BRIXMIS

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by Watcher, Jul 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This thread in the Aviation forum may interest some of you if you haven't seen it.

BRIXMIS THREAD

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yes very interesting - but only to us old farts(retd) who remember those heady days in Int & Sy Gp (G), partic the adventures of 7 Coy, 3 Coy and 2 Coy!! To the young guys still serving it means nothing. Seeing as I was continously pissed for 3 years in 7 Coy even I have difficulty remembering it all. Went to see Pentangle the other night, brilliant, couldn't remember who they were though!!I'm sure I saw them in the early 70's in London.

3. London? Was it ever in the GDR or a PRA or TRA - Jesus - I must have been drunk too!

4. Some pics of a Brixmis vehicle on display at Crab hive Cosford. Poor quality due to shit phone camera.

What is the additional fuel cap looking thing on the rear corner window section?

Attached Files:

5. I know the wagons used to chase the sovs up and down had extra fuel tanks in the back, could that be it?

6. Get Brotherton Lad in here, now...

• Like Like x 2
  7. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Sorry, been on the piss at a Regtl do. One veteran of Imphal and one widow of a 20 year old who did D-Day.

The Senator had an extra fuel tank occupying half of the boot, so 2 fuel caps. Gave about 600 mile range on the car, or was it 800?.

Roof Rat will be along soon to put me right; I merely sat in the back and did stuff (or took a quick nap when the lads in the front weren't looking).

• Like Like x 2
  8. Thanks.

9. Brotherton Lad

Just to add, as part of the agreement the Sovs issued us with petrol coupons so we could POL up in DDR garages, but it was nice to know you had a couple of days' worth of fuel in the tank just in case you were feeling shy. SOXMIS had the same deal in Buende.

10. More probably a water tank filler. F6.

All those years ago Sov spooks would have been asking much the same question but in a less fun way. Maybe that's the point?

11. Brotherton Lad

Es tut mir leid, aber nein. Aus Zossen-Wunsdorf bekommen Sie 'null points'.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Blond genug.

13. Were the fuel tanks kept separate to prevent some naughty Commie sugaring your tanks at their POL or was it a different nozzle size used by them?

14. Brotherton Lad

No, merely a retro-fitted second tank with its own pipe. The basic agreement reference fuel, food and so on was well bedded in in my time and was respected very honourably.

After my first rather iffy detention (which involved a DDR policeman on my bonnet with a pistol drawn) I learnt the deal was to step out of the car and salute the Soviet officer who had 'caught' me. This usually ended in a cup of tea with vodka, even lunch on one occasion. Jolly decent sorts, they were.

Not one of mine:

[​IMG]

Edit. Actually I seem to recall DDR fuel lines were pretty small, after all they had to fit into a Trabbie. In theory we could also have rocked up at a Sov barracks and drawn fuel there (so long as it wasn't in PRA) but I didn't hear of anyone doing it in my day.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Cheers for that. A fascinating period. The museum at Chickers is pretty good for that if I recall.