Britons join the jihadist ranks to fight in Somalia

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by singha61, May 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Observer, Sunday 2 May 2010
    A growing number of Britons are answering the call to jihad in Somalia and joining the ranks of militants linked to al-Qaida ahead of an American-backed drive next month to strengthen the country's army.

Sources say that the influx, which includes Britons of Pakistani origin, is heading to the Horn of Africa as the US tries to shore up Somalia's government in the face of a broadening Islamist insurgency.

Warnings have been sounded about British-based groups offering funding and expertise to individuals seeking to travel to Somalia to fight alongside al-Shabab, the militia aligned with al-Qaida's global campaign.

US State Department sources said yesterday that it had noted an influx of "foreign fighters" arriving in Somalia to swell the ranks of al-Shabab. Popular routes from Britain to Somalia involve Kenya or Djibouti, the small republic that borders Somalia on its north west. One western official said some flights to the republic had, at one stage, been dubbed the "Djibouti express" because on occasion so many young Britons were on board. The precise scale of the exodus is unclear, but "scores" of British fighters are known to have travelled to Somalia.
  2. "Foreign Fighters" is right, these people are NOT Britons.. they are the strangers within our gates:

The Stranger within my gate,
    He may be true or kind,
    But he does not talk my talk--
    I cannot feel his mind
    I see the face and the eyes and mouth
    But not the soul behind.

The men of my own stock,
    They may do ill or well,
    But they tell the lies I am wonted to,
    They are used to the lies I tell;
    And we do not need interpreters
    When we go to buy and sell.

The stranger within my gates
    He may be evil or good
    But I cannot tell what powers control,
    What reasons sway his mood;
    Nor when the Gods of his far-off land
    Shall repossess his blood.

The men of my own stock,
    Bitter bad they may be,
    But at least they hear the things I hear
    And see the things I see;
    And whatever I think of them and their likes,
    They think of the likes of me.

This was my father's belief,
    And this is also mine:
    Let all the corn be one sheaf
    And the grapes be all one vine
    Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
    By bitter bread and wine.

3. I have to agree with IVV, there is no way on this septic isle can they be called "Britons". These people need to be identified and there "British" status re-visited and while I'm at it, I would check the leanings of their family both immediate and distant.
    And people wonder why the "Spams" won't so many checks on Brits flying to CONUS.
    We in the west have got to wake up and realise that "some" hardline moslem jihadists are after a fight and they know that our hands are tied by the geneva convention and EHRA.
    In my humble opinion its time too take the gloves off.
  4. hehehe...going back home are they?
  5. They're probably going there because its safer than inner city UK. (All the really dangerous Somalies seem to be in this country!!) :x
  6. No PACE in Somalia, I'd rather deal with a domestic violent extremist out there than in the UK.
  7. Surely this constitutes treason? When was the last time someone was successfully prosecuted for treason in the UK, or anywhere in the Commonwealth, for that matter?
  8. Simple solution, hire those Israelis and their quite frankly stunning bulldozers, have them start at one end of the country and finish at the other.
  9. Could we just start with Manchester and Liverpool? :)
  10. If you put Bradistan on that list you have a deal.
  11. Don't forget some peace activists for the bulldozers to run over 'accidentally'
  12. We could send the entire Labour cabinet there on a "fact finding" visit.
  13. Better make it quick!