Brits Jailed in India

CD05

Old-Salt
Anyone who has knowledge of the efforts to rescue the GW boys who were taken with Peter Moore in 2009 will strongly disagree with your second paragraph.
Was it 2009 they were lifted I could have sworn it was 2007 because I actually did in a very small way help out on this job when I was based in Baghdad but this is a different case that I don't believe should be played out on these pages! Also at this time there was various units working on other takings in and around the areas that could attempt to affect a rescue if AI came in but I don't believe it was a primary mission for the units in question and more of a if they get solid AI they they would go on it. Would you agree?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

CD05

Old-Salt
What do you mean "almost" ?
Was meaning it more like " they are veterans so should be treated differently, perhaps a poor choice of word but hopefully you get my meaning.

walrusboy

War Hero
our continually banging the drum for the ABF as if I have a problem with them, let me be clear I genuinely don't and I admire the help they give in the same way I do for RBL and H4H (who donate to all service charities) BUT I still believe that with regards the OP these lads have been found guilty and should do their time! The families continually saying " they are veterans they fought for this country etc" frankly annoys me as it has nothing whatsoever to do with what they are imprisoned for!! It's almost like they are veterans so release them! In my view if you do or are part of the crime you do the time.
I understand your point of view. It's similar to that of John G's and probably a host of others. I do get it and respect that particular opinion. However, I do believe that where there is a proven need for the family, it's perfectly legitimate for service charities to help out where they are able, regardless of what the ex-serviceman linked to the family is alleged to have done. I'm not saying this is the correct opinion but it is my opinion. I'm active in both the ABF and RBL and raise money for them. With this in mind I don't mind the money I raise and donate being spent in this way.

There might be more of these cases in the future as ex-servicemen continue to take international security roles and find themselves in host nation custody. Remember Bill Shaw from G4S who was imprisoned for bribery in Afghanistan in 2010. This is a prime example of a basket-case criminal justice system imprisoning a westerner on trumped up charges. Fortunately G4S didn't 'cut him loose'. Having some experience of the Afghan criminal justice system around that time I would not place any weight whatsoever on the merits of the prosecution case. If Shaw's family had a financial need whilst he was in custody I would have expected service charities to step in. However, I think G4S did the right thing in this case.

CD05

Old-Salt
I understand your point of view. It's similar to that of John G's and probably a host of others. I do get it and respect that particular opinion. However, I do believe that where there is a proven need for the family, it's perfectly legitimate for service charities to help out where they are able, regardless of what the ex-serviceman linked to the family is alleged to have done. I'm not saying this is the correct opinion but it is my opinion. I'm active in both the ABF and RBL and raise money for them. With this in mind I don't mind the money I raise and donate being spent in this way.

There might be more of these cases in the future as ex-servicemen continue to take international security roles and find themselves in host nation custody. Remember Bill Shaw from G4S who was imprisoned for bribery in Afghanistan in 2010. This is a prime example of a basket-case criminal justice system imprisoning a westerner on trumped up charges. Fortunately G4S didn't 'cut him loose'. Having some experience of the Afghan criminal justice system around that time I would not place any weight whatsoever on the merits of the prosecution case. If Shaw's family had a financial need whilst he was in custody I would have expected service charities to step in. However, I think G4S did the right thing in this case.
Fair play but on a few points we will have to agree to disagree which is fair enough. I believe if you commit a crime you do the time! (With regards the OP) And I strongly believe that should a person decide to work in hostile environments fully knowing the risks involved but is still happy to chase the cash and take the risks then their relevant companies should pick up the tab and our service charities cash and generosity should be better used to help physical and mental injuries and illness.

However, I do believe that where there is a proven need for the family, it's perfectly legitimate for service charities to help out where they are able, regardless of what the ex-serviceman linked to the family is alleged to have done. I'm not saying this is the correct opinion but it is my opinion. I'm active in both the ABF and RBL and raise money for them. With this in mind I don't mind the money I raise and donate being spent in this way.
I understand your point of view also, but as I was unaware of how the ABF spend at least some of the funds raised I will no longer support them.

There is simply too fine a line between "criminal activities" to separate what is technically illegal (such as the Afghanistan example) from what is both illegal and immoral (murder, rape, theft, etc), and evidently the ABF don't draw a line at all as a matter of principle.

I sympathise with an ex-service family which loses its breadwinner, but no more than any other, and when this is because the ex-serviceman / breadwinner has deliberately chosen to go the 'high pay / high risk' or criminal activity route, with the family directly benefitting when it pays off, or to break the law to everybody's detriment, I don't feel that I should be helping to provide a free insurance policy for them in case the risks they take don't pay off or they get caught. I may not contribute a lot to 'benevolence' (or have a lot to contribute) but I feel quite strongly that anything I do give should go to those who most need and deserve it, not those whose problems are of their own making when they were well aware of what they were doing.

CD05

Old-Salt
I understand your point of view also, but as I was unaware of how the ABF spend at least some of the funds raised I will no longer support them.

There is simply too fine a line between "criminal activities" to separate what is technically illegal (such as the Afghanistan example) from what is both illegal and immoral (murder, rape, theft, etc), and evidently the ABF don't draw a line at all as a matter of principle.

I sympathise with an ex-service family which loses its breadwinner, but no more than any other, and when this is because the ex-serviceman / breadwinner has deliberately chosen to go the 'high pay / high risk' or criminal activity route, with the family directly benefitting when it pays off, or to break the law to everybody's detriment, I don't feel that I should be helping to provide a free insurance policy for them in case the risks they take don't pay off or they get caught. I may not contribute a lot to 'benevolence' (or have a lot to contribute) but I feel quite strongly that anything I do give should go to those who most need and deserve it, not those whose problems are of their own making when they were well aware of what they were doing.
Yet again in this thread I find myself in agreement and completely in the same camp as you with this John G. I have always donated to the RBL,ABF and H4H who incidentally also donate to the RBL,ABF,SAFA and many other veterans charities however after the info from this thread I will not be donating to the ABF anymore! and I will be making my still serving and retired friends and family (one who works for H4H) aware of this thread and where their ABF donation could end up!

Latest Threads