Brits Serving Uncle Sam

The Adjt is currently on fairly large scale CPX with Uncle Sam in Germany... So far I have come across three former British Citizens just on this exercise, ranging from a Full Bird Colonel, a Captain and a Staff Sergeant serving Uncle Sam. While the latter was born in Germany to a British mother, the two officers were born in the UK.

The Captain is a full on Manc who went to the US on a 'Soccer' scholarship and has no trace of an American accent whatsoever. So the question is this - how many ARRSErs out there are/were Brits working for Uncle Sam? Has anyone left the British Ranks and 'transferred'?

Anecdotes welcome!

Adjutant

I did a training jump near Tuzla with a yank airborne unit, the 'jumpmaster' was a Jock SNCO who'd moved to the States as a young lad with his parents, then subsequently joined the US Army.

Still had the full-on Jock accent, not sure what he thought of us as he'd never served in the Brit Army I think he was a bit wary of being stitched up somehow?!! Top bloke though :wink:

dont know anybody whos served with the yanks, but was watching a programme about the apache when they introduced a guy who was responsible for bombing them up. he started speaking i was quite shoocked to find he was from birtain.

crazy stuff.

I was working with 82nd Airborne a few years ago and whilst prepping for a brigade night drop I got talking to one of their riggers who was prepping my vehicle. Broad scouser, ex - loggie who'd always wanted to be airborne but had failed P Coy due to injury. Fast forward a couple years and he'd met and married an American girl, got his US passport and immediately joined up. Sailed through 82nd's jump training, got qualified and the rest is history.
He said that he absolutely loved it and although the pay was comparably lower than the British army, the opportunities for 'kicking ass' around the world were a lot greater, with money being no object. Bear in mind this was early 90's.

I remember watching GW1 on the North East news there was an interview with a female USMC type (who also had a baby) who was from, and still visited. Co. Durham.

takemedrunkimhome said:
dont know anybody whos served with the yanks, but was watching a programme about the apache when they introduced a guy who was responsible for bombing them up. he started speaking i was quite shoocked to find he was from birtain.

crazy stuff.
I'd be shoocked too - where the frigg is Birtain then ? Is it some septic Island off the coast of the USA :?

CombatCarer said:
British citizens have always served in the American armed forces. First time was 1775 :D
Correct, George Washington was a British citizen and a vile traitor. May he rot in a particularly hot corner of hell where demons constantly say "have a nice day now."

cernunnos said:
CombatCarer said:
British citizens have always served in the American armed forces. First time was 1775 :D
Correct, George Washington was a British citizen and a vile traitor. May he rot in a particularly hot corner of hell where demons constantly say "have a nice day now."
Says you! You jumped ship with the sausage eaters! 8O

MrShanklysboots said:
cernunnos said:
CombatCarer said:
Says you! You jumped ship with the sausage eaters! 8O
It's called occupation actually, this small remnant of the once mighty Rhine Army kept my German wife occupied last night, with blow jobbery and other diversionary tactics.

That will keep her filthy hands off Poland for a while!

cernunnos said:
Correct, George Washington was a British citizen and a vile traitor.
I think that Washington bore the titlte of "traitor" to the Crown quite proudly.

Remember that one person's definition of "vile" is another person's definition of "Father of our Country".

gator said:
cernunnos said:
I think that Washington bore the titlte of "traitor" to the Crown quite proudly.

Remember that one person's definition of "vile" is another person's definition of "Father of our Country".
So, what you're saying is that the Father of your Country was actually a vile traitor. Does that mean..............? :)

CombatCarer said:
gator said:
cernunnos said:

So, what you're saying is that the Father of your Country was actually a vile traitor. Does that mean..............? :)
Being a traitor to King George was considered a virtue in many circles.

Tom Abrams, writer of "The Cage" served as an officer in US army in Vietnam (not a walt, though not all his story adds up), an old boy of my old school, his photo was with the VC's paintings in one of the cloisters.

Despite his claim to be the only Brit to be commissioned in the US Army he wasn't even the only one from my School, another lad (whose name I can't remember) getting a silver star in the Medical Corps, again in Vietnam.

In GW1 I can remember a lot of coverage of a girl from Penarth who was serving with the USMC.

Not quite the same thing but I went through Hendon with a British Lad who had served in the Philadelphia Police and knew another who had been a cop in the deep south. Another school friend of mine was so enamoured of the TV Show CHiPS that he emmigrated to California and joined.

Trotsky

gator said:
CombatCarer said:
gator said:
cernunnos said:

Being a traitor to King George was considered a virtue in many circles.
You're quite right there, gator! More than a few people back in Britain were none too keen on George III either!

Don't forget it wasn't so many years before 1776 that the English killed a tyrannical king (THAT "taxation & representation" issue being a key concern!) & declared a Republic; LOTS of people in Parliament were cock a hoop when their American kin asserted their rights as "Freeborn Britons" and stuck it to George & his incompetent & unpopular government.

Not a lot of Americans (nor Britons for that matter!) realise this today - part of our "forgotten history"! For many Britons the creation of the infant American Republic was the realisation of a dream held since the middle of the previous century; the founding of a "God Fearing Commonwealth" - a Bunyanesque "Shining City On A Hill" where no man called himself lord & master on account of accident of birth.

George Washington was the best sort of Englishman, "defending the right" as he saw it and upholding the dignity & independence of freeborn Britons.

I know of one guy, a family friend, who served with the RMP and after leaving joined a US police department, can't remember which one - but he has a British mother and American father so I guess counts as both a Brit and a Yank.

I also remember seeing a news piece some years ago about a British girl who was/is an F18 pilot flying off carriers. If I remember rightly she had grown up in the US - but no idea if either of her parents were Yanks.

In 1958 I took part in a Signals joint ex with the Yanks just south of,from memory, Wurttemberg.
They had equipment that did pretty much what it was designed for, whereas we were still stuffing around with WW11 19 sets.
They had a captain who was originally from Yorkshire, his parents having emigrated following the war. Unfortunately, I have long forgotten his name, but for years I kept a unit badge one of his blokes gave me, had the motto "Prima Vox Audiat" which I believe translates as first voice heard.
Not much wrong with Uncle Sam's men, hospitable bunch.

I dont know of any Brits serving in the American Army, but I know of a Yank serving in ours. hails from New Jersey. Full on Yank accent, American wife the works.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
bubblehead Multinational HQ 22
D Infantry 41
W Current Affairs, News and Analysis 1