Brixmis Tourer

Discussion in 'ARRSE Social, Events & Networking' started by BRIXMIS,RADAR, Feb 10, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi just joined the site, Ex Army last unit BRIXMIS Tour Driver NCO 1977-80 & Married to an ex QARANC NCO and A&E Nursing sister. We are retired (ten years) and now living the good life (Eight Years)in the Correze region of France.Still driving Landies and the Boss well she has her MG Midget. Have we any more mission vet's out there?.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Loads. Brotherton Lad and RoofRat to mention just two.
  3. Don't want to hijack your thread but can anyone tell me what the roof on this Brixmis Range rover does. Big Rangie fan and I'm stumped.

View attachment 109462

Yes I got the pic off this site ages ago!
  4. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Well, the RR was used mainly by the RAF on air tours, so the roof had to be reinforced for all the extra cakes they carried with them. This had the added advantage of allowing them to stand on the roof to look over big walls at radars and runways.

By the time I joined, the RR and Opel Senator were being phased out and replaced by the sturdy Mercedes GW, also with a reinforced roof.

Roof Rat may know the history of the RR roof! He's much older than I am.

And welcome to the OP.

5. Isn't it just a double-skinned "Safari" roof to help keep the interior cool?
  6. Good grief! I've seen cadets older then that!
  7. BL, an Admin Grenade appears to have detonated next to your vehicle.
  8. That pic of Range Rover, whats with the owl looking thing on the front wheel?
  9. A cat?
  10. A very small Stasi man.
  11. Weren't they fitted with owls?
  12. Were they trained to squawk left a bit, right a bit and straight on?
  13. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

It may be a mole.

The RAF driver (Al St ) was about my age (well past 25), but since he died on the Herald of Free Enterprise in March 1987, you can wind your necks in. Mid-morning admin break to replen the thermos flasks for the brew stop every 2 hours. If I remember right, he wrapped the stoves and kettles up in cloths.

In fact, the sailor who took the picture has also died more recently, so I'm the only sod left from that crew.
  15. I think that was the original plan but due to 1980s cost saving measures they were fitted for, but not with, owls.