Brits in Foreign Armies

yank_eyetie

Old-Salt
@jumpinjarhead -
Adding to the posthumous awards:
President Trump announced this week that Colonel Rescorla will be awarded the Presidential Citizens Medal for his actions on 9-11. No word yet on when and where the award ceremony will take place.
I hope they present the award at the memorial in New York. His remains were never recovered so it is his final resting place.
No idea why he was not given the award before this.
Today:

I lived in a hiring in Limassol in 1968. There was a bit of a rush to get the then Mrs. Ex_crab to Princess Mary's in the southern SBA for the actual birth as my eldest, if born outside the SBA, could have been eligible for National Guard call up at 18.
Is this not an urban myth? Typically children of foreign forces don't get Residing state citizenship under a series of bilateral SOFAs. One of our children was born in Italy - off base, as it were - and in spite of being given an Italian birth certificate, he doesn't qualify for Italian citizenship (and more importantly, an EU passport). Similarly children born in Singapore prior to withdrawal in 1971 are not Singaporeans.

Last edited:
One of the greatest examples of Brits serving in the Canadian Army is in the ranks of the original PPCLI at the outbreak of the First World War. The regiment was raised with private funds and the majority of the original muster were ex-British Army, without them the regiment would never have got off the ground or exist today.

The British have been contributing continuously to the Canadian Army since it’s inception, it was common to offer employment and fast tracked immigration to soldiers with something to offer, generally as nco’s and instructors. A good example is two gents I knew now passed on, a Pipe Major from the SG and and a drummer from the RS, both recruited by the RCAF to improve their P&D’s. Irony is these days the tables have turned, the ASBM&HD is now trying to recruit Canadian pipers and drummers to join the British Army.....
As previously noted, Australasian forces still heavily recruit across the SNCO and middle-ranked officer groups. Sone 40% of the famed ANZACs of WWI were born in Britain or Ireland.

morsk

LE
Had a Greek bloke who was doing a PhD alongside me who received his call up papers. He had no real reason to avoid it after he had completed the degree, but managed to get a job lecturing in the UK and had the uni write a letter of excuse on his behalf every year until he had passed the age requirement. His only problem was he could not dare to go home to Greece in case they decided to nab him at the airport and force him into NS.
So either weak or a coward or both then?

morsk

LE
How many of the US Civil War combatants would have been recent arrivals from the UK? Given the demographics of immigrants in the US of the time there must have been thousands, surely?
The boats from Ireland in america unloaded the fighting age men, got them to sign up with the promise of looking after the rest of the family, fed them, kitted them out and put them on another ship to fight. All within hours not days.

The boats from Ireland in america unloaded the fighting age men, got them to sign up with the promise of looking after the rest of the family, fed them, kitted them out and put them on another ship to fight. All within hours not days.
I read about that also, literally "you want to live here, you need to fight first" oh by the way welcome to America..

morsk

LE
I read about that also, literally "you want to live here, you need to fight first" oh by the way welcome to America..
Yeah right. americans haven't changed have they?

So either weak or a coward or both then?
We are talking Greece. At the time there was nothing going on so no real danger, or risk to him. He was fit and very clever, bit of a dick, but not totally unlikeable. I lost all respect for him after he started going on about wanting to avoid service, and the stupidity of national service and the military.

There have been stories of people living in Britain returning to their homelands to be surprised by being called up for national service. True or not I don't know.
Someone I used to know of Italian descent went to visit his aunt in Italy shortly after his 18th birthday.
a couple of days later 2 Italian cops knocked on the door and enquired why he hadn't reported for National Service. He explained the circumstances and they politely told him it would mean he would not be able to visit Italy until he was over conscription age.
So he did 2 years as an officer in the Alpine Corp and loved it.
Tony Brancato for any Ducati fans out there.

Latest Threads