• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Brits Are Going Nuts

Give us time.... we've only got use to the concept, took us years just to accept that whiplash is a real medical condition/word, let alone import the idea of falsified insurance accidents involving the injury from the USA.

Here's a global view of mental health from Wikipedia:
Global mental health - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The numbers relate to " Age-standardised disability-adjusted life year (DALY) rates from Neuropsychiatric conditions by country (per 100,000 inhabitants)". In short, the more red the colour, the crazier are the people, and the more yellow the colour, the less crazy.

mentalmap.jpg

mentalkey.png

It looks the craziest people are the Americans, the Brazilians, the Argentinians (who would have guessed?), and the Chileans. Perhaps the Brazilians and the Chileans are being driven mad by being forced to live next door to the Argentinians.

In Europe, it looks like the French really are crazy (although not as crazy as the Americans), while the southern Europeans are care free and not at all worried about their future. The Russians look to be moody and perhaps suffering from drink.

In the far east, we can see that it's the South Koreans who look to be ready to go off the deep end, not the Northerners. Japan however seems to have not a worry in the world (or perhaps they're just inscrutable).

It's the Africans however that seem to prove the old adage that money won't buy you happiness.

Here's a global view of mental health from Wikipedia:
Global mental health - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The numbers relate to " Age-standardised disability-adjusted life year (DALY) rates from Neuropsychiatric conditions by country (per 100,000 inhabitants)". In short, the more red the colour, the crazier are the people, and the more yellow the colour, the less crazy.

View attachment 133573

View attachment 133574

It looks the craziest people are the Americans, the Brazilians, the Argentinians (who would have guessed?), and the Chileans. Perhaps the Brazilians and the Chileans are being driven mad by being forced to live next door to the Argentinians.

In Europe, it looks like the French really are crazy (although not as crazy as the Americans), while the southern Europeans are care free and not at all worried about their future. The Russians look to be moody and perhaps suffering from drink.

In the far east, we can see that it's the South Koreans who look to be ready to go off the deep end, not the Northerners. Japan however seems to have not a worry in the world (or perhaps they're just inscrutable).

It's the Africans however that seem to prove the old adage that money won't buy you happiness.
Excellent!

Having been to Alaska a few years ago, I would have though it would have been coloured as red as a great big red thing covered in red paint and covered in red glitter. Other than the NT in Australia I have not seen such a selection of mentalists walking the streets unfettered.

They all seemed to take the 2nd Amendment to the max as well...as is their right JJH.

I might suggest that the numbers for the US reflect the fact that most people in the US have decent private healthcare that provides mental health services at no or minimal cost so many go get care because "my husband does not understand my needs" or "my coworkers are nasty" When Obummercare comes into full effect effect the numbers will drop. The mental health industry has gotten legislation that requires all insurance to cover lots of mental health care.

I should note that I am Septic and have never gone to a pshrink.
(I thought about it once but the voices told me I didn't need to see a pshrink. I figured if I trusted the voices when they told me to buy more ammo I could trust them on this also. )

I resent the implication that **** me the floor is dissolving. David Bowie? We're not in Kansas any more.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

M

Mark The Convict

Maybe that's the steadying influence of my consistent refusal to vote for ***** like Krudd (other politicians are available, see Terms and Conditions)

The guy who is likely to be the next prime minister here (Canada) after the current government gets heaved out at the next election has just promised to legalize pot. Not my cup of tea personally, but I imagine its possible people may get a bit more mellow here after that.

The guy who is likely to be the next prime minister here (Canada) after the current government gets heaved out at the next election has just promised to legalize pot. Not my cup of tea personally, but I imagine its possible people may get a bit more mellow here after that.
Far out dude(said in a mellow, Devi-may-care tone and lexicon evocative of the late (19) 60's)

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Far out dude(said in a mellow, Devi-may-care tone and lexicon evocative of the late (19) 60's)
To head off any thread derailment, the "mellow" was intended as a joke (as was your reply), and I don't want to turn this thread into a (serious) debate about pot. I was thinking of the standard British jokes about the Dutch. As I said, it's not something that I care to indulge in personally, so I'm not going to defend smoking pot (or tobacco, for that matter), although I have an open mind about how to deal with the problems it presents in society.

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
I might suggest that the numbers for the US reflect the fact that most people in the US have decent private healthcare that provides mental health services at no or minimal cost so many go get care because "my husband does not understand my needs" or "my coworkers are nasty" When Obummercare comes into full effect effect the numbers will drop. The mental health industry has gotten legislation that requires all insurance to cover lots of mental health care.

I should note that I am Septic and have never gone to a pshrink.
(I thought about it once but the voices told me I didn't need to see a pshrink. I figured if I trusted the voices when they told me to buy more ammo I could trust them on this also. )
I would also suggest that (as the more extreme of examples) that the numbers of yanks being put onto 2nd generation antipsychotics for reasons such as:-

Being a teenager that gets caught going out to have a few beers with mates...
Developing apathy for the many extra-curricular activities they have been doing at parent's behest since they were about 4...
Being argumentative and confrontational with their parents...

The rest of the world (including much of the USA that ISN'T snobby aspiring middle class with delusions of grandeur) just views the above as just being teenager. Or did... Such antics are starting to crop up here as well.

Additional reasons for the spike in UK figures? As I mentioned on the mental health thread before it got too crayoned on, there is also what I have taken to calling "designer depression" but also doley depression too.

Designer depression is almost always observed in the young- 17 or 18 to late 20s. Sufferers are almost always in fairly affluent areas (Stockton Heath and Wilmslow are the areas I have directly observed in pharmacies and colleagues have also agreed when I have outlined my sarcastic verbal thesis). And they ALWAYS seem to be dressed to the nines in the latest designer fashions, have a late model iPhone or Samsung Galaxy and the females always have carefully applied makeup and jewellery. And they are always, always, ALWAYS prescribed Cipralex the branded escitalopram (to be fair its not off patent yet)

Doley depression is a lot harder to spot and may be more wide spread or indeed less common. But the main indicators are the prescribed drug is Fluoxetine 20mg capsules, one daily, very little other medication other than smoking cessation type stuff the patient gets free prescriptions as they are on Job Seekers (and have been for a couple of years at least) and often smells like they have been having a good session if they come into the pharmacy in the mid afternoon and its been a nice summer this year...

For once the signature block does not apply. I rarely get more cynical than this. My main gripe isn't the cost (which is relatively speaking a drop in the bucket) its the continuing stigma these sorts bring to REAL mental illnesses which from observations can be ******* horrendous enough without people viewing the sufferer as either a scrounger or a pain-in-the-arse flighty teenager. However these two phenoma... phenoo... THINGS we deffinately can't blame the yanks for. They were invented here!

It used to be said that you could stand next to an Englishman at a bus stop and not know he was having a nervous breakdown. That was in the days when we had an empire, giving the wife the short answer was acceptable and ten pints a night was the norm.

Sigh....

Latest Threads