Brits shot in France?

longhair

Clanker
Beeb reporting:
French Alps shootings: Man arrested in Surrey

A 54-year-old man has been arrested in Surrey in connection with the murders of four people in the French Alps.
[...]
The man was arrested at an address in Chessington on suspicion of conspiracy to commit murder.

Edit:
sounds like Saad Al-Hilli’s brother Zaid; age and location match.

Anyone who`s been in the a FFL is barking fcuking mad....no wait , I meant 2eme REP.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Course he did, shot a cyclist, then his children and wife, fouled the job up by failing to kill the little 'un and then topped himself. No one really wants the questions answered, not in the public interest.
Well I hope that the plod don't think like that and stop looking. You never know, if they don't stop looking, they might eventually find something.

Futher to my last, the case has reawoken. The Depress today has an article about the fact that Mrs Al Hilli had been previously married to one Mr James Thompson in the US. It seems Mr Thompson is said to have died of a heart attack but his daughter mentioned poison and that he was killed on the same day as the Al Hilli. Don't know why by I can't transfer the article.

Source Daily Express p7 and small mention in the i, also online.

That's in several news sites, methinks it's a weird coincidence and am wondering if the insurance would pay out more if the American guy has been murdered rather than dying of natural causes....

Yeah, I'm cynical

Futher to my last, the case has reawoken. The Depress today has an article about the fact that Mrs Al Hilli had been previously married to one Mr James Thompson in the US. It seems Mr Thompson is said to have died of a heart attack but his daughter mentioned poison and that he was killed on the same day as the Al Hilli. Don't know why by I can't transfer the article.

Source Daily Express p7 and small mention in the i, also online.
Took them how long to dig that up?!?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Took them how long to dig that up?!?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
Who the papers or the investigators.

Mind Al Hilli's Brother might have known. However the scource is Thompson's daughter aged 38, question is whose daughter was she? re reading the article the allegation is Iqbal Al Hilli secretly married Thompson between 1999-2000. Ergo the daughter can't be 38 (dob 1976) if born in that time frame. Also the paper calls her Miss Martinolich.

Now that sounds vaguely Eastern European. Marriages tend to be on specific dates and they tend to end on a divorce of which there is no mention. This sounds very much like a badly constructed cover story.

slick

LE
Bullets tied in with other hits apparently.... Police probe if murder of Brit family is linked to plot on hypnotist

French police are investigating if the murder of a British family in the Alps nearly a decade ago is linked to a 'plot' to assassinate a hypnotist after matching bullets.

Detectives in Paris discovered Luger pistol ammunition at the home of a man arrested for a failed attempt to gun down business coach and psychotherapist Marie-Hélène Dini, 55.

The rounds, which fit the German-issue WWI and WWII pistol, are reportedly the same as the type used in the killing of a Surrey engineer, his wife and mother-in-law while they were on a family holiday with their young daughters in September 2012.

4(T)

LE

Unless they find a pistol that produces the same rifling marks on the rounds they've found, its all utterly meaningless - there were hundreds of thousands of pistols made in that calibre, and hundreds of millions of rounds. The Swiss army alone sold thousands into the surplus markets.

Incidentally, the 21 rounds used in the crime would seem to indicate 3x 7-round magazines. The Luger being speculated about would have had an 8-round mag. Possibly they should be looking for one of the many other types of 7.65mm pistols that were produced.

How much is a Luger worth?

Depends on model and condition, but anything from around a grand to 50K'ish.

The thing with France is they will have been dropped by dead, and retreating Germans at the end of WW2. There are probably loads tucked away in sheds all over France.

As to finding ammunition similar to that used in the shooting............how many goods wagons full of that type of ammo were produced? Unless there is a ballistic match it is a really limp statement to make and was probably only a passing comment made by a Gendarme.

Last edited: