Brits in Foreign Armies

There were some posthumous honors including:
Rescorla was honored with the White Cross of Cornwall/An Grows Wyn a Gernow award from his native Cornwall in 2003 by the Revived Cornish Stannary Parliament.
In 2009, Fort Benning, Georgia, unveiled a statue of Rescorla.

@jumpinjarhead -
Adding to the posthumous awards:
President Trump announced this week that Colonel Rescorla will be awarded the Presidential Citizens Medal for his actions on 9-11. No word yet on when and where the award ceremony will take place.
I hope they present the award at the memorial in New York. His remains were never recovered so it is his final resting place.
No idea why he was not given the award before this.

@jumpinjarhead -
Adding to the posthumous awards:
President Trump announced this week that Colonel Rescorla will be awarded the Presidential Citizens Medal for his actions on 9-11. No word yet on when and where the award ceremony will take place.
I hope they present the award at the memorial in New York. His remains were never recovered so it is his final resting place.
No idea why he was not given the award before this.
You mean the ever evil Trumpster honoring someone of British heritage? Some heads exploding across the pond no doubt.

You mean the ever evil Trumpster honoring someone of British heritage? Some heads exploding across the pond no doubt.
Don't worry, not many heads will explode as Irish and British media NEVER say anything positive about Trump.
US media rarely post positive things either.

I can't wait to see how the plastic paddies react to the President honouring a former British paratrooper.

I recall tales of some British Greek Cypriots getting quite a rude shock when they went back to the island on holi-bobs.
Completely true my other half is Greek Cypriot and thought it would be handy to sort the kids out with Cypriot passports no issue until our son who was warned never to travel to Cyprus after his 18th birthday on his Cypriot passport. Being stupid he did had a great holiday until it was home time poor sod never made it past check in. Not the best phone call we have ever had the wife went nuts me I pissed my self laughing whilst being screamed at by a very pissed off wife. He did six months be for getting their version of a medical discharge he trashed his knee abseiling. Health and safety is not great in the Cypriot National Guard. Poor sod has to go to Nicosia to get a chit to come home when he goes on holiday. Did him a world of good sloppy layabout came home fit less his knee and with a changed attitude went to collage uni then did his masters and is on track for his PhD the short sharp shock works.

MARTOK

Old-Salt
There were some posthumous honors including:
Rescorla was honored with the White Cross of Cornwall/An Grows Wyn a Gernow award from his native Cornwall in 2003 by the Revived Cornish Stannary Parliament.
In 2009, Fort Benning, Georgia, unveiled a statue of Rescorla.

This is his memorial in Hayle.

1569002985738.png

1569003020845.png

There have been stories of people living in Britain returning to their homelands to be surprised by being called up for national service. True or not I don't know.
There was one on permanent barrier duty on the UN road between Dhekelia and Nicosia in 1986.

A gawdelpme young cockerney lad of Turkish birth who had gone to the homeland one year to holiday briefly with Grandma . . . .

Not best pleased, lemme tell you!

There was one on permanent barrier duty on the UN road between Dhekelia and Nicosia in 1986.

A gawdelpme young cockerney lad of Turkish birth who had gone to the homeland one year to holiday briefly with Grandma . . . .

Not best pleased, lemme tell you!
Being at the other end, Episkopi, I personally never encountered any of the mythical British lads doing Greek/Turkish national service. However I did meet a lad,another cockney, who was in the SBA Police. He volunteered though. Some of the lads knew him quite well and he was sometimes to be seen in Limassol on the lash.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
I remember that porch and that rocker. Seems to me that I spent a pleasant evening on that porch with friends, hoisting a tumbler or two of Jack Daniels, discussing the results of the day's range shoot. A tip of the kevlar to a fine Southern gentleman who was the perfect host.(And he's got an arms room that even I was impressed with.) If you couldn't find something to shoot in that gentleman's Aladdin's cave that was to your liking, then you would be very hard to please indeed.

Rescue dogs there were aplenty, but the toothsome Miss Slug bowed out and didn't show during my visit. Quelle Dommage! Maybe there will be a return engagement in the future. (?)

JJH is going to have to add flagpoles to his porch for the next range fire. No reason we can't fly our sovereign nation's flag in addition to Old Glory and the Union flag. And the US Army flag so that we can get away from the overload of USMC spirit. (Yay, our team, we of the Army say. none of your throaty Hoohah.)

View attachment 415350View attachment 415351View attachment 415352
Nice of you to be proper and placing the British flag in its rightful place; on the right of the line!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
We had a former Brit SBS officer in my USMC Force Reconnaissance unit in the 70's. He was as you would expect, quite good but regrettably was sent packing after an interview without coffee when it was discovered that 1) he was "servicing" the wives of deployed ORs and 2) he posed nude with the rest of his rugby team for a photo in Cosmo magazine.
1) quite right he was binned - should never have been caught!
2). NFB (Normal For Booties)

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
One of the greatest examples of Brits serving in the Canadian Army is in the ranks of the original PPCLI at the outbreak of the First World War. The regiment was raised with private funds and the majority of the original muster were ex-British Army, without them the regiment would never have got off the ground or exist today.

The British have been contributing continuously to the Canadian Army since it’s inception, it was common to offer employment and fast tracked immigration to soldiers with something to offer, generally as nco’s and instructors. A good example is two gents I knew now passed on, a Pipe Major from the SG and and a drummer from the RS, both recruited by the RCAF to improve their P&D’s. Irony is these days the tables have turned, the ASBM&HD is now trying to recruit Canadian pipers and drummers to join the British Army.....
It was said that 67% of those fine soldiers that arrived from Canada in 1914 were British Born.
A further story: I once read a book regarding the formation Of PPCLI and the first commanding officer, he that did the funding. He lost his leg early in the war at Ypres but served on. I think his name was Gault? He later became an MP for Taunton. A few years after reading the book I was in a cellar of a house in Somerset. There in the cellar was two packing cases with his name on both with the stenciled letters PPCLI. I asked about the box, the owner said it belonged to her Grandfather. Lt Col Gault? of the Patricias. She had no interest in the military kit in the boxes, but allowed me a brief glance inside to see his service dress and some field kit.

Last edited:
It was said that 67% of those fine soldiers that arrived from Canada in 1914 were British Born.
A further story: I once read a book regarding the formation Of PPCLI and the first commanding officer, he that did the funding. He lost his leg early in the war but served on. I think his name was Gault? He later became an MP for Taunton. A few years after reading the book I was in a cellar of a house in Somerset. There in the cellar was two packing cases with his name on both with the stenciled letters PPCLI. I asked about the box, the owner said it belonged to her Grandfather. Lt Col Gault? of the Patricias. She had no interest in the military kit in the boxes, but allowed me a brief glance inside to see his service dress and some field kit.
Yes, Hamilton Gault was his name, the book I read was called First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias and was quite interesting, more about his life than just the regiment. He was commissioned in the Royal Canadian Dragoons and participated in the Boer war and attempted afterwords to join a British cavalry regiment and was rejected. Ended up in Montreal with the 5th Royal Scots (Canadian Black Watch) Canadian militia as a Capt, then eventually went on to form the Pats.

I can't wait to see how the plastic paddies react to the President honouring a former British paratrooper.
Most Americans think rescorlas a ******* hero even if they be of irish heritage

You have to get it out of your friggen warped mind that every single American with irish blood is a PIRA supporter. This isnt the 70's when you lot were busy backshooting civvies in belfast and taking out the eyes of Emma Groves as she stood in her Kitchen with a baton round

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer

You have to get it out of your friggen warped mind that every single American with irish blood is a PIRA supporter. This isnt the 70's when you lot were busy backshooting civvies in belfast and taking out the eyes of Emma Groves as she stood in her Kitchen with a baton round
A real Pity to derail this interesting thread! go onto the Banner thread where you can rant your wrath and get back what you deserve!

Nice of you to be proper and placing the British flag in its rightful place; on the right of the line!
I can't take credit for that...it's JJH's porch and he set out the flags to welcome Her Majesty The Snail and assorted flunkies that accompanied her on her Royal Visit. But I'm sure he appreciates your good thoughts :mrgreen:

Frog footmen.JPG

Mufulira

Old-Salt
In the Federal (Rhodesia & Nyasaland) Army there were fair numbers of Brits throughout and only few were rookies, most had served throughout the Empire and Commonwealth and were well trained & impressively skilled. The Saffies were also abundant as their UDF (Union Defence Force) was undergoing its periodic anti-Engels shit fits esp in the Army. Their Navy * Air Force needed litreate, numerate folks so many ground pounders migrated north to sunny climes. The pay was reasonable and prospects seemed enticing .
We shared Barracks with C Sqn SAS when in Ndola, their RSM, "Granny" Standish was an Arnhem veteran and old he might have been, he always held the pace in route marches a really tough and admirable WO.
In my Sqn Selous Scouts there was a good sprinkling of gongs from WWII, Palestine Police, Kenya, Malaya, Korea &c all this went into developing a pretty good recce unit which was required at the time of the Congo debacle.

1569012325954.png

As I see Ruckerwocman has already clarified the photo, I will but say it is something I (yes that evil close minded isolationist Septic Marine ;-)) try to do for all our military guests from abroad--we have quite a collection of national ensigns.

Latest Threads