Brits in Foreign Armies

Dave Barr. Also ended up in 44 Para Pathfinder with Pete Mac.
As did the late Ron Cook , ex 1 Para and who was familiar with the back alleys of Hereford as well. Was never a proper sky God, but he really gave it a good go. He did test my instructional abilities RIP.

Yup, whole bunch of furriners ended up there. Good mob on the whole.

As for skygods, it's all about holding the pose, no matter how much the guts hanging out of your knees and elbows hurt.

ETA:- Hooked into the ground at a mate's wedding. According to mate after the first bounce I sailed past him around head height, fast asleep and with blood coming from my eyes, ears, nose and mouth. His missus to be had her brother and his business partner there, both doctors. They jump started me and organised an ambulance to get me to A&E.

Woke up on a stretcher sans wedding clobber, only the arseless nightgown thing they give you. Found my kit, got dressed and waddled out the front door. Bloody painful but holding the pose. Nurse spotted me escaping, dragged me back and shoved me back in bed, hiding my kit on top of a cupboard where I couldn't reach it because I was too fucked to lift my arms.

Nicked someone's crutch to hook my kit off the cupboard, got dressed again and snuck out the back via the kitchens where I called said mate on a pay phone (it was a long time ago). He arranged someone to fetch me and I made it back in time for the piss up. Two beers and I passed out. Apparently that's what concussion does to you.

But I held the pose right to the end. Not about skills. It's about attitude.

Last edited:
Yup, whole bunch of furriners ended up there. Good mob on the whole.

As for skygods, it's all about holding the pose, no matter how much the guts hanging out of your knees and elbows hurt.

ETA:- Hooked into the ground at a mate's wedding. According to mate after the first bounce I sailed past him around head height with blood coming from my eyes, ears, nose and mouth. His missus to be had her brother and his business partner there, both doctors. They jump started me and organised an ambulance to get me to A&E.

Woke up on a stretcher sans wedding clobber, only the arseless nightgown thing they give you. Found my kit, got dressed and waddled out the front door. Bloody painful but holding the pose. Nurse spotted me escaping, dragged me back and shoved me back in bed, hiding my kit on top of a cupboard where I couldn't reach it because I was too fucked to lift my arms.

Nicked someone's crutch to hook my kit off the cupboard, got dressed again and snuck out the back via the kitchens where I called said mate on a pay phone (it was a long time ago). He arranged someone to fetch me and I made it back in time for the piss up. Two beers and I passed out. Apparently that's what concussion does to you.

But I held the pose right to the end. Not about skills. It's about attitude.
A true sky god.

All about holding the pose. Can't be seen to be weak.

Not army as such, but there was/is a Brit doing the test flights on the Rooivalk attack helo for Denel. Initials TM. Good egg, unusually a vegetarian for such an ally occupation and shit hot at his job. Did a plummet or two with him as well.

Not army as such, but there was/is a Brit doing the test flights on the Rooivalk attack helo for Denel. Initials TM. Good egg, unusually a vegetarian for such an ally occupation and shit hot at his job. Did a plummet or two with him as well.
Unusually a vegetarian you say? ;-)

Yup, you'd think a bloke flying something like that would live on a diet of raw meat chewed out of the arse of a rhino on the run.

Yup, you'd think a bloke flying something like that would live on a diet of raw meat chewed out of the arse of a rhino on the run.
Of course not all "real ally men" necessarily have to fit the carnivore stereotype. Pointing out for a friend.
;-)

Don't have to but it helps. Being savagely gored by a turnip while hunting dinner just doesn't have the right feel to it.

In1976 during my basic, we had an Aussie. Just did his basic as he went off to play the Pipes with the RSDG (Scots Greys).
Strangely they called him Skippy, heard he was still with the Regt in the early 90s.
I do remember 2RTR having a SA or Rhodesian Officer. He'd served in his Nations Army as a Trooper, he had Brit family came over and got a Commission, how long he stayed with the Regt ain't got a clue.

Don't have to but it helps. Being savagely gored by a turnip while hunting dinner just doesn't have the right feel to it.
Point taken. That is why at this stage of life I merely go to the shops. ;-)

After I left I spent about 8 months living in a large student flat in the middle of Preston. It was cheap and a great deal of fun.
In there was a french guy called Fred. He'd been studying at UCLAN for years and had completed his masters in mathematics + some post-post grad stuff.
The only reason he was still here was that he was trying to avoid national service and as his family were rich they could afford to keep supporting him.
Finally though he decided enough was enough and he really wanted to clear the slate so he could lead a life of normality, so he got in contact with the 'relevant authorities'.
What happened next came as a bit of a surprise to Fred. As he was older and much more qualified than most French NS they decided to put his talents to good use. He got 18 months in Brussels working for France Telecom living in a civvy pad all paid for by the French govt. They still paid him conscript wages though, but topped up with allowances.
After that he went to London and off the back of the experience he got with FT walked straight into a 6 figure job with a large UK based telecoms outfit.
Some people just have charmed lives.

In1976 during my basic, we had an Aussie. Just did his basic as he went off to play the Pipes with the RSDG (Scots Greys).
Strangely they called him Skippy, heard he was still with the Regt in the early 90s.
I do remember 2RTR having a SA or Rhodesian Officer. He'd served in his Nations Army as a Trooper, he had Brit family came over and got a Commission, how long he stayed with the Regt ain't got a clue.
In my lot,late eighties early nineties, we had a kiwi and a Canadian. We also had a Rhodie officer, who was a complete nut job. He always called his homeland Rhodesia, never Zim.

Ran into an Ozmate who was on his way to join SF in SA. We got a bit pissed and ended up at a party that went sideways when he stabbed some gobby clutchplate with a fork in the kitchen. I punched the first one off his back turned around to block any others and the lights went out.

Woke up on the sidewalk outside the house with Sean out cold next to me. Dragged him to my car and got him to A&E where he eventually woke up and they told me the arm I'd been dragging had a broken collarbone (Oops! Sorry...). He also told me the reason the lights went out was some bloke with a half brick had got involved, which explained the blood on my melon. We appear to have received a good kicking once down as well.

The form the nurse filled in while we waited for him to wake up was pretty funny too. Gave her a long story about getting mugged and all sorts of fantasy but she saw right through me and wrote 'Dronk en het baklei' - Pissed and fighting. I think the smell might have given it away.

I think he eventually ended up in 4 Recce. We had a fair number of foreign blokes scattered about back in the day but the unit with the most expat soldiers was 44 Para, of whom a large number were Brits.

Just had Physio today , chatting to the chap he was asking about my background to figure out why my shoulder was hurting. Said ex mil and we kept talking. He is Dutch , did his uni in Holland in about 74 . In those days he explained the first two boys in every family had to do national service. He was first born so as soon as he finished his degree he did a runner to Portugal. Been here ever since.

Knew him well, he was responsible for recruiting me into the RTR, he ended up as a Brigadier as Comd Armoured in HQ 1 BR Corps, having commanded 2 RTR as you say he hailed from Rhodesia.

Ran into an Ozmate who was on his way to join SF in SA. We got a bit pissed and ended up at a party that went sideways when he stabbed some gobby clutchplate with a fork in the kitchen. I punched the first one off his back turned around to block any others and the lights went out.

Woke up on the sidewalk outside the house with Sean out cold next to me. Dragged him to my car and got him to A&E where he eventually woke up and they told me the arm I'd been dragging had a broken collarbone (Oops! Sorry...). He also told me the reason the lights went out was some bloke with a half brick had got involved, which explained the blood on my melon. We appear to have received a good kicking once down as well.

The form the nurse filled in while we waited for him to wake up was pretty funny too. Gave her a long story about getting mugged and all sorts of fantasy but she saw right through me and wrote 'Dronk en het baklei' - Pissed and fighting. I think the smell might have given it away.

I think he eventually ended up in 4 Recce. We had a fair number of foreign blokes scattered about back in the day but the unit with the most expat soldiers was 44 Para, of whom a large number were Brits.
Remind me not to stay in your vicinity when drinking. ;-)

Wasn't my fault. Bloody loud Aussie picked a fight with a herd of clutchplates and it would have been ungentlemanly to join in on their side.

Latest Threads