Broad discussion about place of Russia in the modern World.

Our friend In-Limbo in another thread (about Iraqi war) kindly expressed his views about Russia and its policy. I would like to answer in separate thread.

In-Limbo said:
KGB_resident said:
In-Limbo said:
And while we're at it... Sergy, tell that Dad of yours if he's got the Brass and the Honour to whispers some words... the Ruskies are pissing us off!!

Bunch of leftist BS you've been spieling, all the while supplying the very CNUTS who've been killing our boys in the field.
Mate, our American friends supplied freedom fighters in Afghanistan with arms against Soviet troops. It is a well-known, well established fact. I'm not aware about even one case then Russian authorities send weapons to Taliban or Iraqi insurgents.
Yeah, that would be dumb wouldn't it. Better to just ship it to satellite countries in the conflict though, as in Iran, Syria and hell while they're at it the PKK too.
http://www.heritage.org/Press/Commentary/ed013006b.cfm

Iran buys Chinese conventional weapons, including anti-ship cruise missiles and anti-tank missiles — and technology and equipment for WMDs and ballistic missiles, such as missile control/guidance systems, chemical-weapon precursors and nuclear materials and technology.
If not Russia then our Chinese friends would sell weapons to Iran (and to Syria as well) anyway. So why Russia should reject profits?

http://www.heritage.org/Press/Commentary/ed013006b.cfm

In-Limbo said:
KGB_resident said:
In-Limbo said:
OK, Afghanistan is a crybaby sore point for your lot, but if you can't get your crap sorted out then we'll be scratching our heads for eons.

Your lands performed a Radiological Attack in Britain...
I see it another way. Some political circles in the West used this case to spoil relations between Russia and the UK. There are no evidences about any sort of involvement of Russian authorities in the murder.
Again, that would be dumb wouldn't it, must maintain deniability up at the top, after all they wouldn't last at the top for very long would they. No evidence, pffff, but then I guess your countries Polonium sources are free market commodities eh?
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/03/w...2802000&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&pagewanted=all

Commercially, Web sites and companies sell many products based on polonium 210, with labels warning of health dangers. By some estimates, a lethal dose might cost as little as $22.50, plus tax.
In-Limbo said:
KGB_resident said:
In-Limbo said:
...as a call to arms, believe it, because everyone in power and everyone else knows it. Quite frankly considering who it is your lot should be really trying to friends with , it's we who are the very ones trying to pave your streets with gold and a put smile on your nations overly proud fisgogs all the way out to winterlands. And we are getting treated like we're some kind of antagonistic fcukwits, for thanks!!?

What's wrong, don't your people like Freedom?
I feel myself free. External policy of my government is right. It looks exactly as I wish. As for internal policy then is to too far from ideal. Moreover, on some points it is absolutely wrong. Though can you say that every Brit absolutely support British government?
Your legitimate political opposition parties, where are they? In exile? In Jail? Or just cowed. 80% of Russians liked Putin I heard quoted the other day, probably something to do with bread <shrug>.

But when the tide of popularity turns, and it will, the choices in your land are few and far between. Lifetimers make poor leaders chum. You should try some periodical bloodless revolution now and again.
If the tide of popularity turns then (as in any other country) new politicians would be elected to run Russia. Opposition parties (except the communists) are not very popular. On local elections they get as a rule only few per cent of votes. As for revolution then if it would be needed then it would happen.

In-Limbo said:
KGB_resident said:
In-Limbo said:
Muppets. The lot of them that rule you.
By contrast the British are being ruled by ... pets (at least one pet was at power) and puppets.
Operating under the illusion of independence eh?
As I see you agree with me. Though it is not my businees. British people has right to elect as a ruller anybody it wishes.

In-Limbo said:
KGB_resident said:
In-Limbo said:
They are so powerful and in charge of such a large country that anyone who speaks out publicly needs to be used as a experiment on natural borne flight and flung out of apartment block windows!
And if you doubt in 45-minutes claim barked by the pet then you have good chances to be found with you wrists cut.
You HONESTLY believe that we killed that poor old git?! LoL!!!! Put yourself in his shoes mate. It was bound to happen, and all it did was make the government look worse, it didn't silence anything.
I don't know was the man killed or not. I'm sure that you personally hasn't killed him. But we? It depends on your definition of we.

In-Limbo said:
But considering your country IS one of the most dangerous places in the world to be a freelance journalist, and it continues to be, then yes mate you better believe that someone in your government flung that man out of his flat window, a few hours after he leaked the story - and THEN forgot to leave a chuffin suicide note.
Nonsense. The died journalist was not well known figure. He hasn't written anything secret or unacceptable to the authorities. But all standards the Dr.Kelly case is much more suspicious.

In-Limbo said:
KGB_resident said:
In-Limbo said:
Your top brass are so out for money and personal capital, pretending it might one day do Russia some good. They always pretend to listen afresh to the business deals from what ever *new* CNUT comes their way; every month! But loyalty and honour...? <Phfffffff>

Changing attitudes like the Wind. Some of them ARE good guys, but most of them by their very own actions drag your nations economy down... down... down!!!
Meanwhile average Russian (and me as well) sees his living standards going higher and higher.
Yep, thanks to free market economics the bread que isn't a concern eh? As long as you all get your soup then which of you gives a **** whether you continue to build nuclear power plants in countries where the rest of the free world asks you not too? Who cares whether or not your authorities did or did not order Radiological Attacks on British Soil?
Yes, Russia plans to build 25 nuclear plants in the near future. If not then i fear gas supplies to Europe (including the UK) would be bounded. Btw china plans to build 100 nuclear plants. and I believe that the UK would build them as well.

In-Limbo said:
KGB_resident said:
In-Limbo said:
It's a shame for you, and us. We've got CNUTS in the top... but we can and DO get rid. Can you?!!!
Of course we can. There were tsars, communists at power. Where are they now? If current authorities would act against interests of the people then new revolution would wash out them to the trash bin of history. The Russians know how to start rebellions and revolutions. And our rullers are pretty much aware about this feature of Russian people.
Wait, are you suggesting that you can get rid of Putin? Do tell how? Do you have details. Perhaps you can elaborate for us?

We promise we won't turn your family in ;)
By elections. Unpopular politician hasn't chances to be elected.

In-Limbo said:
KGB_resident said:
In-Limbo said:
Errrr.... Nope. Better to pretend you choose that eh?

We're all being screwed 7 ways worth of Sunday over this shite, so someone with the monkeys brass needs to spread the word.... we WILL beat you, but we wont EVER attack you.

So why ask for it.... hmmmm?
Never say never. The West is not trustworthy. Many times the Russians were fooled by the West. So words are only words. But close economical relations then both sides would be harmed in the case of any conflict are something material, reliable. They (the relations) are not words.
Many times the Russians were fooled by the West?
Entering Kosovo NATO countries voted for the UNSC resolution that recognised Kosovo as a part of Yugoslavia. But really the West fooled Russia.

NATO promised not to build new military installations in former Warsaw Pact territory, but the new bases are there in Romania and Bulgaria, and now more are planned in Poland and the Czech Republic.

http://www.carnegie.ru/en/pubs/media/76030.htm

NATO enlargement, for instance, loomed very large among those grievances. This issue goes back to the reunification of Germany which took NATO eastward to the German-Polish border. This was when Russia was given the assurances that NATO would not be moved further. In his Munich speech, Putin lamented that those pledges fell into oblivion. “And what happened to the assurances our western partners made after the dissolution of the Warsaw Pact?” he said. “Where are those declarations today? No one even remembers them....Where are these guarantees?”
In-Limbo said:
Are you talking about the Nazis, the people you signed a pact with? Or perhaps Britain for not acting quickly enough to save your royal family? Or perhaps the Americans, for just not allowing your countries pent up aggression from losing so many men and women spill over too far into the rest of the Europe and the world? That kind of fooling? Hmmmm.

You're dealing with the oldest and the largest free market economy in the world mate, with a combined GDP larger than the rest of the bloody planet. Do you think for one second that we actually like the thought of a Business Partner acting as dodgy as your lot seem to enjoy?

On the other hand, we know how to honour contracts that are a couple of hundred years old and build up financial capitals around the world (just ask the Chinese), so perhaps you should stop and ask how all your hard won economic luxuries in life came into being, and then ask anew - why screw with us??
I meant that if Westermn politicians promiss something then is doesn't mean that they will act according to their words.