Broadband Dongle

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Boxy, Mar 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm looking to get one of these for my lappy prior to going on course, the plan is to change my phone to contract as well and see what package I can get, the course is in Bassingbourne(spelling), I have no idea of the coverage in that area.

So are they a good idea, and what is the better network for down there?

2. On another thread the Vodaphone one seems pants, try the major providers and check their coverage for the area.

Stilts

3. If you can go with T-Mobile, Web n Walk is only £7.50 extra with a contract phone. I do know that people use their phone as a modem for their computer, despite T-Mobile saying you can't.

Check coverage with a postcode at:

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/services/coverage/street-check/

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

If youread the website for T mobile they claim you can use your phone and for about £10 per month on contract you can have a dongle. Limited downloads though! :cry:

5. I am on the Pay-as-you go 3 plan. You pay £10 a month and an initial outlay of £99.99 for the Dongle. The only difference is you are not tied by a contract which means if you go away for 6 months you are not paying for something you can't use and you can just restart it when you get back.

Seemed the best option for me. When you go and buy the Dongle get the store to check coverage on their computer or go onto the 3mbile website and check coverage using the postcode.

http://www.three.co.uk/personal/products_services_/mobile_broadband_/detail.omp

Cut and paste linky thingy.

6. I am on the Pay-as-you go 3 plan. You pay £10 a month and an initial outlay of £99.99 for the Dongle. The only difference is you are not tied by a contract which means if you go away for 6 months you are not paying for something you can't use and you can just restart it when you get back.

Seemed the best option for me. When you go and buy the Dongle get the store to check coverage on their computer or go onto the 3mbile website and check coverage using the postcode.

http://www.three.co.uk/personal/products_services_/mobile_broadband_/detail.omp

Cut and paste linky thingy.

7. Their "Fair Use Policy" is there, however, I do know some people who absolutely hammer it with downloads each month and haven't heard a peep from T-Mobile.

I use it myself and have done for 2 years and it's fecking brill! :D

8. I pay £15 a month with 3 with a 3GB download linit and the reception in my area allows for a 4MB connection. I am more than happy, I am nowhere near reaching the 3GB limit and £15 is a pittance for broadband which you can take virtually anywhere. If you got to the provider's website or one of their stores they should be able to give you an idea of coverage in a particular area.

9. three have the best priced deal, but the reception can be rubbish. vodafone have an online coverage map (google is your friend here) which you can put the postcode into and shows you signal strengths/locations of masts etc. I used to work for vodafone, and we sold these dongles like hot cakes, and I would personally recommend the network over others (its the biggest). make sure it is working before you go, and if it isn't, take it + laptop to the shop and don't leave till it does! happy surfing!

10. IMHO, Mobile Internet access is the way forward for members of the HM Forces, as you aren't tied to a fixed landline for access and having to pay line rental on a line that is hardly used for calls. Now that all the companies have lowered their prices, it can work out cheaper as well.

11. Point to note for the near future, 3 & T-Mobile are combining their mast coverage. So are Orange and Vodafone.

12. my mate got one the other weekend, after a bit if a faff about he got it running (hes not really IT literate) not a bad bit of kit, he got it on 3, and gota cheaper deal as he's a 3 customer already..

if your there this weekend for w/e 4 i'll speak to u about it then if u want?

13. yeah thats great MS, as for the rest, cheers guys " I'm FFBox and i'm an IT Troll!" I only really need it to stay in touch as I dont download much stuff.

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

accessing a website usually counts as a download!