password" or something like that.

What wireless router/modem/AP do you use?

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
soldier.a said:
Legs said:

If your router is secured with WPA/WPA2 its highly unlikely someone has managed to break your password and stealing your bandwidth unless you've set the password to be "password" or something like that.

It's a BT HomeHub Mk2 or something. With a phone.

Do you have BT Vision Legs?

Or voip call in progress?

Even other windows open, streaming films etc etc, when the speedtest is done nothing in the house should be using bandwidth.

Are Virgin watching you?. There's a nice advert for them at the bottom of my page :D

CountryGal

MIA
Book Reviewer
carlbcfc said:
Using the phone as a modem at the minute. But that will cost me no doubt.
Most mcdonalds have wifi these days, theyll be open for an hour or so longer

Legs said:
soldier.a said:
Legs said:

It's a BT HomeHub Mk2 or something. With a phone.
Ok somewhere in its admin/control page there will most likely be a feature called "Current connections" or "Connected devices" or something like that. You need to look in there and look at the names of the devices that are connected (You can find out the name of your computer by going into the control panel in Windows and clicking on "System", then look for something that says "Computer name").

Once you have ruled out all your own computers, anything else that is connected isn't meant to be...and you have a problem.

Your problem is more likely to be something called contention though. Basically the bandwidth is shared at your local exchange between everyone who is connected to it, this is called a contention ratio. Most BT ADSL services have a contention ratio of 1:20. At its most simplest, this means that you are sharing bandwidth with 19 other people, and for every other person that is hammering their connection, your speed will drop by a factor of 1/20th.

Happens it was actually Virgin Broadband I managed to connect to. Must have thought id connected to "my own' service.

Im thinking of sacking Virgin. Just moved house with 2 months left on the contract, and being forced into another 12 month contract for moving house! Can that be legal?? (I was actually going to create a thread on that)

Depending on how clever a person is, you can use a variety of programs that will allow you to break into a wireless hub find the password and clone the MAC address of the computer.

So how do you get around this, sadly if these people want to steal your bandwidth they will have the tools to do this,

Solider A appears to be in the Know and has offered some good background info.

other issues that effect the bandwidth sharing is the protocol, for example if you are using email or other normal web pages you will use the likes of TCP/IP reliable but sometimes slow, however using other services or protocols that allow streaming you will use UDP or RTP (voice and video). Also depending on the time of day (which could see some services throttled back at peak hour traffic) also businesses may pay a little extra to get a fixed data rate which may also slow down your own service.

So remember if in doubt

1. Speed check your system
2. Check the settings in your router/wireless modem to see if anyone is hanging on to you who you don’t know
3. Try and use cable (from your modem to pc) if possible (and have wireless the function disabled)
4. Turn off the modem at night when not in use
5. Change your password if you don’t forget
6. Don’t leave sensitive stuff on your pc or laptop, use external drives if possible

The programs likely to be used are as follows that have been used to hack into wireless hubs

Air crack
Air snort
Back track
Aero dump
Wire shark

carlbcfc said:
Happens it was actually Virgin Broadband I managed to connect to. Must have thought id connected to "my own' service.

Im thinking of sacking Virgin. Just moved house with 2 months left on the contract, and being forced into another 12 month contract for moving house! Can that be legal?? (I was actually going to create a thread on that)
I'd look very carefully at the terms and conditions of the contract. Are you being forced into another contract or is it that your having to sign up again because your at the end of your current one and its actually a renewal.

Either way, notify them that you wish to terminate the contract once its expired or just before it does and then tell them to go fcuk themselves.

I forgot to mention with Virgin

Because they still use and have an analogue service parallel to there digital network they have many historic problems still in existence in the network which does affect the quality of there broad band service and these are

1. vandalism
2. people stealing service with cloned boxes
3. cable service been terminated but not done properly
4. cheap top set boxes and mobile phones been placed close too or on top of these boxes which create noise in the system

carlbcfc said:

I really do not want to spend the next week talking to the mrs.
You could always just knock on a neighbours door and say your internet is down and ask if you could tap into their wireless.
This is more likely to work if you are on friendly terms and have not previously stolen all their bandwidth when they had no security on.

They are sticking to the "problem in your are" shite when I know its b0llox as I seem to be the only one with the problem here, and the issue only arose when they cancelled the old house service that I was actually using at the new house untill then.

I went through to disconections who had a serious attitude problem and set the cancelation for the morning, with us paying up the remainder of the contract. If they cannot give me a timeframe they can fcuk off.

I then went to the sky website where it was £18 for 20mb, tv & phone, then £28 after 6 months. They forgot to mention the line rental, even though it is they can control the line these days. Its would be 15 quid more per month in the end, and even after offering discounts, free box etc it would still cost £80 up front.

So back to Virgin to try to sort the broadband out, they keep saying "you have cancelled your service" not interested a slight bit about retaining my custom.

hy cant they just tell me when they can get broadband working?? Fcuking cnuts they are!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Soldier_Why Gaming and Software 22
Goodfella Royal Signals 60
Santa_Sunday Royal Signals 18