"Brits made Helmand worse"

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
If you want to make a place better, maybe don't drop bombs on it.
Unless you are Germans or Japanese? And the Vietnamese seem to be doing pretty well, considering a lot of their countryside is still full of holes.

Perhaps, if you want to make a place better, remove the entire indigenous population and replace it with people who actually have a genuine work ethic, and who feel a duty to make the place better and improve things for themselves and their children, rather than preferring to have things exactly as they were in the 7th C - with the addition of explosives and mobile 'phones.

Unless you are Germans or Japanese? And the Vietnamese seem to be doing pretty well, considering a lot of their countryside is still full of holes.

Perhaps, if you want to make a place better, remove the entire indigenous population and replace it with people who actually have a genuine work ethic, and who feel a duty to make the place better and improve things for themselves and their children, rather than preferring to have things exactly as they were in the 7th C - with the addition of explosives and mobile 'phones.
I was being facetious rather than satirical, but I agree.

Also, making things better was never the aim in Helmand. It may have formed part of the strategy, but the aim was to oust the Taliban.

So off the researchers go and talk to 53 Taliban Commanders and come back with a report on how the Taliban did great and the Coalition made things worse, hardly a surprising conclusion really !!

In one paragraph the report states that because the Taliban were taking extensive casualty's during firefights against British Forces it's Britain's FAULT that they left, went to Pakistan, and brought back MORE forces. I would put that decision down to `Tactical Planning` and having smarts.

Basically, if the indigenous population do not want help to improve living conditions no amount of force level will help.

But. . but . .we built them a Ferris Wheel at Lash!

"Brits made Helmand worse".... What did we do that was so bad?

It's not as if we introduced congestion charges at the bazaar or astronomical mortgage rates on mud huts or banned smoking from the Taliban working mans club or charged the locals £3.90 for a pint. From where I'm sat I think Helmand got off bloody lightly.

Seventh century? I doubt the place has evolved socially since the C4th BC when The Macedonians dropped in.

M

Mr_Logic

Does the article mention the Afghan propensity for raping young boys or the serial raping of young Afghan Army recruits? Do the Taliban mention this disfunctional and brutal aspect of Afghan society that makes Jimmy Savile look like a harmless but slightly odd DJ?

Aghanistan will continue to support the adage that you just can't polish a turd. They haven't got anything we want. They can't afford anything we sell, unless we give them the money to buy it.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
The only strategy I've seen suggest that might have worked in Iraq, Afghanistan, etc, was one suggested by USMC General Bruce (Brute) Krulak in the Vietnam era.

That said start in the quietest, most pacified area of the country and work on building good infrastructure, creating jobs and cutting out corruption. Say to the inhabitants in the area with all these new facilities - let the insurgents back in and you'll fcuk up the better life you now have.

At the same time say to the inhabitants immediately adjacent to the original area. Now we're coming to build all this good stuff in your area. Tell us who the insurgents are and we'll get the good stuff built and your life will be better a lot quicker than if we have to fight terrorists as well as build.

Repeat as required.

Trying to crush an insurgency without giving the inhabitants an incentive to support you is an attempt doomed to failure.

Wordsmith

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Perhaps, if you want to make a place better, remove the entire indigenous population and replace it with people who actually have a genuine work ethic, and who feel a duty to make the place better and improve things for themselves and their children.
create a pashtunistan and bulldoze them into it - its possible the only way pakistan can survive as well. hive off the 4/5ths pashtun, reintegrate the 1/5th back into india giving them the nukes or wait until the pashtun/taliban celebrations then detonate the lot.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
bubblehead Multinational HQ 22
D Infantry 41
W Current Affairs, News and Analysis 1