Brits in Afghan armed with RPG

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Perhaps not. Perhaps they are cheap and there's loads of them, and at short enough ranges, pretty effective. We ae talking maybe 10's of pounds per shot, rather than thousands.

Channel four news just showing British troops using an RPG.

Bloody fantastic and accurate weapon up to 100 mtrs.
And free!

Someting tells me the old 66 would be very handy in afgoonistan.

Why waste your ammo when you can use your enemys

Thought it might have been the new ASM (big brother of the 66mm LASM), a version of summat called the MATADOR Wiki tells me.

Anyone know what MATADOR looks like and if that was one? Saw the footage on the telly and couldn't make out if it was some new wpn or an older RPG7...

I always wondered why they dont still use the Carl Gustav 84mm in Afghanistan

B

Biscuits_AB

tropper66 said:
That's the problem when the offie's closed and you can't get a drink...you start to worry about the shittiest things.

tropper66 said:
Did I hear a rumour that someone somewhere was thinking about bringing them back into use for that very reason?

I'm told so much shite my tinhat is in constant readiness these days

Edited to add:

"In recent years the weapon has found new life in a variety of roles. The British Special Air Service, United States Special Forces and United States Army Rangers use M3s in the bunker-busting and anti-vehicle roles, while the German Bundeswehr maintains small numbers of M2s for battlefield illumination. Many armies continue to use it as a viable anti-armor weapon, especially against 1950s and 1960s-era tanks and other armored vehicles, which are still in use worldwide".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Gustav_recoilless_rifle

Don’t laugh i was at odd bins only the other day when i struck me the Charlie G why don’t we use it I asked the lad behind the counter but he had only been working there a few days none of the regulars down the park knew either i can’t sleep thinking about it. Can any one shine any light on the subject?

Fallschirmjager said:
tropper66 said:
Is that a wah? :)
The septics have recently bought a load for there 10th mountain div, you know the only yank div to use Landrovers

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Fallschirmjager said:
tropper66 said:
Why should it be a Wah? The Cloggies, Aussies, and (I am pretty sure) others use them there, and did in Iraq as well. There are all sorts of warheads available for it nowadays, and, while still being bloody heavy (my back has never recovered!) they can be vehicle borne quite easily - such as mounted in the back of Aussie LAVs along with a good supply of ammo. Very accurate, cheaper in the not-very-long run than disposables, and pack a very hefty punch indeed. Still not nice to carry for any distance mind you.

B

Biscuits_AB

tropper66 said:
Fallschirmjager said:
tropper66 said:
The septics have recently bought a load for there 10th mountain div, you know the only yank div to use Landrovers
The breadth of your knowledge is staggering.