Brits in Afghan armed with RPG

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by giftedamateur, Jul 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Perhaps not. Perhaps they are cheap and there's loads of them, and at short enough ranges, pretty effective. We ae talking maybe 10's of pounds per shot, rather than thousands.

2. Or working with the OMLT perhaps and giving the ANA some Operational Mentoring.

3. Note also old US desert cam, US type lid, us(?) body armour.

Maybe not UK forces.

4. yeah, i couldnt make it out very well. after a second look, i perhaps concur

5. Channel four news just showing British troops using an RPG.

Bloody fantastic and accurate weapon up to 100 mtrs.
    And free!

Someting tells me the old 66 would be very handy in afgoonistan.

6. We have 66's in theatre called the LASM (Light Anti-Structural Munitions). We also have normal 66's or we did last year anyway.

7. Why waste your ammo when you can use your enemys

8. They're not the enemy's RPG's. They're the ANSF's.

9. Thought it might have been the new ASM (big brother of the 66mm LASM), a version of summat called the MATADOR Wiki tells me.

Anyone know what MATADOR looks like and if that was one? Saw the footage on the telly and couldn't make out if it was some new wpn or an older RPG7...

10. [​IMG][/URL][/img]

11. I always wondered why they dont still use the Carl Gustav 84mm in Afghanistan

12. That's the problem when the offie's closed and you can't get a drink...you start to worry about the shittiest things.

13. Did I hear a rumour that someone somewhere was thinking about bringing them back into use for that very reason?

I'm told so much shite my tinhat is in constant readiness these days

Edited to add:

"In recent years the weapon has found new life in a variety of roles. The British Special Air Service, United States Special Forces and United States Army Rangers use M3s in the bunker-busting and anti-vehicle roles, while the German Bundeswehr maintains small numbers of M2s for battlefield illumination. Many armies continue to use it as a viable anti-armor weapon, especially against 1950s and 1960s-era tanks and other armored vehicles, which are still in use worldwide".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Gustav_recoilless_rifle

14. Is that a wah? :)