Brixmis Tourer

Hi just joined the site, Ex Army last unit BRIXMIS Tour Driver NCO 1977-80 & Married to an ex QARANC NCO and A&E Nursing sister. We are retired (ten years) and now living the good life (Eight Years)in the Correze region of France.Still driving Landies and the Boss well she has her MG Midget. Have we any more mission vet's out there?.

Loads. Brotherton Lad and RoofRat to mention just two.

Don't want to hijack your thread but can anyone tell me what the roof on this Brixmis Range rover does. Big Rangie fan and I'm stumped.

View attachment 109462

Yes I got the pic off this site ages ago!

Well, the RR was used mainly by the RAF on air tours, so the roof had to be reinforced for all the extra cakes they carried with them. This had the added advantage of allowing them to stand on the roof to look over big walls at radars and runways.

By the time I joined, the RR and Opel Senator were being phased out and replaced by the sturdy Mercedes GW, also with a reinforced roof.

Roof Rat may know the history of the RR roof! He's much older than I am.

And welcome to the OP.

CIMG1172e.jpg

Don't want to hijack your thread but can anyone tell me what the roof on this Brixmis Range rover does. Big Rangie fan and I'm stumped.
Isn't it just a double-skinned "Safari" roof to help keep the interior cool?

Well, the RR was used mainly by the RAF on air tours, so the roof had to be reinforced for all the extra cakes they carried with them. This had the added advantage of allowing them to stand on the roof to look over big walls at radars and runways.

By the time I joined, the RR and Opel Senator were being phased out and replaced by the sturdy Mercedes GW, also with a reinforced roof.

And welcome to the OP.

View attachment 109467
Good grief! I've seen cadets older then that!

And welcome to the OP.

View attachment 109467
BL, an Admin Grenade appears to have detonated next to your vehicle.

That pic of Range Rover, whats with the owl looking thing on the front wheel?
It may be a mole.

The RAF driver (Al St ) was about my age (well past 25), but since he died on the Herald of Free Enterprise in March 1987, you can wind your necks in. Mid-morning admin break to replen the thermos flasks for the brew stop every 2 hours. If I remember right, he wrapped the stoves and kettles up in cloths.

In fact, the sailor who took the picture has also died more recently, so I'm the only sod left from that crew.

I'd never even heard of BRIXMIS until the Geraghty book came out after I'd left. Was it advertised in DCIs like the other speshul stuff? I doubt they'd have let me in it anyway even if I had known of it, as I didn't have a 600. I'm surprised they let me in the RAF to be honest. Desperate times. Desperate measures.

I never saw it advertised. I was chatted up in the old-fashioned way at a cocktail party and invited to give a lesson of about an hour on cold weather equipment and living in the cold.

And welcome to the OP.

View attachment 109467
Great Stuff. We used to get outraged (well not really) at SOXMIS wearing leather jackets which were technically uniform, but didn't look it. Looks like our boys used a not dissimilar approach.

Anyone see the BRIXMIS exhibition at the NAM some years ago? Bit I liked best was the 1033 they asked Herr Wolf-Rudiger Hess to sign for "Prisoner No 7 - Body - Complete - 1".

Ahem! Only 7 prisoners in Spandau and Herr Hess was No. 7.

We wore issue kit in the east. Always low key, no DPM; so lightweights, shirt or woolly pully (and Arctic issue after my lesson). Union Flag (on velcro). No headwear unless it was cold; less to lose in embarrassing places. No puttees for the same reason. Flying boots were popular and we had eastie beastie galoshes for places where footprints may have been iffy. And, err, Regtl stable belts.

CIMG1129.jpg

Were they trained to squawk left a bit, right a bit and straight on?

What a hoot.

It may be a mole.

The RAF driver (Al St ) was about my age (well past 25), but since he died on the Herald of Free Enterprise in March 1987, you can wind your necks in. Mid-morning admin break to replen the thermos flasks for the brew stop every 2 hours. If I remember right, he wrapped the stoves and kettles up in cloths.

In fact, the sailor who took the picture has also died more recently, so I'm the only sod left from that crew.
Mmm, funnily enough I was thinking of some sort of Feathermen plot, did you lot ever run someone's cat over or something?
It seems that the OP's not been back and now he's got your number.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ches-fford Military History and Militaria 16
ches-fford Military History and Militaria 97
Fred_Frog_1987 Aviation 188