Britons are suspicious towards Muslims, study finds

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/6958571/Britons-are-suspicious-towards-Muslims-study-finds.html

The British public are concerned at the rise of Islam in the UK and fear that the country is deeply divided along religious lines, according to a major survey.
More than half the population would be strongly opposed to a mosque being built in their neighbourhood, the study found.

A large proportion of the country believes that the multicultural experiment has failed, with 52 per cent considering that Britain is deeply divided along religious lines and 45 per cent saying that religious diversity has had a negative impact
Only a quarter of Britons feel positive towards Muslims, while more than a third report feeling “cool” towards them.

The findings, to be published later this month in the respected British Social Attitudes Survey, show that far greater opposition to Islam than to any other faith and reveal that most people are willing to limit freedom of speech in an attempt to silence religious extremists.

David Voas, professor of population studies at Manchester University, who analysed the data, said that people were becoming intolerant towards all religions because of “the degree to which Islam is perceived as a threat to social cohesion”.

He said: “Muslims deserve to be the focus of policy on social cohesion, because no other group elicits so much disquiet.”

The “size and visibility” of Islamic communities has led to serious concerns about their impact on British society, Prof Voas concludes.

“This apparent threat to national identity (or even, some fear, to security) reduces the willingness to accommodate free expression.

“Opinion is divided, and many people remain tolerant of unpopular speech as well as distinctive dress and religious behaviour, but a large segment of the British population is unhappy about these subcultures.”

Researchers interviewed 4,486 people for the survey, which is published annually by the National Centre for Social Research. They found that respondents with no qualifications were twice as likely to have negative attitudes towards Muslims as with those who had degrees.

The report describes a high level of unease regarding the UK’s Muslim population, estimated at around two million, with many people considering that it poses a threat to the nation’s identity.

While 55 per cent say that they would be “bothered” by the construction of a large mosque in their community, only 15 per cent would be similarly concerned by a large church.

Nevertheless, the research found considerable suspicion towards those of any faith who hold deeply religious views, while there was a widespread reluctance to see matters of faith intruding into the public sphere.

Nearly half (45 per cent) of Britons believe that laws and policy decisions would be worse if more politicians were deeply religious - almost double the number who think that they would be better.

I wonder if anyone will listen?

I really love studies that tell us the obvious. The amount of money wasted on them, the time consumed by people asking the dumb questions, in order for us to be told something we already know!

Sunray Minor, I could have told them that and I get most of my information about Old Blighty from on here.
And I would have only charged them fifty bucks.

I suppose Professor David Voas will have the pleasure of sayin "I told you so" once someting bad happens.

I was so shocked and saddened to read this. How can anybody dislike persons just because they are members of the religion of peace.

Shocking bigotry!!!

Why do people feel this way!!!!

On a more serious note why did they need to pay someone for this report. It makes about as much sense as the time the US NASA spent $500,000 to determine that if they had female astronauts would changes be required in the liquid waste disposal equipment. (this did not include the funds required to redesign said equipment)

Apparently, the next survey to be done by the British Social Attitudes Survey is 'Do people like Brussel Sprouts?'

I can't wait to read their findings

Z

Zarathustra

Personally I think that the majority of the people surveyed must have a bit of trouble telling the difference between Islam as a religion and the tiny minority of extremists.

There was a better article in the Times recently that revealed that mosques in the UK are preventing the growth of indigenous British Islam because the Immams are all from overseas and bring with them archaic cultural and religious interpretations that really have no place in our society. That's where the problem is rooted. Until the Government grasps that particular nettle, which incidentally, would I believe, find favour with a lot of young British muslims, the problems and divisions will not only continue, but get worse.

RearWords said:
I really love studies that tell us the obvious. The amount of money wasted on them, the time consumed by people asking the dumb questions, in order for us to be told something we already know!
Totally agree with you!! i remember seeing a scientific study that cost a large amount of money stating dogs feel jealousy and pride (this was 6 months ago) surely anyone that owns a dog knows this lol

ban and prefabably kill any saudi inmans and saudi funding for mosques there brand of islam is the equilant of phelps godhatesfags.com on drugs :roll:

Tastytoggle said:
... preventing the growth of indigenous British Islam because the Immams are all from overseas and bring with them archaic cultural and religious interpretations that really have no place in our society. That's where the problem is rooted. Until the Government grasps that particular nettle ...
Oh, it's up to the Government to do something about it, is it? Nothing to do with 'indigenous' British Muslims, then? If you think that New Labour are ever going to do anything about foreign "Immams" or anything else remotely Islamic (apart from licking the arrse of every gobby Muslim thug that crosses their path), then I envy you in your happiness.

I take your point. I think there's such a degree of indoctrination that it might take generations for young British muslims to rebel en masse.

Well, I'd like to think that there's even the slightest chance that British Muslims, young or otherwise, will ever "rebel" against (I assume you mean) the murderous and utterly inflexible 'interpretation' of Islam currently so fashionable, whether peddled by imported clerics or otherwise. But I don't think there is; we now live in a divided society and it will stay that way till the problem reaches its (probably bloody) conclusion, one way or the other. Tragic but, as far as I can see, inevitable as long as we continue on our current path of weakness and appeasement. Militant Islam isn't interested in compromise, only in conquest, and it won't go away until it's beaten.

Tastytoggle said:
There was a better article in the Times recently that revealed that mosques in the UK are preventing the growth of indigenous British Islam because the Immams are all from overseas and bring with them archaic cultural and religious interpretations that really have no place in our society. That's where the problem is rooted. Until the Government grasps that particular nettle, which incidentally, would I believe, find favour with a lot of young British muslims, the problems and divisions will not only continue, but get worse.
I can see the point and it is probably true in some cases... but Imams have to be trained in a Muslim country. Our country isn't Muslim so even a British pot-Immam has to leave our sunny shores and go to a Muslim country to learn. Many Immams in Britain are foreign by birth.

The Imams will train in a country where Islam is in ascendancy and does not have to yield or bend to people of differing faiths. A country where Islamic beleivs are the be all and end all of life, including politics.

So there are problems there, I would think, when they first take their place.

Jihadists groom children in the UK under 10

Police have identified children as young as seven being groomed for terrorism, with some expressing a wish to become suicide bombers.

Up to 10 primary school pupils, aged between seven and 10, have been placed on a government outreach programme for individuals considered at risk of being radicalised and turning to violence.

Some have taken inspiration from jihadi websites or after viewing extremist material in Islamic bookshops.

One child was referred to the programme by his teacher after writing on a school book: “I want to be a suicide bomber.”

Come back Pope Urban all is forgiven

One major problem UK mosques have is that many Imams they bring in are the ones unable to secure positions in other islmaic counties due to their 'less than desirable' views. The really good ones who teach tolerence and interpret the Koran in a more up to date fashion tend to stick to their native counties. In short, we get the dross that wouldn't be touched with a barge pole in their homelands.

crow_bag said:
Personally I think that the majority of the people surveyed must have a bit of trouble telling the difference between Islam as a religion and the tiny minority of extremists.

I disagree.
I fully understand the difference between Islam as a religion and the tiny minority of Muslim extemists. I still don't want to see Bhurka's wandering the street or a Mosque built in my town.
I do view Islam with suspicion and I would prefer it and its practioners to be elsewhere.
I'm all for religious freedom but I am completely opposed to our society changing to incorporate Islam into our culture.
40% of Muslims in the UK believe Sharia Law is the way forward, the Muslim Council of Britain advocate Sharia for the UK.
I don't want any of it but that doesn't mean I don't understand, it just means I don't like it.