Brixmis G wagon

After a lot of work a 1989 G wagon used by Brixmis has been rebuilt and ready to display at the Duxford show it is still owned by the IWM .
The damage caused when in service in the DDR have been repaired . a tidy bit of history from the good old days .
the picture shown is during rebuild ..
Cliff

Attachments

B

Biscuits_AB

It got whacked by a BMP allegedely. I seen the 'wreckage' in Stadium Bks. I thought that it was\earlie than 1989 though. Lucky boys, by all accounts the collision was not an accident. If I recall correctly it was around the same time that a Yank Officer from the US Mission got shot dead for getting too close to something he shouldn't have been close too and not heeding the Sovs warning to bugger off.

Unless of course this is a different vehicle. If I'm right, it was one of the 'aquired' Argie ones from Stanley.

G Wagens were also used by Berlin Infantry Brigade and 3 Intelligence & Security Company for flag tours in the Soviet Sector. The carried normal British Army registration plates and were not allowed outside the city boundaries, except on the autobahn corridor to Helmstedt. There was at least one flag tour every day except Christmas Day, and the Int Corps crews wore other unit's berets when on thier tours.

A lot of the Berlin Brigade's vehicles were paid for by the Berlin Lande government, and they insisted on buying German ones, which is why they used G Wagens and not Range Rovers.

Chinggis said:
G Wagens were also used by Berlin Infantry Brigade and 3 Intelligence & Security Company for flag tours in the Soviet Sector. The carried normal British Army registration plates and were not allowed outside the city boundaries, except on the autobahn corridor to Helmstedt. There was at least one flag tour every day except Christmas Day, and the Int Corps crews wore other unit's berets when on thier tours.

A lot of the Berlin Brigade's vehicles were paid for by the Berlin Lande government, and they insisted on buying German ones, which is why they used G Wagens and not Range Rovers.
... the fact that the Range Rovers were appallingly unreliable, and leaked like a leaky Series III, had much to do with that decision.

B

Biscuits_AB

Chinggis said:

Yep, I used to sit on Checkpoint Charlie and watch guys with Catering Corps Cap Badges, Fuslier Hackles, AAC Berets.................and all wearing No2 Dress with Int Corps Buttons on :roll: .

There was no way the Sovs could have sussed them :wink:

The drivers for the Flag Tours were provided by 62 Tpt & Mov Sqn RCT. The commanders came from a number of units after completing a Berlin Inf Bde course. I went on, one very much as a passenger, with one of my Sqn's commanders.

Biscuits_AB said:
Chinggis said:
Yep, I used to sit on Checkpoint Charlie and watch guys with Catering Corps Cap Badges, Fuslier Hackles, AAC Berets.................and all wearing No2 Dress with Int Corps Buttons on :roll: .

There was no way the Sovs could have sussed them :wink:
They would have been on sight seeing trips, flag tours were done in working dress. I agree though, it was a bit pointless changing headress and not the buttons on No. 2's.

Range Rovers weren't apallingly unreliable! Going for the Gwagen had nothing to do Range Rover reliability,and everything to do with spares,and a front and rear Diff lock!
:crash:

RoofRat

They would have been on sight seeing trips, flag tours were done in working dress. I agree though, it was a bit pointless changing headress and not the buttons on No. 2's.
Remember going along the Border with bottle tops in our berets, and watching the two osties rapidly flicking through a book, mind you they also fought over the Binos when we held up a copy of Fiesta :)

RoofRat said:
Range Rovers weren't apallingly unreliable! Going for the Gwagen had nothing to do Range Rover reliability,and everything to do with spares,and a front and rear Diff lock!
:crash:

RoofRat
I wouldn't take too much notice of ill informed criticism of Range Rovers, it's just the nfashion to knock British Equipment.

There is a Brixmis Opel Senatar at the Cold War Museum at RAF Cosford. Not much information is given about it, apart from how it was modde with extra fuel tanks, armour and 4x4.

RP

If you look closely at the Senator you will see it has a kink in the roof, thus the nick name bendy senator, caused by the weakness of the mono chassis after the 4 wd was fitted, The Sovs or NVA couldnt understand if detained we just couldnt open the doors we werent being difficult honest.Other Opel types were used through the 60s and 70s but these were shipped to Coventrys Siskin Drive FF works to have their mods fitted, they did not bend. The real draw back with the Rangy was that the roof collapsed when a couple of hairys stood on it for any length of time to take picys, get a crick in your neck driving the buggers back to Potters, the moded roof created other problems, the screws let water in and gradually the roof lining filled with water untill it burst and flooded all the electrics. The G is fully restored and fully operational again now, and on display at DISC.

Attachments

Chinggis said:

Chinggis - in 1979 and 1980 my job was to brief Flag Tour crews and conduct tours myself. A tour went over every day, including Christmas day. I (twice) did tours late at night on New Year's Eve looking for any 'changes' which the Easty Beasties may have brought in.

Oh, and we definitely wore our lovely green berets with Int Corps badges. And I have photos ... including one of the large WRAC bum of a Cpl unbogging the car at Karlshorst sidings. And that was an Opel Admiral.

I suppose things changed. I have often wondered how I came to be posted to from Berlin at short notice and sent a long way away ... was it that my skin was permanently wrinkled from the soapy water at Mon Cherie's? Happy days.

Retread: Things changed as often as whom ever was running the show at the time, everyone I talk to has a different memory of how things were, of course that was the plan, The permanent staff were also supllimented by visitors from the artists from time to time for special operations, thats why there was always at least a WO2 from 22 lurking,as sneaky beeky as it was there was allways something even sneakier going on.And of course the Yanks had their version.

Attachments

Latest Threads